Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A kid in my hometown just bought a brand new Buell. He is kind of a punk and mouthing about how his bike is the fastest in town blah, blah.... A lot of my friends have started riding, and none of us have this competition about who has the faster bikes...we just like to ride and know that none of us are good enough riders yet to be pushing our bikes to the limits. Anyway, just for arguments sake, how fast are the Buells? Top end, quarter mile? How would they compare to 600's such as mine or a CBR? Thanks for any info!

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

[This message has been edited by Hethj7 (edited October 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
288 Posts
Depends on what Buell you're talkin' about - Cyclone? Lightning? Blast?

In general, Buells ain't slow.

Wow...........when's the last time I posted a message?!?

------------------

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Well I can tell you from experience that the Lightning aint slow, but a 600 can still beat it off the line....where I think they really shine is in the torque department at higher speeds...
just my .02

(I have a friend who owns a Buell btw)

W

------------------
Will Darton
Administrator
http://azsportbike.net
99ZX-6e

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure what kind it is. I figured they made big torque. Considering this, I would think that a Buell might take an inline-4 off the line, but then the high rev nature of the I-4 would overtake the Buell at higher speeds. Guess I am wrong in assuming that?

------------------
97 FZR 600
D&D Carbon Fiber Pipe

1990 5.0 Mustang

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think most of the Japanese inline 4's have better accleration, but the torque of the 'ol Buells is pretty impressive and with the right rider I think you'd be pushing your luck off the line against a Buell... They pull hard if you can keep the front tire from lifting but forget 1/4 mile... I think they come with around 90 HP but different power delivery of course w/ a twin...

I myself haven't driven one b/c I'm not too tall and I can't barley touch when I mount a Lightning... (Yeah, yeah, you only need one leg but when the bike is like 16 grand canadian...) Anyway, while riding bitch on one I was terrified... I'm not used to something pulling that hard at low RPM... They are impressive in their own right and I had new appreciation for them after watching a friend win the Canadian title...

Just my ramblings..

KIRSTY!!

------------------
"No, this isn't my boyfriend's bike..."
My web site www.geocities.com/hondahuney

·
Registered
186 Posts
I rode a Lightning...I wasn't impressed. Didn't feel like it handled well. The powerband is a straight line. I can tell it brakes well though. I've seen them do great wheelies and stoppies, but I wasn't impressed. Basically, my F1 felt faster, but I knew it wasn't. I'm sure your CBR is faster...especially if he can't ride. Show him up.

------------------
Dan...Comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Argh! It's a Harley in a Halloween costume, what more do 'ya need ta know? :D Harley engine and drivetrain with some aftermarket pieced together in someone's garage homemade parts. Warranty? "when you are out of sight of the dealership, your warranty just expired".

I'm at work (shh, don't tell anyone I'm surfing!) and don't have any of my magazines in front of me, but if I remember correctly, the big Buell (Lightning X1?) runs a quarter in the very low 12's. Still semi-respectable. The terminal speeds aren't very high, around low 100's indicating high torque and low horsepower.

I rode one about two years ago. S'matter ofact, it's what I passed my MC license test on. (Again, this is our little secret)I'd been out of bikes for a while, and didn't know anyone w/a sportbike and my original issuing State's license had long since expired. Anyway, it wasn't the top of the line X1, it was the one right below it. It had nice torque down low, but ran out of steam at about 5k or so. Nothing on top. Nothing. I've ridden 125cc single cylinder dirtbikes with more on top than a Buell. This guys' bike was only about 3-4 months old, and every time he rode it, something fell off or fell apart. I can remember on the way back to his house after I took the test, he suddenly pulled over on the highway. I thought he had a flat. Uh-uh, his speedo cable had disconnected itself from the instrument pod, and had almost gotten tangled in the front wheel. A messy proposition to say the least. Also, a bolt that holds the muffler on popped off, and so did the muffler. That happened about a week later, while riding out of his neighborhood at about 20mph. Buell, shmuell.....get one of those foot-powered scooters w/the shiny chromed wheels that the kids ride these days. They are way more reliable and have more power to boot.

"HARLEY DAVIDSONS" - Fat and heavy slow bikes for fat and heavy slow people.......

------------------
Cosmo
"You have some options to choose from: You can lead, you can follow, or you can get out of the way!"

·
Registered
169 Posts
Lets just put it this way,..."IF" that guy on his Buell ever got in front of you,.. just remember that things got a Hardly Abelson engine in it, so watch for large amounts of oil,..parts,..etc. flying all over the road in front of you ! :D

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Okay,I have the Nov. issue of Motorcyclist in front of me:
Buell S-3 Thunderbolt 90.1 HP,"corrected "Qtr.mile:[email protected](1999model)
2000 CBR600F4,94.8hp,[email protected],("corrected"specs on this and these others),
ZX6R,2000model,96.2hp,[email protected],
2000 GSXR600,93.3hp,[email protected],
YZFR-6,2000,96.4hp,[email protected],
btw my Kat was [email protected] :)per the Motorcyclist issue May 1996(specs the same 1992 till they went to the "new" style)
and 74 hp
Ducati SS900,2000,77.5hp,[email protected]

Hope this info helps!!

JIM

------------------
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey People...

I thought like ya'll a little while ago... I love my Honda to bits... BUT if I had the money or someone decided to give it to me, I wouldn't mind having an X1 in the garage to putt around on now and again...

A friend of mine is the mechanic for a Buell racer and the engine is built really tight and safe... They've apparently come along way from their intro a couple years ago.... Okay, so its a race bike he's built but he's never had to rebuild it after any race and these guys are gonna be racing against RC51's next year in Daytona... (I just started another fight with that sentence)

Okay, depending on the track, an RC51 will have a good deal of pull on the Buell but you should see how these bikes handle, modifed Harley engine and all... They aren't blowing up like the Big 4 and they haven't had to tear them down once... And their winning against other V-twins SV's and RC's included...

A lot of it has to do with rider ability, but all I am saying is don't discount the bike just yet... It's got a lot of character for the under dog, it sounds awesome on an open track, and Harley's comming out with a new Buell next year...

Anyway, have at her...

Kirsty...

------------------

·
Registered
367 Posts
Kirsty,

I would hope that a Buell would beat the SV on the track, after all it's twice the size, motor wise. I had a friend who had the X1 and he only kept it for 3 months, hated the whole H.D. putt-putt thing and missed the revs of the inline 4's.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
40 tickets now. I need a Hayabusa!
I'm a bird watcher and I'm looking for a Big Breasted Bed Thrasher, have you seen one?

S

·
0 Posts
Doesn't Buell have it's own racing league ?

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yep...

Ya got me there... The SV has half the engine and 20 less HP... I really didn't mean anything by the SV comment... The Buell Racer boy had no problem walking away from the SV's... They were just running in the same race...

Anyway... I know people have these misconceptions about Harley's/Buells being pieces of crap... And I thought the same thing too until... Until I had the opportunity to get to know them for a while and see them on the track.... They can be good handling machinery...

Oh yeah... And as Kanata600 posted... The S3, which as far as I can remember is the "touring" model of the Buells has a 1/4 mile time close to every other 600... It maybe a 1200 but it's a different power than the other engines...

Anyway... Who knows...

K.

------------------

S

·
0 Posts
Posted by cbrchick <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Anyway... I know people have these misconceptions about Harley's/Buells being pieces of crap... And I thought the same thing too until... Until I had the opportunity to get to know them for a while and see them on the track.... They can be good handling machinery...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree, the thing's that stopped me from buying one was Price and insurance price...

I think Harley got a bad name from the AMF day's, The new Evo engines are pretty solid .. Hey I know you hear of rod's being throw or whatever but this is really rare.. I've seen a new Toyota blow an engine , rare but it happen's even to the best of manufacturer's.. Buells(I admit) have a long recall list, but these things are usually minor..Hell I work on my bike when there is nothing wrong with it :D

Can you believe they wanted to charge me 5 grand insurance for a '99 M2 ?? The M2 retails at around 14 g's but you knew that, Anyways HD Mtl had all '99s on sale 10,500 for an M2 plus 2,500 in accecories :D Not too bad..
(It was the blue M2, I love that bike, The only pic of a bike in my office is of a buell :D)

But there was still the issue of 5 g's for insurance...

When I am 25 or so I look again...

------------------
If somebody sounds as though they might know more than you, talk more and louder.

Adam

[This message has been edited by Squidwannabe (edited October 12, 2000).]

·
Registered
169 Posts
OH RCJOHN !!! HELLO !....ya wana jump in here and help me out on that RC51 vs Buell thing !!! i'm laughing too damn hard to talk right now ! :D

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

·
Registered
165 Posts
#2f4...

Laugh all you want there huney.... Darren James #229 now #1 Buell in Canada... Beat out RC51's, TL1000R's, Duc 916's at the Fabi track Shannonville this summer... Top rider in his class on a bike that in some classes has an HP of like 95 vs whatever a RC51 pushes.... Plus, you know that depending on the track, different bikes will cut it reguardless of power... On a tight track with a good rider the Buell has proven to out do other big bore, higher top end have'n machines... Plus these boys have only two bikes, one with a modified engine and the other basically stock... Neither have been torn down, no rods thrown, no oil leaks... I think that's pretty impressive when I've walked by team Honda and seen them frantically rebuilding blown up RC's in between races...

I'd be laughing to if I didn't see Darren running faster times on the track then boys on RC51's.... He can easily out power someone coming out of a turn and doesn't have to fight with un needed HP while going hard into turns...

I'm not saying I'm ready to buy one... But I won't discount them anymore because all bugs are getting worked out and the customers at are shop are beyond happy with their toys... They have character if nothing else, an interesting design, and a trick suspension that makes people stop and ask questions...

I'll try anything once... And let me tell you, it was pretty cool to be on the podium celebrating 3 weeks ago when they won the title...

Kirsty...

------------------

·
Registered
169 Posts
Canada EH ?? great, probably a damn good rider ! Who are the guys on RC51's ? maybe guy's that have a lot less experiance than Darren ?
how many Buell's ya see in world superbike ? RC51 #1 (dont give me the Haga drug scandle thing !)
2 Harley's in AMA superbike that routinely blew engines during the race.
If Scott Russel was on just about anything else, he probably would have done quite a bit better.
So some of the best dirt trackers out there are on Harley's.
Me, I'll NEVER own one ! just my opinion.

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey, no Canuck jokes there Red Neck.. (jjk)

Incidently, Darren is 23 and this is his first year racing...

Hey Squid Wanna Be.... I was at St. Estache like 3 weeks ago... We shoulda hooked up....

Kirsty...

------------------

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm qualified to make jokes at Canadian's....after all i have lived next door to them my whole life ! :p

------------------
texas tornado #2

jim

·
Registered
165 Posts
If that's so then why ya callin yourself Texas Tornado #2 then there buddy boy... I'm transplanted from Houston where I lived for 17 long hot years and let me tell you... That title belongs to me cuz Ma' Twin sistas Tornado #1 and I's is #2... ;)

It's on there ma' friend... It's on...

------------------

1 - 20 of 57 Posts