Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopie, or is it Stopy, or mabey Stopey? I don't really know someone let me know how to spell it. But for the time being I am gonna rename it [email protected]#$. So I am wondering how on earth to safely learn to do a [email protected]#$, I have become fairly comfortable with wheelies and I wish to learn how to lift my rear wheel now. I am asuming I could just Grab my front brake and squeeze harder and harder and eventualy it would happen ,however I am sure you can see why I would be nervous to try this. If anyone can give me a step by step way to do a [email protected]#$ I would really appreciate it. I particularly wish to learn how to keep my balance as the weight of the bike wants to tip.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Sure. Find a nice parking lot with good, clean pavement. Bring a broom and sweep it if you have to.
Wear all your gear.
Warm up your front tire. Ride around the block while dragging the front brake, that should do the trick.
Pick up some speed, maybe 30-40.
Sit up straight, lock your elbows.
Gently apply front brake untill you feel the weight transfer to the front.
Progressivly increase the braking force, as you slow down.
Your first stoppies will be static, with the rear end lifting after you already stopped. Rolling them is a touch more tricky, but same trick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with Vash's aproch just wanted to add to keep your head/eyes up and looking forward, also never grabe the brake, ever, always sqeeze. Your first couple will probably be static but try to avoid them since you have less control without the front wheel spinning. I started practicing mine at 40 mph and I was up to 90 mph in about a month. Keep it safe and keep your gear on! Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I was hopeing I could get some advice on how to do it safely. I just have one questiong though let's say I do a stop at 90 km but the I release the front brake and continue rideing. Is there any way to do a controlled land, I realize this will mostly be natural to the body but a lil outside info never hurts.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Are you asking how to land a rolling stoppie while still moving?

As long as your rear wheel is behind your front wheel, you just let of the brake and the rear wheel lands without any problems. There may be a loud clank sound, which is caused by the chain coming to an abrupt stop.
If you rear wheel starts going to one side, the bike is likely to chunk you off when you set the wheel back down, It becomse a high side like situation.

If you are worried about safety, start out slow. There is a good chance that you will fall doing any stunt, and falling at 20 hurts much less than falling at 90.

·
Registered
452 Posts
from what I hear . . .

just grab a fist full . . . and hold on for the ride . . . and dont

forget to close your eyes. . . yup yup

·
Registered
452 Posts
one day, at band camp

I was riding one day with this stunter . . .long fun ride later and

he hasnt done any stunts yet, we were pulling up to a stop light

. . . when I hear this loud crack/bump/thump noise (hearing this over my rockin headphones)
he was doing a static endo. (mind you that when I looked to him he was still in the air) *(crack/bump/thump ---> looked ---> still in air)**

What was this noise? I thought his forks were bottoming out . . .

so we posted up somewhere, and I checked his forks . . . nothing what-so-ever

Could it be that his forks are bottoming out, but since he has his compression settings soo easy/soft/un-tough . . . that he bottoms out without leakage?

What do you make of it? ? ?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The forks have to bottom out for a stoppie to happen, there is no way the rear wheel is coming up, untill the forks are bottomed out.

Bottoming out the forks does not mean fluid will seep. Its not even bad for the forks. Whats bad, is a sudden strong compression, wether it brings the forks to the end of the stroke or not. That it what overloads the seals.

And even that isnt really that bad. The seals are like $20 each, and only take a few hours to replace.

As for the noise, I'm guessing that was his chain coming to an abrupt halt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Vash said:
The forks have to bottom out for a stoppie to happen, there is no way the rear wheel is coming up, untill the forks are bottomed out.

As for the noise, I'm guessing that was his chain coming to an abrupt halt.
They do? are your sure of that?

thats probably the reason why I cant pull a endo on my dirt bike or motorcycle.

Realy. . . all the way ?
==============================================
back to discussion ~~

HEY! dont accellerate, then right away grab the front brake.

but you should - - accelerate , coast to give even distribution on the tires, then try to endo

Being hasty: accelerating then grabbing the front brake right away = locking the front tire, and bad mojo . . . it happened to me, but luckly I didnt eat it

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
ochoa0042 said:
They do? are your sure of that?

thats probably the reason why I cant pull a endo on my dirt bike or motorcycle.

Realy. . . all the way ?
Yes. The easiest way to do a stoppie, is to brake lightly untill the front tire is loaded, than brake progressivly harder untill one feels the front bottom out, then brake a touch more. As long as the forks are not bottomed out, they can absorb the weight transfer by compressing, leaving no force to lift your rear tire.

Learn to deal with your front tire locking up, its a skill that will pay devidents. As long as the bike is carrying some speed, nothing happens instantly, and that includes falling. Most situations leave about half a second for you to do something about them, which is a fair bit of time as long as you dont panic and use it wisely. Of course, speed ensures you will get hurt more when you do fall. Double edged sword there.

I have heard that locking up your front tire in the middle of a stoppie, when the rear is high in the air, can be absolutely disastarous, but havent personally done it myself. I suspect, that as long as the front tire doesnt turn from the direction of travel, everythig will be fine, but if it does, it will throw you over once it regains traction.

·
Registered
329 Posts
NO there is no way to safely learn a stoppie. Only safer ways. So gear up and get ready. I dont advise doing slow seed come to a stop stoppies, no control, if you brake to hard you will go over. If you have a little speed you can let off the brake and roll out of what may have been a flip. First just get going about 30mph, and brake hard but smoothly, coming to a very fast stop. Keep practicing this and the more comfortable you get, the faster and harder you will be able to brake, to the point of bringing the wheel up. As you progress pick up speed and lift them higher. Slow, "static stoppies" are not good for your forks or the learning curve. At 55mph I can roll 100 feet easy, so you dont need alot of speed, you just have to get used to applying brake correctly. Once you get decent you will brake hard to get it up, then let of the brake and just feather it to keep you in the balance point. Like the others said get a clean lot, sweep a strip. Warm up your tires and brake. and keep eyes looking ahead, head up, arms locked. If it gets sideways, which it will, it can get ugly. Going over the front is no fun either. Get a crash cage and a steering damper, and goood gear. Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Also if it does sget sideways, one way to save it is to turn your front tire in the direction your rear end is swinging, im not talking stearing out of it when rolling it out, which works, but takes alot of practice and you dont even want to try that yet, but if youre coming down and you know your getting sideways, turn your front wheel in the direction of where your rear is heading, this can prevent a highside if your not to twisted up to much as your bike will jerk but roll out of it as opposed to spit you off. If youre not sure what I mean ask more questions, dont just start playing with the bars, as this can be devestating.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
jab said:
Slow, "static stoppies" are not good for your forks
Really? Why not?

·
Registered
329 Posts
If by static stoppie you all mean going 20mph and grabbing full brake, coming to an instant standstill with rear end coming up, With no skill/proper body weight transfer/ or control, its because it slams the hell out of them, and bottoms them out much harder than necessary. I went through a couple sets of seals years ago before I knew of websites or people to help me along the learning curve. I dont have any scientific proof or anything, Its just un-needed abuse, in my opinion. And its just a poor way to learn. Not saying it will do imidiate damage, but if you want youre bike to last thousands of stoppies which you do if you want to learn and progress, there is no need for this unneeded abuse and poor learning technique.....IMO

·
Registered
452 Posts
I just a squid that knows a lot, with out the experiance

But I do believe that if you set up the compression/damping settings to allow quicker flow of the fork fluids, you shouldnt be worried about how or which way you pull a stoppie, right?

~WARNING~ Given that "stunt settings" should olny be used to stunt

Correct me if im wrong . . . helps both ways

·
Registered
329 Posts
Im not sure about that. could be. I wouldnt worry about it to much anyway, obviously if your going to stunt, youre bikes gonna get beat. I personally try to avoid things like the slow stoppies mentioned previously. I also try to avoid slamming down wheelies on full rear brake and no throttle. Obviously it happens and no big deal, but I try not to if possible, throttle it to take some weight off the front and set it down nice. I just figure this cuts down on cost in the long run. I wont do it to sacrifice learning tho--ie, when you learn to try to turn them in, your going to slam it down hard, alot. Maybe I was out of line with the forks comment, as I have no proof to back my claim. I dont worry about how hard I set my rear down now that I think about it. I just figure it cant help the forks, and it certainly isnt the best way to learn to roll out a stoppie, and as I say this that is how I learned. Once someone showed me to get more speed and work on braking harder and harder, lifting the wheel a little more each time at some speed, 30mph or so. I learned more in one day than in a month of going 15 and grabbing full brake, not really knowing if the front tire would lock and slide/ Id do a little stoppie/ or flip over the front. Theres just no control, no way to let off and roll out, etc. And front wheel lockup is no fun and much less likely with the way I am saying to learn. Either way good luck with the learning.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts