Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I like it a lot, but we have a strong local chapter. I like that it's not Honda only, that would be boooring. From anywhere in the country it's worth the ride to any of the events in S.E. OH, WV, or NC. I plan on attending the national rally in Penn. this year.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with Tristan. My local HSTA chapter has become much more active in the last couple of years. The vast majority of members are good guys who all love to ride. We have some great events in the South East every year. I go to at least 3 events per year. I too am planning on going to PA for STAR, Sport Touring Association Rendvious.

Rick
NCVFR

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes. Member since 1989.
HSTA is a great organization, and they don't care what you ride. I was the Michigan state director for 2 years, and I didn't even own a Honda (BMW for me).
The riders are mostly all good riders, and some of them go pretty good. A notable feature of all HSTA rallies is that all are surrounded by great roads to ride.
My registration is in, so I'll be in PA for this year's STAR (Sport Touring Association Rendezvous).

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Okay,my take on the HSTA.....around 1990,I was a member for a couple years.The whole local group seemed to revolve around a hand full of individuals. Everyone was there to bow and scrape for them and their "royal" glory. I tried to contribute and be an active member too!
I planned and led a ride,I contibuted to the local newsletter and I showed up for all the meetings I could make,if they were only two or three hours away.Most gatherings were held south of me requiring the hazardous ride thru the largest city in this state and the horrible traffic involved going to and coming back.Mostly the rides went even farther south from my home which would require a Sunday,(usually),ride of 5 or 6 hours to get back home late on a Sunday night.
The attitute was also if you did not have the latest sport bike you were a lower class citizen!!!:mad:
On one ride thru a smaller county we were all pulled over,by the sheriff, for the excessive speeds the leaders deemed necessary for the ride.I heard this happened again on another ride that I missed.
Nuts to that!!!!!!
I'd rather ride alone than have to put up with others who think that every road is their personal race track and every thing is done for their benefit!!
Like I said,this was my take and my experience with HSTA. I hope that all Chapters are not run this way.:(

Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
let me tell you why i am a member of the HSTA. i had been folowing this group on the internet for a year or so when last april i decided to join them for a sunday ride. a bunch of us met at a shell station in northern kentucky early one sunday. it was the designated spot to meet and there was about 10 or 11 people there. the group was made up of several different bikes with different ages of riders present. i ride a kaw and was happy to see bikes other than hondas there. we rode for about two hours over some great twisty roads and stoped for breakfast/lunch at a before hand agreed upon spot. some other riders were waiting for us there. after eating some went home and others, including myself went on another ride. during this segment of the ride i had the misfortune to have an accident. i was fortunally not hurt, but my new bike was unridable. remember, i had never met any of these others before that day. they couldn't have more helpful or supporting. we were about 100 miles form home at that time. didn't matter. one member gave me a lift on his bike to the next town. another lent me his cell phone to call home. another offered to give me a ride back home..this was clearly a few hours out his way, but it didn't matter. what mattered to them was that another rider needed help and that they were willing to give me all the help i needed. in the end i got ahold of my wife, she brought me the truck and we got the bike home to be repaired. i downloaded the application the next day and mailed it in right away. since then i have met more members and they all seem to be the same kind of people. i can't say how other groups act, but the group here in cincinnati/northern ky/indiana are my kind of people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm an active member. I am the webmaster for the Minnesota HSTA group, and I run MN-Sportbike and e-mail list which we use to pull together adhoc rides. We set up tuning suspension and fuel system and dyno tuning seminars at local shops earlier this year to take the edge off the Parked Motorcycle Syndrome (PMS).

Our chapter holds ad hoc rides, and these rides are the ones with the most problems pleasing everyone. Since there is no route sheet, the fast riders can feel like the group is too slow for them and the slow riders can end up feeling like the group is too fast for them. To address this, we have begun to collect and put up route sheets from our planned rides on our website and e-mail list. That way even in ad hoc rides, the leader can pull down a route sheet, make copies, set a place for a few stops, and everyone can ride their own pace.

The great thing about the organization is the diversity of people, the focus on safety and the fact you can ride anywhere in the country and get tips on where the best roads to ride are, or support if you have problems on the road.

I'm getting ready to go to Deals Gap for the NC HSTA Easter ride and the Ozarks for T-13. If any of you are headed there, look for the Duc 916 with Minnesota plates, and that will be me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts