Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gonna get a trailer to haul a couple of bikes, but I think it will be cheaper to hall them in my truckbed. I know I need a ramp for the bikes, but I was just wandering what else I might need and the best way to hall them? thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
You need HEAVY GUAGE RACHETING tie-downs. I always run 4 per bike. 2 up front will suffice though. Utilize anchor points on the bed and hook in. Anchor in the front of the bike first, compressing the forks fairly deep. Check for sway, rub points on the bike and truck, and be sure to engage 1st gear. If you're going on a longer haul be sure to stop and check tension periodically. Be careful releasing tension on tiedowns when at destination - the bike has a tendency to get squirlly on you and you don't want to drop it in the truck bed. Bets to do this with a friend the first time - and look for an incline advantage when loading in/out - makes the whole process a ton easier. Good luck

threemo

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Can you really get two bikes onto a truck bed? The one time I transported my 636 in a Toyota Tundra it took up way more than 50% of the space.

If you don't have a Canyon Dancer (or similar travel tool) then you'll loop one strap each around the triple tree/fork and compress the forks somewhat. I use two on the back like threemo to ensure the bike doesn't go anywhere, esp when you hit bumps. When I transported on a trailer, I added 2x4 blocks one either side of each wheel of each bike to ensure there wasn't any accidental slipping to one side or the other of the tires themselves.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
You can fit 2 bike in a standard truck bed, even if one of them is a busa. The tricky part is tying them down if you dont have an anchor point in the middle of the front of the bed. You will have to run the tie downs thru the front wheels of the other bike, but be carefull not to have it press on the rotors.

Always compress the crap out of the forks. If you dont, they can compress some more when you hit a big bump, loosening the tension on the tie downs, which may slip.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
No.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
RedDot07 said:
Does compressing the forks for a trip that takes a day or two cause any damage to the front suspension?
As kanwisch said, it won't hurt them, but if you're still worried, just back the ratchets off most of the way at night when you stop. Just keep enough tension on them to hold the bike up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tieing down the bike...

OK I have been doin it that way for years. All you need are two ties(Do one bike at a time). But one tie on the left handle bar going left and one on the right going right. Make sure when you tighten them you have someone else push the front shocks down so that it deos not bounce. That is it leave it on the wheels and it will be ok. As for getting it on the truck bed Try to use a steep incline and DO NOT DRIVE THE BIKE ON unless you are very experienced at such things. Sorry for the spelling errors... I was never a good speller.

·
Registered
170 Posts
cookeetree said:
As kanwisch said, it won't hurt them, but if you're still worried, just back the ratchets off most of the way at night when you stop. Just keep enough tension on them to hold the bike up.
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Sorry, but that's not sound advice at all cookeetree - Leaving 1 or 2 bikes lightly racheted into a truck bed is begging for disaster. Tie downs straps tend to slip around the racheting mechanism when there's not much tension on them. Couple that with just the slightest shift of off center weight, on the bikes or the truck for that matter and you run a good risk of one if not both bikes pulling out of their tie downs. Not good.

Threemo

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was quoting cookeetree shifterx. And, yes:huh: :huh: that's how you get the forks to compress in the first place....with tension generated from the tiedowns.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
threemo said:
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Sorry, but that's not sound advice at all cookeetree - Leaving 1 or 2 bikes lightly racheted into a truck bed is begging for disaster. Tie downs straps tend to slip around the racheting mechanism when there's not much tension on them. Couple that with just the slightest shift of off center weight, on the bikes or the truck for that matter and you run a good risk of one if not both bikes pulling out of their tie downs. Not good.

Threemo
Leaving the bike(s) with enough tension to partially compress the forks (enough to hold them), but not enough to fully compress the forks (as one would do when travelling) is not begging for disaster at all.

Used correctly, no ratchet strap should ever slip once there's a small amount of tension on it. I've certainly never had a problem using them before.

Please note: When I say fully compress, I don't mean right down hard. More like 3/4 of the way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
:huh: I don't know how you can't say that's an unnecessary risk. I've traveled thousands and thousands of miles over nearly every type of paved terrain on the US east coast with bikes in the back of my truck. At no time with them in there, moving or stationary, would I ever consider maintaining a "small" amount of tension on the tiedowns. That's like telling the guy its safe to sit in morning rush hour traffic holding a piping hot coffee between his legs with the lid 'slightly' on.:thumbs2:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
threemo said:
:huh: I don't know how you can't say that's an unnecessary risk. I've traveled thousands and thousands of miles over nearly every type of paved terrain on the US east coast with bikes in the back of my truck. At no time with them in there, moving or stationary, would I ever consider maintaining a "small" amount of tension on the tiedowns. That's like telling the guy its safe to sit in morning rush hour traffic holding a piping hot coffee between his legs with the lid 'slightly' on.:thumbs2:
Mate, let's got get into stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

As far as I'm concerned, if you're stopped at a motel for the night, there's no reason why you MUST keep your bike fully ratcheted down. Enough tension to stop the bike from falling over will suffice, IMO.

How about we just agree to disagree and get on with life?

·
Registered
170 Posts
The final sentence of my last post is commonly referred to as a demonstrative analogy. It's used to convey a message through an alternate example.

Had you applied even a small sum of brain power to that post, you'd understand that it is, in fact, on topic. Since you're having difficulty with the idea, here's another example:

Your advice is like telling the guy its safe to dismount his bike with a 'slightly' extended kick stand.

Follow cookeetree?

There's no question we 'agree to disagree'. The question I have is, why not remove the asshat you're wearing and utilize some common sense on the matter? It would prove more beneficial, don't you think?

Threemo

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
Threemo - The problem with your demonsrative analogies is that they are actually exaggerated demonstrative analogies. Kind of like when your Mum would scold you as a kid as say, "If your friends jumped off a bridge, would you do it, too?" Yes, Mum, of course I'd jump off the bridge. Please...

That's why I said the coffee analogy had nothing to do with the topic at hand. The kickstand one is just as exaggerated as the first and, again, contributes nothing to the topic.

Asshat??? Please, don't start throwing abuse around. It is neither warranted, nor appreciated.

Now, please, just let it die.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
the kind you can drink in rush hour traffic with the lid slightly on and not spill. Anything to kill that debate!

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Vash said:
the kind you can drink in rush hour traffic with the lid slightly on and not spill. Anything to kill that debate!
;) I was with ya. I suppose anything will do in those circumstances. Even Schitz, Old Spillwaukee, or Natural Blight.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts