Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read on and on about how you should get an old bike to gain experience before getting something new...
I can't find anything on how much experience is ideal... I finished the MSF course in the beginning of April and bought a 87 ninja 750 and have rode it for almost the past 2 months... I plan on riding it for the rest of the season until September-Octoberish time... Then, in the fall i would like to get another used 2000+ bike in the $4,000-$5,000 range. I have not yet fallen, but had 2-3 scares like it seems everyone has... I ride rather cautious because I have realized how dangerous these machines can be... I am 22. However, I do rip the throttle for under 5mph up to 60-70mph on occasion... I have also definately seen my confidence level go up since I have started... If there any way to actually measure what enough experience is? Is 1 full season enough to the upgrade? I dont want to get a new bike (which i am sure i will always prefer to ride compared to this old one) and not be ready for it, or be able to ride it very well... Im looking at a 2000+ 600cc since everyone told me they would rip the shit out of what i have now...

Thoughts? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Cannot see why you cannot upgrading within the end of the season. Also best time to buy as prices are down even on used bikes.

Also you are not aiming for a 1L '05 bike, but a 600 of '00.

·
Registered
471 Posts
actully, the time to be the *most* cautious is when your confidence level starts to go up. becuase thats is when you start pusihing yourself a bit more, and your concentration can start to slip a bit.

the real answer to your question is kinda subjective. some people are comfortable with an upgrade pretty quick, others a lot longer. I'd be more concerned with MILES you put on the bike rather than time you've had it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Chris Sedition said:
actully, the time to be the *most* cautious is when your confidence level starts to go up. becuase thats is when you start pusihing yourself a bit more, and your concentration can start to slip a bit.
Agreed. I went down because I got too confident. Too confident leads to being in over your head in the blink of an eye.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, that makes sense to me. So far, I have put about 300-400 miles on the bike and it has been almost 2 months. I plan on putting about the same rate, maybe even a bit higher...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That's it? The weather has been great in NJ, you gotta get out riding more! I actually don't live too far from you, if you want to go out riding sometime just send me a PM.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Chris Sedition said:

the real answer to your question is kinda subjective. some people are comfortable with an upgrade pretty quick, others a lot longer. I'd be more concerned with MILES you put on the bike rather than time you've had it.
Also it has lot to do with types of road travelled, for example, 1000 miles racked up on twisties is better than 3000 miles on straight roads. Unfortunately, some of us don't get to travel down road full of twists.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Magester said:
Ok, that makes sense to me. So far, I have put about 300-400 miles on the bike and it has been almost 2 months. I plan on putting about the same rate, maybe even a bit higher...
Hah. I did 350 miles *today*. You gotta ride that thing more!!!

-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell me about it!!! I love riding, but hate riding by myself and have no one to ride with... Hopefully I find people soon!!! Unas_the_Slayer, I sent you an email and we will definately go riding together!!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The thing to watch out for, is that your perception of your skill grows faster than the skills do. Its words about midway thru the first season. However I see no reason why you couldnt trade up to a 600 by the end of the season so long as you start pulling some saddle time.

·
Registered
471 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
+1

I average about 300 miles EVERY day.

do you not work? or work very far away from home?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Chris Sedition said:
do you not work? or work very far away from home?
I sort mail in the Federal building for an independant courier service (kinda like UPS). I only need to be here when the trucks are comming in, which is from 9:00 to 9:30AM, 11:00 to 11:15AM, 1:00 to 1:30 PM and 2:30 to 3:00PM.

The rest of my day is occupied by riding. When I head home at night, I meet my friend Josh, and we go riding for a couple hours, then I ride into town with him when he heads to work. After that, I sometimes meet up with my father and go for a ride for a couple of hours, then if Josh gets out of work early that night (about 10:00PM) I go back down to meet him at work, and we go for another quick ride (about 45 min - 1 hour)

I only work 8 miles from home, By the way.

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Chris Sedition said:
i'm down in Boston. rained the last 5 weekends in a row. this week looks like going to be fucking biblical outside. i'm sick of this shit. 2005 has been the worst year for weather in Boston so far that I can remeber.

-sedition

almost june and currently 49 degrees out... what the hell is this crap?!?!?!?:mad: :crying:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Chris Sedition said:
i'm down in Boston. rained the last 5 weekends in a row. this week looks like going to be fucking biblical outside. i'm sick of this shit. 2005 has been the worst year for weather in Boston so far that I can remeber.

-sedition
MSF in the rain tomorrow and Wednesday... yeah for me :crying:

The rain is the only thing that's keeping me from going crazy about my bike sitting at the dealership waiting for the seat to get lowered. It's been there like 2 weeks now...

First maintenence for me is 600 miles and I plan on hitting that within 2 weeks (a couple of long weekends in a row) given the rain stays away for 2 seconds. I have a lot of spare time right now and plan to spend most of it riding. I've got some great backroads around.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts