Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
m3atwad said:
just wondering.
Are you using WD-40 to lube it or clean it? IMO, WD-40 is not a chain lube. It's great for loosening rusty nuts / bolts and for squeaky hinges, but that's about it.

I use a Castrol ant-fling chain lube. I do it every two weeks, or so, depending on miles travelled and if I encounter wet weather.

I clean my chain monthly, using degreaser to remove all of the old lube, grime and dirt.

For best results, take your bike for a short ride, to warm the chain up, before cleaning and lubing. Leave the lube to soak-in (I just leave it overnight), then wipe away excess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Your chain will be pretty knackered after 2k miles w/o being lubed. There aren't any real "dangers" but you've probably damaged your sprockets a bit.

Try to clean and lube up every 600 miles or when the chain is exposed to lots of rain or dirt.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
If you live in a very dusty/dirty area, it's best to degrease/clean the chain every time you lube the chain (although your suppose to every time, but if you live in a relatively clean area, you don't have to). Also, the chain lube increases the life out of your chain by reducing the wear and tear on it as well as keeping the O-rings from dry rooting and reducing the amount of rust buildup.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
damnit, This is what I did last night.

I did drink them right after I took the shots. also took pics of margarita's and pina colada's but they didn't come out good. Guess I should have waited AFTER the pictures were taken instead of during the photoshoot... By 1am, I was having a hard time will all of the flashes going off. :p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol...thx guys and nice choice of beverages. i have partaken in those two as well before....haha

·
Registered
369 Posts
Also it's best to use a lube and cleaner that is compatible with O-ring chains. Technically, WD-40 isn't good for the o-rings, and it's generally inadvisable to soak the chain in it although some people have had good luck wiping their chains down with a WD-40 soaked rag. I use kerosene as a cleaner (cheaper, too.)

Personally, I like the Dupont Teflon multi-use lube. It's a dry lube so it doesn't attract dirt as bad, and it cleans as well as lubes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
WD40 is a kerosene base oil...I have used it to clean my motorcycle chains for over 20 years and all my chains have lasted over 20,000 miles...

I clean chain with WD40 and use a good chain wax on my chains.

·
Registered
272 Posts
WD-40 (Water Displacement on the 40th try) would be good for lubing a rusted or seized fastener or somthing like, and maby in the cleaning process on your chain, but it will not do much to keep your chain lubed like the designated chail oil would. It is not intended as a lubricant and it wont last very long. If you want to get the most life out of your chain, I'd suggest the good stuff(chain oil) .:2cents:

·
Registered
272 Posts
JBaz said:
I wonder if that 40th try story is really true or just actually rounded up or down. I'd guess that WD-39 would sound silly and wouldn't be a good marketing name...
Good question 'Baz:huh: Anyone have any info on this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
wd is crap !

Never,wd40 is not for chains,period ! get a quality chain lube and clean before you use it also take it out and heat up the chain this will help desperse it in...imo,throw that wd crap away...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts