Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Airbags on motorcycles

Saw this at motorcyle on line Airbags on BMWs

BMW has patented a new airbag system and is planning to fit it to its motorcycles. It uses ultrasound to build up a picture of where and how the rider is sitting on the bike. If he or she is flung forward too quickly, or to one side, the patent claims the new system can fire an airbag in a way to catch the rider safely.
BMW also claims the system will prevent injuries caused by the firing of the airbag and make the decision whether to fire or not...
--------whats next

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Vee Haf Vays of Makingk YOU Safe....

First its ABS, then its servo-operated brakes and now this. I hope they don't have some advanced warning that sh8t like this is going to be MANDATORY in the not too far future.

I am sure glad I bought my 1988 R100RT (in 1998). Its got these wonderful fearures. A motor. A frame. Suspension. Manually operated brakes. 2 wheels. A seat. Luggage. Fairing. PERFECT.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I ususally wear a parachute when i ride. I figure that if i lose my bike, the wind will pick me up before i hit the ground.( just have to remember to attach the pull cord to the bike)

...... I've heard somewhere about a jacket that inflates like an airbag......I guess you would just bounce to a comfortable stop.....

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
ninjabeater said:
I ususally wear a parachute when i ride. I figure that if i lose my bike, the wind will pick me up before i hit the ground.( just have to remember to attach the pull cord to the bike)

...... I've heard somewhere about a jacket that inflates like an airbag......I guess you would just bounce to a comfortable stop.....
So you don't pass other ninjas, you just beat the one you have??:D :D :D

·
Registered
702 Posts
ninjabeater said:
That's for real. I've seen pictures of it in magazines. It's going to become available in Europe real soon. From what I understand, it works similiar to a kill switch on a Jet Ski. Like when you fall off the jet ski, the kill switch stops the engine. Well I think with the jacket you attach some kind of cable to the bike so when you come off with any amount of force, poof a big kooshie bouncy human :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts