Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before any flaming i havent done this and dont know anyone that has, i just always ride red or black bikes but have been eyeballing the anniversary edition R1 (which is yellow and black) and was just wondering how sick and wrong it would be to paint the yellow parts Shift Red. (which is another stock yamaha color) noted all the anniversary badges and details would stay the same just change yellow to shift red.
on a scale of 1 to 10 how wrong would it be? and could you still call it an anniversary edition bike?

·
Registered
4 Posts
who cares what others think! I say if you wanna paint it, you paid for it, it's urs do what you please to it and to hell w/ anyone who says any different. I think the red would look better anyway! :twofinger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha, thats about exactly what i wanted to hear, theres a used anniversary R1 at the dealership for 10 grand i'm considering buying it but if i do yellow is becoming shift red.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi R1NightRiderKid-

What model year is the R1 you're considering? I don't think I've seen this bike. I'll have to check the Yamaha site.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its the new 06 R1 LE anniversary edition

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi R1NightRiderKid-

The more I thought about it the more I feel that your invested dollars would retain the most value by maintaining it in the stock, limited-edition yellow color of which only 500 will be made.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Standard R1 in yellow for comparison purposes. Note that wheels are different than the Marchesini ones above, lack of Ohlins suspension, and different clutch system.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Hey, its yours, paint it however you want. yes, resale value will drop, but so what? Sportbikes start out real cheap, drop in value faster than enron stock, and ussually get totalled before they have a chance to get sold anyway.
All this anniversary crap, is just that. An attempt to squieeze a few extra bucks out of. Now I'm not saying that the R1LE isnt a nice bike, with some very cool features, but by no means should their design be considered sacred?

What? You thought about changing the factory color? Quick someone cut of his hands!

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's your bike man, do whatever you want with it. the bike is only worth how much you want to pay for it. There might be another shift red fanatic like you and be willing to pay you out th wazoo for it, you never know.

If you ask me.. I would buy race or spare plastics and use those for the repaint, keeping the anniversary fairings in a safe place.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-
Vash said:
"...Quick someone cut of his hands!..."
Vash, it was only a matter of time before I knew you would come to your senses regarding fussing with factory paint! :D I dig the idea of purchasing race fairings and having them done in the Shift Red motif with the fancy R1LE yellow bodywork stored for the future.

Speaking of resale...don't listen to me too much because I'm an "acquirer" who purchases and holds! That's why I'm running around with a shiny fifteen-year-old sportbike but with dreams of a Honda 1000RR to add to the stable.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

If the bike is eventually painted red and black I think the Marchesini rims would look good if powdercoated black.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Bluey, this may sound unbelievable, but they started selling brand new motorcycles to the general public. Thats right, you no longer have to hold office, or be a card carrying member of the party, to get your very own brand new cbr1000RR (if you are into that whole honda thing...). Furthermore, you can proceed to drop it, wheelie it, paint it, wreck it, weld it back together, brake it again, turn it into a go-kart, wreck it too, sell the whole thing to a junkyard, and then go out and (get this) get a brand new motorcycle, which is likely to be even faster and shinier than the last one. All without endangering the well being of the state, or your citizenship status. Isnt it a wonderfull world we live in?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Vash-

You're making me all crazy with nerves. I better go have a cool glass of lemonade to regain my composure! :cool:

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Blue Jays said:
Hi Vash-

You're making me all crazy with nerves. I better go have a cool glass of lemonade to regain my composure! :cool:

~ Blue Jays ~
Bluey,

Perhaps dinner would be a more appropriate time to discuss your composure? See you at 7.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Vash-

They don't come any slicker than you! I'll request my regular table at the Four Seasons in the corner. See you then...

R1NightRiderKid, sorry for the slight thread deviation. Have no fear, Vash will have you applying a shiny new coat of Shift Red paint to that bike within a week of when you purchase it!

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Bluey,
Do you ever get tired of the same old? I thought you wanted to see the world, mingle in high class society, all we ever do is pretend to be interested in the affairs of those born again sheep farmers.

Nightrider: I recommend bedliner for paint. Its scartch resistant and easy to touch up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts