Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some companies are implanting chips in employees to keep track of them. No way would I have a microchip implanted in me. It would feel like they owned me. I got this off the CNN web site.

ID chips not just for pets any more

Monday, February 13, 2006; Posted: 5:56 p.m. EST (22:56 GMT)

CINCINNATI, Ohio (AP) -- Tiny silicon chips were embedded into two workers who volunteered to help test the tagging technology at a surveillance equipment company, an official said Monday.

The Mexico attorney general's office implanted the so-called RFIDs -- for radio frequency identification chips -- in some employees in 2004 to restrict access to secure areas. Implanting them in the workers at CityWatcher.com is believed to be the first use of the technology in living humans in the United States.

Sean Darks, chief executive of the company, also had one of the chips embedded.

"I have one," he said. "I'm not going to ask somebody to do something I wouldn't do myself. None of my employees are forced to get the chip to keep their job."

The chips are the size of a grain of rice and a doctor embedded them in the forearm just under the surface of the skin, Darks said.

They work "like an access card. There's a reader outside the door; you walk up to the reader, put your arm under it, and it opens the door," Darks said.

Darks said the implants don't enable CityWatcher.com to track employees' movements.

"It's a passive chip. It emits no signal whatsoever," Darks said. "It's the same thing as a keycard."

CityWatcher.com has contracts with six cities to provide cameras and Internet monitoring of high-crime areas, Darks said. The company is experimenting with the chips to identify workers with access to vaults where data and images are kept for police departments, he said.

The technology predates World War II, but has appeared in numerous modern adaptations, such as tracking pets, vehicles and commercial goods at warehouses.

After Hurricane Katrina, as body counts mounted and missing-person reports multiplied, some morgue workers in Mississippi used the tiny computer chips to keep track of unidentified remains.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/02/13/security.chips.ap/index.html

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

There are statists who would sign-up for this microchip in a heartbeat if they were told it could someday combine the functionality of drivers license, credit cards, cellular telephones, E-Zpass, and passport. It is a bad idea and people should heed the wise words of the great Benjamin Franklin when he spoke the following:

"...Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety..."

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
860 Posts
That stuff gives me the willies..Yikes. It's like an Asimov story. I like my Sci-fi to be fiction.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I really dont see the big deal. Its like a swipe card you cant loose. So yeah, if I cant use one of those to replace the however many swipe cards I have to carry around and maybe work as keys for my cage/bike, I'll sign up. It has nothing to do with trading liberty for safety, its trading wallet space for convinience... Seriously I cant think of a single reasonable "con" to this, aside from "Its a little wierd"

Take the time to understand the technology. The system is passive so it tracks you no more than your credit card. I mean, we're all fine with carrying a magnetic strip in our pockets, but not under our skins..

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
phatkidwit1eye said:
That stuff gives me the willies..Yikes. It's like an Asimov story. I like my Sci-fi to be fiction.
Well put. I want the future now :)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is just the idea of having anything placed inside my body that is not there for medical reasons and the idea of becoming "bionic" for other peoples purposes, however convenient. All my instincts say this is a slippery slope I don't want to start on.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Desert-Lad said:
I think it is just the idea of having anything placed inside my body that is not there for medical reasons and the idea of becoming "bionic" for other peoples purposes, however convenient. All my instincts say this is a slippery slope I don't want to start on.
Going severly off topic, but I cant wait to see that day. I mean, the human body is a machine, and while it is a very advanced one, its not perfect. So I'd love to start modding it. A direct data jack would allow me to get my work done in minutes intead of hours, leaving me more time to ride. External memmory could insure I never have to write anything down again. Or by far my favorite is this: Signal normally travels down the axon of a nerve cell via a chemical reaction. This process takes milliseconds and has to be repeated for each cell. There is a simple expiriment you can do prove just how long this takes, I'll explain it if you want. Point is, rip all that seline axon crap out and replace it with wire of fiber optic, which transfer the signal at near the speed of light. What will you get? Reaction times that are thouthands of times faster than the faster human being are naturally capabel off. Rossi would look like a drooling retard in comparison. And we currently have the basic technology to do this (also it would be very difficult, due to the insane ammount of surgery required)
So where do I sign up?

People are off developing better and better prostetics. So when are they going to get so good that it would be worth discardign a perfectly healthy limb for one?

·
Registered
746 Posts
X-men's Wolverine: We could crash hard, get up, dust ourselves off, and keep going. The claws? Could come in handy.

I'm not a religious nut, but isn't this in the bible? They don't say "microchip" but it was something implanted in us to keep track of everyone. Is the apocolypse (SP?) upon us???

Dunt - Dunt - Duunnnn...

-M-

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mstrand_68 said:
X-men's Wolverine: We could crash hard, get up, dust ourselves off, and keep going. The claws? Could come in handy.

I'm not a religious nut, but isn't this in the bible? They don't say "microchip" but it was something implanted in us to keep track of everyone. Is the apocolypse (SP?) upon us???

-M-
I'm not very religous either but I got this at http://www.evangelicaloutreach.org/markbeas.htm .

According to the Scriptures, the "mark of the beast" is received on the right hand or forehead. With modern technology, it is very possible that this mark may be directly linked with a computer chip. But regardless if it is or isn't, everyone who is living immediately before the return of Christ will be forced to take this mark in order to buy or sell anything:

"He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name. This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666" (Rev. 13:16-18).

But this mark, which will be universally issued around the entire world, MUST NOT be received under any circumstances, even by Christians! Scripture goes on to say:

"A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: 'If ANYONE worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name. This calls for patient endurance on the part of THE SAINTS who obey God's commandments and remain faithful to Jesus' " (Rev. 14:9-12).

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Yep.. Revelations make for good execution quotes...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
In case anyone haven’t noticed, I'm much less religious than either of you, and therefore considerably more excited about the possibility of becoming a bionic Uberman than I am concerned about the consequences of those actions on my eternal soul.

Such an attitude scares the crap out of they guys that come by the house on Wednesdays wanting to talk to me about Jesus.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK Vash, just wait until some 15 year old computer geek figures out your programming and has you doing jumping jacks in your underware at the local Starbucks! :D

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Desert-Lad said:
OK Vash, just wait until some 15 year old computer geek figures out your programming and has you doing jumping jacks in your underware at the local Starbucks! :D
Oh hell I've done more emberassing things of my own free will.

The world is full of dangers, no reason to shy away from life.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Why be afraid of something that could kill you in 10 years when there's so much that can kill you today? Seriously, this isn't a bad thing. Think of identity theft. You accidently lose your wallet, which contains your drivers license, credit cards, your health insurance card, and god knows how many other important cards... and now someone can be you! Now, short of someone hacking off your arm, that shit will be cut in half.

As far as the bionic thing goes. I'm soooo down for it. There is no risk of anyone controling you. If it was possible they could do it to anyone with or without a bionic body part. The thinking behind this is, that the parts will be attatched to your nerves, just as a normal muscle would be. When your BRAIN moves and certain receptor nerve in your shoulder, viola... you pick your nose. Only problem would me regulating pressures and such as aposed to muscles... I don't wanna pick my nose and end up ripping the damn thing off. I am however down for getting new bionic joints... maybe a nice bionic back that doesn't hurt every day. Mark my words... it will happen one day soon. Whether it be exterior or interior modification, we will have machine assisted movement.

Oh, and the whole mark of the beast thing. Back in the day, they were tatoos. Now thier microchips, in a decade or two they'll be new bionic limbs. The church adapts the readings in the bible to suit the ages. The end of the world and return of christ has been comming since before the damn bible was even finished being written. It is simply a tool used to control the ignorant masses and scare them back to church. Originally used in societies that were governed by religious leaders, you can understand the scare tactics. Its like anything... easy to understand its uses and purpose if you just take a step back, look at the big picture, and think for your damn self! Microchip me and tatoo 666 on my bionic right hand... I don't give a damn.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now if we are talking about bionic body parts, well, I could think of one I would be interested in, not that I'm all in need right now. ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seriously Vash and RS6, other than medical reasons, what advantage would you have with super performance enhancing bio-electric-mechanical parts? You would only be as good as the next upgrade. And no matter how advanced your body gets, I can look farther, travel faster, and do more with external machinery. But my feeling is that if I did have all this current -near future technology in me I wouldn't be necessarily happier. Now, an android body with 100,000 life span that I could transfer my conscienous into might interest me, but that isn't here yet, maybe not even in 500 years.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The android body thing is very cool. How far away it is, is anyones guess, but surely the sort of advancements we are talking about is a small step in that direction.

Now for the whole happier argument. "You will only be as good as the next upgrade" And what exactly is wrong with that? Instead of having a performance wall, you get to improve yourself every 6 months. And surely there is nothing wrong with self improvement...
Will this make you any happier? Who knows. Conventional wisdom say money doesnt buy happiness. I find myself much less happy when I'm broke. Will the same hold here? maybe, maybe not.

Oh, do more with external machinery.. Wether thats true or not remains to be seen, but one thing for sure, is that it never hurts to be able to control the external machinery better.

Again, if you dont like the idea of having a multi meter implanted in your arm, and a torque wrench in your wrist, or an enhanced nervous system, or external data storage, well dont get them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts