Sportbike World banner

How to get a good deal on a new zx6r with a trade-in

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Speedboy3 
#1 ·
About to dive into the bike buying process for the second time. When i bought my 2005 ninja 500 i was kind of overwhelmed by the situation having never bought anything transportation-wise brand new like that. I was a newbie girl...and it showed! I had done my research but i was too timid to really look into lowering the price and looking for deals.This time I want to be smarter. Anyone with advice on how to haggle the price down please let me know!

Thanks

#2 ·
First and biggest advice I can give is dont trade in your old bike, sell it yourself. This will be the biggest money difference in the whole process.

Also theres a place on the web, do a search, that gives you the actual invoice and fair prices of new bikes. Pay for that, its like $10, and there you will know where you stand.

#3 ·
Like he said, you'd be better off selling your bike. Don't get all excited about the new bike at the stealership, this is the proper time for a good poker face. If they ask you what you can afford a month, never answer them... they'll make sure that is what you'll pay. Always talk total price, not monthly payments... use one of the online payment calculators to determine what you are willing to pay total prior to going to the shop. Lets say the new bikes msrp is $8000 I'd make them an offer for say $7000 out the door. They'll probably make a counter offer. Continue untill you are sure they won't go any lower. Don't be timid at all, be very firm...remember that poker face. Also don't let the salesman bully you around. Know the bike well from research, don't let him lie to you about anything. Never pay for extra fees like Doc, storage, weatherproofing, or any of that other crap... it's all just a ploy to make more money. If the salesman pisses you off, don't be afraid to get up and walk out. There are plenty of good shops out there that would appreciate your business.

#4 ·
Call dealership in your area, asking for deals. Call ones that might even be too far to travel. Call more local ones again and ask them to match an offer.

#5 · (Edited)
blaster668 said:
don't be afraid to get up and walk out.
This...

...is the greatest power to have in negotiations.

:thumb:

edit: I just want to throw in that sometimes, you might want to consider what's acceptable to you with respect to how much time you're going to put into this. In other words, don't spend 3 months working your butt off to save $100...

#7 ·
+1 on being able to just walk out.

Another good tip is to find out what kind of commission the sales-person makes. If he/she makes a 'per bike' (certain amount, regardless of how much the sale is), feel free to low-ball the turds out of him. If he's on a percentage of sale price comm. . . forget about trying to work with them too much. . .

#10 ·
Thanks so much to all! I'll definately be firm!:D

#12 ·
Use a fax machine. Write up a one page about what you want, brand, type, color..etc, request the best price they can offer you, provide your fax number only-don't give them your phone number- and fax this pages to all dealers in your area, and wait for the best offer.
Then, take the best offer and try to negotiate it a little more.
This method saves your time and agrivation.

#13 ·
JohnE1000 said:
Use a fax machine. Write up a one page about what you want, brand, type, color..etc, request the best price they can offer you, provide your fax number only-don't give them your phone number- and fax this pages to all dealers in your area, and wait for the best offer.
Then, take the best offer and try to negotiate it a little more.
This method saves your time and agrivation.
I'm going to have to remember that... and you can always fax estimates from one dealer to the next asking them to beat the others offer.

#14 ·
Wow I never would have thought of that. That would definately save me the extra legwork going from place to place. Make 'em battle it out on paper!!:p Thanks again

#15 ·
Fizzer-aid said:
Also, if your pretty happy with the pricing, but they wont go lower, see if they will throw in some nice gear.
Courtesy goes a long way also. i didn't try to yank my dealer around, just told him that I only thought it was worth $xxxx and that I'd pay no more than that. I told him that if he did that, then I'd buy the bike right then and there.

I low-balled, then got free stuff (helmet and gloves), and now I'm getting a decent deal on a jacket. it's the end of the season, and the place I shop at also deals in snow machines. many times they'll do what it takes to get stuff out of their shop.

#16 ·
636lover said:
Wow I never would have thought of that. That would definately save me the extra legwork going from place to place. Make 'em battle it out on paper!!:p Thanks again
You can also hide the fact that you're a chick by doing this. Chances are you'll get a better deal and not get screwed-over. Not trying to be offensive, it's just reality.

#17 ·
cookeetree said:
You can also hide the fact that you're a chick by doing this. Chances are you'll get a better deal and not get screwed-over. Not trying to be offensive, it's just reality.
Or the opposite depending on how well you can make men do what you want by flashing a cute smile and showing a tad of cleavage. Again, no offence meant, but those things do have an effect in the real world

#18 ·
depending on how well you can make men do what you want by flashing a cute smile and showing a tad of cleavage.

:D :laughing:

#19 ·
Best bet then... soften them up with the fax then come in swinging with the cleavage. Good luck!

Seriously though, I've heard of a ton of people having really good success getting free gear, or heavy discounts on gear, with their purchases. I'd consider if that was a factor for you before going in the door.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.