Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few children could conjure up a worst nightmare: On Thursday, following strict orders, an officer outside the New Orleans Superdome took away the last thing one little boy trying to board a bus had left -- his dog.

Such tragic scenes played out again and again during the awful days after Katrina hit land: people not being permitted to evacuate with their pets. Amid the chaos and tumult Katrina unleashed, numerous evacuees were forced to leave behind their cherished animal companions -- in their homes, in their offices, in hospitals, and other public facilities, and at rescue stations and shelters that do not permit pets to accompany their owners.

Even after losing everything you have, it seems, you can still suffer loss.

Ok, I know that people come first in a rescue but damn, they've lost everything...then they are forced to give up their pets too? They have to just leave them there to starve? Some people think of their pets as their kids. Could you even imagine? :(

Jen

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
its sad, but better than having a neighbor die......

a friend of mine goes to school at univ of new orleans, and he lost all his stuff, his apartment got flooded and everything....luckily he left as soon as he heard word and flew up to tenessee. he saw people he knew on tv too that were stuck down there, and he saw like dead bodies in places he used to go to everyday, he said it was strange seein all that on tv....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
*Mental note: Don't move next door to desmo.*

haha no shit.....

damn, well i guess i live in a good area though, but still......damn

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
It is sad people had to leave pets behind, but I'd rather that than try to stuff a bunch of animals on a plane or bus so they can defecate everywhere and bite people. Stressful situations don't usually bring out the best in animals. I love dogs (and pets in general), and have had or been around some absolutely great ones. However, I will never equate them or their lives to humans. Maybe I'm just cold-hearted, but IMO animals can be whatever we want them to be. Companions, food, test subjects, etc. :2cents:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...animals can be whatever we want them to be. Companions, food, test subjects.
I TOTALLY disagree with that. Aside from being competely off the subject, I think it's wrong that we pump animals full of chemicals, cut them open and see the results (yes, smoking causes cancer, why do more experiments?) ....especially since there are more advanced tests (non-animal) that take less time at a fraction of the cost. They've come a long way with effective, affordable, and humane research methods include studies of human populations, volunteers, and patients, as well as sophisticated in vitro, genomic, and computer-modeling techniques. Hey, it's your tax dollars.

It's completely archaic to do these tests anymore and advanced thinking companies are doing away with them. Ever hear of Thalidomide? That was the drug that they tested on animals and gave to pregnant mothers to "cure" morning sickness. It caused severe birth defects and was taken off the market. Two words: Unethical and Unnecessary. :mad: ((Off Rant.))

By the way, you'd be surprised who does animal experiments. To educate yourselves....check out IAMS CRUELTY

Jen[

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I would not be getting on that bus...plain and simple. I personally would have been out of there long before it hit....but my girl goes where I do.....I would leave my wife behind before her :D

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
kawigirl_636 said:
I TOTALLY disagree with that. Aside from being competely off the subject, I think it's wrong that we pump animals full of chemicals, cut them open and see the results (yes, smoking causes cancer, why do more experiments?) ....especially since there are more advanced tests (non-animal) that take less time at a fraction of the cost. They've come a long way with effective, affordable, and humane research methods include studies of human populations, volunteers, and patients, as well as sophisticated in vitro, genomic, and computer-modeling techniques. Hey, it's your tax dollars.

It's completely archaic to do these tests anymore and advanced thinking companies are doing away with them. Ever hear of Thalidomide? That was the drug that they tested on animals and gave to pregnant mothers to "cure" morning sickness. It caused severe birth defects and was taken off the market. Two words: Unethical and Unnecessary. :mad: ((Off Rant.))

By the way, you'd be surprised who does animal experiments. To educate yourselves....check out IAMS CRUELTY

Jen[
:laughing: I knew this was coming, based on your PETA signature line (which by the way is completely inappropriate for this forum).

I work for a company that does some animal testing, so trust me when I say I know something about it. The unfortunate truth is that some horrible things have to happen in order for us to live the comfortable lives that we do. If you stop animal testing you'll only raise the number of human health problems because the products aren't properly screened.

I realize there are alternatives, but they are not just as good. If they were, we'd be using them. Companies don't test on animals because they like to torture them, they do it because certain animals have bodily systems that closely mimic our own, so the best way to see how humans might react to a particular drug/product is to test the animals. There really is no useful substitute (other than humans of course....but that's a whole other topic). The "replacements" I've read about, while mildly useful, are not sufficient replacements yet. As with anything I'm sure the technology will get better and better. Until then though I am comfortable using animals where necessary if it means safer drugs.

I think another reason I don't mind animal testing is because I am a carnivore. I can't very well talk about the injustices precipitated on lab animals and then go out and enjoy a nice bloody steak, now can I? Like I said before, in my opinion animals can be companions, test subjects, food, etc. Basically whatever we want to make them. I will never be able to elevate the status of animals to the point of equality with humans. In fact, quite the opposite. There are many humans whom I equate to animals.....again, a whole other topic.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yeah, I have been trying to find a web-site or something where I can adopt some of the animals from Katrina, but I can't find any that have any up for adoption just fostering/donations. Do you know of any Jen? I know that the Michigan Humane Society went down to help, but I havn't heard anything about them bringing some animals back to Michigan for adoption.

In regards to your Peta Signature Jen, I clicked on it last week and cried for about 2 hours after reading through the web-site. I contacted them for literature to be handed out and even though I have never used IAMS I plan on jumping down the local pet stores throats for selling it. Is there anything else local that you are invloved in? I would love to help.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm sorry I just have a hard time taking PETA seriously. Yes there are animal tests out there. Lots of them. There are animal dying every day, so that I know how toxic a certain substance is. There are people dying everyday too. Hell there are an awfull lot of people dying for no good reason what so ever. And with PETA's powerfull market presence, I cant help but suspect that there is some extortion and money shuffling going on. But again, its off topic.

As to the original. Yes its very sad to take peoples pets away. But those are the people who did not leave on their own. The ones that did, took their pets with them. By the time people have to be rescued, there are obviously limited resources available. So its pretty clear that we should use those resources on saving people, not animals.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
rescue the animals...they had no choice but to stay....:twofinger

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
PETA is BAD. Case in point... movies like 28 days later. Animal rights activists will destroy the entire earth. I have seen it in the movies!

Someone should form an anti-peta organization.
Funny you should mention that....there are a lot of things about PETA people don't realize, including how they euthanize thousands of animals per year, their ties to terrorist organizations, donations to arsonists and attempted murderers, etc. PETA is a criminal organization funded with taxpayer money.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
spicersh said:
Funny you should mention that....there are a lot of things about PETA people don't realize, including how they euthanize thousands of animals per year, their ties to terrorist organizations, donations to arsonists and attempted murderers, etc. PETA is a criminal organization funded with taxpayer money.

So I have heard. Save the animals, slay the people.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
spicersh said:

Holy smokes! I'm amused. Is any of this verifiable, or just hearsay?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts