Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Probably will be about the only one, too. Ain't hardly anyone and there dang sure ain't anything in NM. :rolleyes:

Do you ever come down towards Ruidiso or Cloudcroft for rides?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have never gone that far, my parents live in mt air. That is the furthest i have gone on the bike. I am in the albuquerque area. How is the scenery? I go through the crest and through the mountains, nice curves, great scenery, lots of traffic though, 10 am to 1pm is the best time to go that route. light traffic easy passing. If you are ever up this way shoot me a pm.

·
Registered
492 Posts
All right, I'll take you up on that. I have been wanting to get up there - might as well do it on the bike. Prolly be a while though.

The riding down here is freaking awesome. Check out a map for the roads that connect Ruidiso-Cloudcroft-Mayhill-Sunspot. Some parts are tight, nasty twisties and others are flat out sweepers. But one thing there isn't any of and that's straight roads. The weekends during the summer aren't very good, too many coppers. Weekdays though, it's nothing but a racetrack.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I'm here as well. I don't spend as much time here as I do the ZRXOA, but I visit. Hey Yellow-250, are you in the NM Air National Guard?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah the roads in the mountains by alamogordo are sweet as hell, that is the ONLY thing I liked about that place. Sucks during the winter, since theres freakin snow. There aint shit else to do in New Mexico. Hey kvpZX9, did it snow up there yet?

·
Registered
492 Posts
stanger92 said:
Hey kvpZX9, did it snow up there yet?
I think the first snow fell on the mountains about 3 weeks ago. Nothing is sticking yet though. During mid-day you can still ride up there without freezing your nads off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey there kvp you were with my buddie last year when he went down he was on the red R6 he sadi he was riding down the mountain with the guy on the orange 9r and sice this town is so not big It has to be you. where do you work out of .
oh and hello to everyone else here from nm I am at alamogordo now but from los lunas originally

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh and to reply to DavidABQ post.
reenlist how dare you say that word. If i could of got out yesterday I would have been gone already. and of course I signed up for 6 if i would have signed up for 4 I would be out in march 2003

·
Registered
492 Posts
weezer6 said:
Hey there kvp you were with my buddie last year when he went down he was on the red R6 he sadi he was riding down the mountain with the guy on the orange 9r and sice this town is so not big It has to be you. where do you work out of .
oh and hello to everyone else here from nm I am at alamogordo now but from los lunas originally
If his name is Daniel and he tanked it going into the lefthander just as you enter Mayhill, then that would be me. I think I'm the only one with an orange 9. Dave just had that one so if somebody else has one I haven't seen it and they didn't get it in town.

I work at the tower. When the snow gets off the mountain we need to hook up for a ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
sounds cool man whenever I always ride. Daniel got another R6, and full leathers to protect him.now. Yup you are the only orange one around. alright man just look me up when ever. or talk to richie over at alamo cycle, he is who I have been riding with lately. Hopefully it will get warmer soon.
Oh I am Jonathan McKenzie(just call me Mckenzie, that is all I am known by)
[email protected]f.mil

·
Registered
492 Posts
Mckenzie -

Do you anything about the guy that wrecked over by La Luz Sunday afternoon? A dude I work with said he saw a bunch of sportbikes and cop cars on the side of the road and there was 1 down that had been covered over. I was wondering if it was someone from base. I was thinking about going up to Sunspot Thursday morning if your interested.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Shout out to NM

Nice to see some New Mexicans on this board. I lived there from 1984-1995. Am up in Denver, Colorado now.

Hey "Yellow250", Rio Rancho is my old stomping ground. I visit about 3-4 times a year. My folks still live there. Hope all is well in Rio.

Living in Colorado gives me all the mountain twisties I can stand, but beleive it or not, I still miss ripping up/down the Crest, South 14, and cruising Montgomery on a warm summer night.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rio Rancho has grown in leaps and bounds since 1995, i also give mongomery a wirl or two on the weekends. I have two mustangs. Then there is the bike, that is lots more fun, but dangerous, as there are too many "not so fast and furious" cars not watching out for bikes. The mustangs just attract too much trouble. The ride through the crest is wonderful and a true joy in the fall.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yeah, that town keeps on growing and growing. It's NOTHING like it was when I first moved out there in '86.

So, is the illegal dragracing scene still going on in "Renaissance Park" on west Montgomery? Man, back in 94/95 it was totally out of control. There'd be 50+ cars and 30+ bikes staging races all night long. I remember being out there racing until 4am. I couldn't beleive that the cops didn't put the clamps down on that! (I'm sure they must have by now)

Too bad they closed the dragstrip up behind the airport. That was always a lot of fun. I imagine that having a bike and a pair of Mustangs, but no place to legally dragrace them, must kinda suck.

So, I imagine that the street-racing scene must have picked up since there's no other place to go. Just what Albuquerque needs-more lunatic cage drivers on the road trying to kill us sportbikers!!
Man, I know what you mean about cars not looking out for riders. Albuquerque is REALLY bad about that. I was struck 2 times by cars blowing through stop signs while I lived there.

Well, have fun, be careful, and take care!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts