Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with some of the HRC parts for the ónda 1000? I am looking to add an ECU and various other electronics including a wide band commander. However i am not sure what advantages they are going to give me.

For the back straight my gearing is 15/39 and i am still hitting the rev limiter at about 280Km (real from speed trap). I cannot go down to a 38 and upping to 16 on the front will throw my swing arm geometry out of sink. The only alternative i can see is MORE POWER! If i add an ECU can i modify the limiter position? What about the steering damper, can i adjust that?

I don't want to crack the engine since i think i am going to open another can of worms. Also i still have the excuse of running a stock engine............ Nils.

Cumon armchair agony aunts! Help me out.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well you did ask

Right.

From my vast knowledge ( yeah right)

Not really up to date on the HRC honda specific stuff but......

Aside from the usual ability to map your injection through the rev range and raising the rev limit ( sometimes at your peril) the race stuff i've used on kwaks and yams also lets additional inputs be used i'e brakes ( that road brake lever not so silly now eh) so the ECU knows your off the power and braking ( which usually mean downshift) so it can optimise the mixture ready for when you whack on the throttle. It's all minute stuff but it helps.
It can be usefull when you've got the right gearing for most of the corners but there a couple of corners too slow for 3rd and too quick for second ( as an example). It helps the ECU to know you're actually slowing down for a corner rather than rolling off a bit for a long sweeper. Getting the mixture right in these kinda situ's ( ie when the motor's almost boggin down under the torque demand) is critical.
Might not be the best explanation but i hope you know what i mean.
Then there;s traction control ( monitoring engine revs against rear wheel revs) Whole new ball game. Some people love it some hate it. For example the Ducs. Giblet loves it at most circuits and Capriossi hates it.

End of the day if you can get it cheap off Mr Honda then give it a whirl. But more options and settings can be frustrating. Only some serious set up time will get results. Thats one of the things top GP riders are good at. Tellin the tech boys what's going on ( as active feedback live is still a no no). Doesn;t mean data loggers for practising aren;t allowed eh
:thumb:

In fact i might still have a couple of position transducers in the shed:cool:

Make sure you're Santa list ( Mr Honda) has loads on it. And i don;t mean a farkin train set

Good luck

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers BP

BP, i said i came second in the MotoGP SUPPORT race, not the GP itself!

Yeah, it's interesting stuff, i was speaking to a lad who had come out from Frank Raffles in the UK to help a mate of mine. He said unless you were going to have a really good head job there was not much point in adding any cams or springs only another 10HP........... He did say the new honda's are good for 195 at the back wheel and 3000km once all the work is done!

As i said before, i like the excuse of having a stock engine.

I think i will have a closer look at the ECU and the superbike package. Easier to install i guess than and new set of cams.

Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would suspect the HRC ECU came pre-programmed in mind with the owner using the full HRC works kits (Pistons, heads, valves, springs, cams, stacks, airbox etc..). Unless it is a fully self-reprogrammeable, it doesn't make any sense to me. Now finding a competant person doing a proper 3D mapping is another challenge you are going to face.

Am I making sense or am I muttering irrelevant rubbish that are only applicable to car aftermarket ECU management systems?

·
Registered
642 Posts
HRC TRICK BITS

Hey Will,

Well I will tell you what my findings are post installation.

I couldn't afford a fancy head job into the bargain (fernaar fernarr), but because I was so down on power compared to the HRC bikes, Gixxers and R1's I have got the loom, cams, valve springs (obviously).

Magic Henry is out with his magic wand currently and if I can stay on the damn thing this time, lets see what it does to the scores on the doors.

Will report back, positively I hope.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well you did ask BBQ:D

The factory ECU's are fully programable. In fact i think most after market ones are too ( it's only the "bolt on goodie" mafia that are car nuts that want the kit without really knowing what it does..... it's just new millenium furry dice to them)

It's kinda important too. For example you don't want the center pots running lean/rich as you go past the stock rev limit.
Standard bikes have the 2 centre pots slightly richer as they don't get the same cooling as the outer ones do ( in a line 4 block) Too rich and you start to dislove/wash the oil film and too lean and big heat disapation problems appear. You don;t want all the oily shiney bits embeding themselves in your thighs at 14K revs now do ya :eek:

It's worth figuring out the technology so that you can get a better feel for the bike and whats going on inside. I can waffle for hours about this so feel free to ask. The bits i don;t understand are on the net so there's no excuse.

I seem to remember Boycie programming his Dynojet ECU and he got a few maps off the net to try out. Give him a call..you never know he might be socialble for a change :thumb:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Another penny'th

Will, you won't get much by changing only the electronics, since they already provide optimum fuel and ignition across the range of conditions (engine speed, throttle position etc.) for the standard hardware; except as Phil says if there are some extra input sensors and these will help only under certain conditions.

More power basically means better breathing so it can rev higher and still breathe well. A race pipe is everyone's first step, then you need at least cams; the standard cams are a compromise that allow the engine to tick over and be docile at low revs. Race cams sacrifice that for top end, then you need a new fuel/ignition map to go with them, which may or may not mean a new ECU. A head job takes that process a stage further and can include higher compression too.

As others have said, getting the map right in these conditions is not automatic: you need a good tuning man and a dyno as well as track set up time.

Easier way if you have the dosh is to buy a race-prepped engine as Slasher has done.

·
Registered
146 Posts
bigphil said:
Well you did ask BBQ:D

The factory ECU's are fully programable. In fact i think most after market ones are too ( it's only the "bolt on goodie" mafia that are car nuts that want the kit without really knowing what it does..... it's just new millenium furry dice to them)

It's kinda important too. For example you don't want the center pots running lean/rich as you go past the stock rev limit.
Standard bikes have the 2 centre pots slightly richer as they don't get the same cooling as the outer ones do ( in a line 4 block) Too rich and you start to dislove/wash the oil film and too lean and big heat disapation problems appear. You don;t want all the oily shiney bits embeding themselves in your thighs at 14K revs now do ya :eek:

It's worth figuring out the technology so that you can get a better feel for the bike and whats going on inside. I can waffle for hours about this so feel free to ask. The bits i don;t understand are on the net so there's no excuse.

I seem to remember Boycie programming his Dynojet ECU and he got a few maps off the net to try out. Give him a call..you never know he might be socialble for a change :thumb:
Alternatively,..dump the ECU and Fuel Injection system and slap on the FLAT SLIDES,...which opens up a whole new tuning approach...!!...:thumb:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
m0j0 said:
Alternatively,..dump the ECU and Fuel Injection system and slap on the FLAT SLIDES,...which opens up a whole new tuning approach...!!...:thumb:
Yes ...while you're at it you can do away with the awkward twisty throttle thingy and just have an on/off switch. Much easier:thumb:

·
Registered
52 Posts
bigphil said:
Yes ...while you're at it you can do away with the awkward twisty throttle thingy and just have an on/off switch. Much easier:thumb:
While you're at this, might as well, just have a permanently on switch instead. Racings about who's faster right? :twofinger

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmmn

Yes ...while you're at it you can do away with the awkward twisty throttle thingy and just have an on/off switch. Much easier
My enthusiasm for this is dwindling and so i think have decided if i am going to want more power i will ditch the lot and put an order in for a Crescent Suzuki.
The Monster Mob Blade is going for something slightly north of 25K (sterling) (That's after the Macau GP that is).
I am sure this is the better way to do it. Fack arsing around with half hearted attempts at making a road bike go fast. And at the end of the day you only get ONE bike instead of a race bike and garage full of bike parts!

Insurance? Road Tax? Phah!

Besides next race is in 3 weeks at Zhuhai, only a 5 gear track!

Back to my trusty stock blade mota!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BC's HRC Kit

So BC..........

What is this HRC kit like? Is it all it cracked up to be?
After Sporting motorcycles left me totally high and dry 2 days before the MotoGP :mad: (i had asked for henry to come and fit the parts) , i sorta lost interest in moding the engine. This was however after i had parted company with an amount not far off the price of a new R6!!!!!!!!:2cents: :2cents:

I am having considerable bother getting my hard earned cash back and feel i may have to speak to Ann Robinson and the Watchdog crew......:mad::mad:

So..... My real question is, has this mod changed your life completely and would you recommend it over a boob job?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Re: BC's HRC Kit

bbqq021 said:
So BC..........

What is this HRC kit like? Is it all it cracked up to be?
After Sporting motorcycles left me totally high and dry 2 days before the MotoGP :mad: (i had asked for henry to come and fit the parts) , i sorta lost interest in moding the engine. This was however after i had parted company with an amount not far off the price of a new R6!!!!!!!!:2cents: :2cents:

I am having considerable bother getting my hard earned cash back and feel i may have to speak to Ann Robinson and the Watchdog crew......:mad::mad:

So..... My real question is, has this mod changed your life completely and would you recommend it over a boob job?
right ... I need the forum moderator, or onr of our arm chair generals to assist here. I believe a vote is neccessary to see if Willypower here is now officially more of a cock that yours truely (which is a lot!).

parting with close to S$16k in hard earned cash, before receiving anything, which involves flying someone into China to fit parts ..... well ..... that's up there with buying a 999R and then never riding it .....

·
Registered
726 Posts
This up yur strasse??

Now Will... Why don't you just look at getting this instead??

05 CBR1000RR, full HRC kit. Immaculate, never been down. As new. raced three times only. $15000 HRC kit- cdi, loom, gearbox, fork internals, $3400 works showa rear shock, titanium full system, blue printed motor, braided lines and 520 chain conversion. latest dunlop slicks. priced for quick sale. delivery assistance all states. contact Ben- 0411 472 453.. [email protected]*

Attachments

·
Registered
726 Posts
noice huh?

One of the guys here knows the guy who is selling the bike - the Ben guy in the ad... He has had some decent bikes (all race) for sale in the past, incl an ex-suzuka 8hr Gixxer... :D

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
www.guyseekingguy.com

I'm no matchmaker BUT I think this Ben guy and Will could be great buddies... they both clearly have too much money to burn - just think of the stories ;) ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts