Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, been a while since I've been on here. I'm getting the bike bug again. Was so bad yesterday that I went out in 15 degree weather and started her up just to hear her and run her a bit.

Anyway, I need to get the following stuff done this spring, and was wondering if any of you have any idea how much all of this will cost:

1. adjust valves (never had it done before, bike at 13,500 miles. . . I know, I know)
2. replace rear tire (installation only)
3. brakes: front and rear service
4. stainless brake lines (installation only)
5. service shocks (they've never had any service)
6. replace subframe (installation only)
7. regular service (oil, etc.)
8. replace clutch (installation only)

Thanks ahead of time. It's going to be an expensive spring between getting my car and bike running perfectly.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Brake service? As in new pads? $40-$60

Installation of brake lines and subframe? You can do that yourself in a couple of hours.
At 13k miles you shouldnt need to have any work done to the shock yet, and valve adjust isnt till 14k miles (about time, but you are not overdue yet).
Tires ussually cost $50 to replace.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt response, Vash.

All service will be done by dealer, as I can't afford the time to do any of this work myself: too busy with work. I was told the valves need to be adjusted every 5-6K miles. . . ??

I'm just looking for a rough overall estimate to get all of this work done. I'm going to do a lot of riding this spring and summer, and need the bike to run better than new. That's why I've listed all of these things.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
hard to say.. it really depends on the dealer... I dont trust them to be too honest.

the only part of this whole thing I would contemplate letting the dealer do is the valve adjust... well the tire if I didnt have the tools... not only will the dealer rape you on the price they will most likely keep your bike for a couple of weeks.

Everythign you mentioned here minus those two things can be done in one saturday. 4 hrs or so if you got a buddy whos got some mechanical skills and a 12 pack of beer. Hell if I was closer I'd come help ya out.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude, I'd buy a 2 cases to get someone to help me with this. Thanks for the offer. Guess with that much beer not a whole lot of work would get done.

Had a buddy I used to ride with, but I think he's all wrapped up with his girl. Haven't heard from him in a while.

Guess I'll just go to the dealer and get surprised. I'm expecting this to cost about a grand.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Post the estimate.. The most complicated thing you got on there is the valve adjust.. everything else is real simple.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. adjust valves (never had it done before, bike at 13,500 miles. . . I know, I know): $500
2. replace rear tire (installation only): $50
3. brakes: front and rear service: $150
4. stainless brake lines (installation only): $50
5. service shocks (they've never had any service): $150
6. replace subframe (installation only): $100
7. regular service (oil, etc.): $50
8. replace clutch (installation only): $150

Looks like $1,200. Dammit. Wish I could just trade her in.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You need someone with zx9 experience.....

:D

For the right fee you may find someone to do it for ya outside of the dealer....

·
Registered
675 Posts
FYI at 15K the service book calls for a major.... service.... over 8hrs at a dealer just for the service not counting the other do-dads you want.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Andrew, knew I'd get you to respond. You like the comment about 'I used to have a buddy that I rode with, but he's all wrapped up with his girl'? LOL. . .couldn't resist.

You get the 10 yet? Hey, if you come help me do this stuff, I'll set you up with beer or liquor or whatever.

·
Registered
675 Posts
First is first....
A girl on a R6 is much more attractive to me and takes priority over any dude on a zx9. :twofinger

Next, the 10 still is illusive... I have not sat on one yet but, I am almost 100% that the black one will be under my ass very soon.

As for the work done on your bike, I can help no prob... we should save the hard stuff for after......if you want the bike to run and not end up in a situation like this....

"Done, (hickup)"

Wheelie - "but wait what are all these extra parts for?" (nuts, bolts, valves, screws, washers, scattered all over the floor)

"I guess I took the lib.. libberr.... liberty to lighten it up at no charge" (stumble, stumble, crash)

In all seriousness... I can help with most of this some will require special tools that you may not have. To adjust the valves on this thing is really alot of work. They didn't make that task easy at all.

Lets talk about how, where and when you want this all done.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
What no reach around?

Brake service (check pads, replace if neccesary, spray down with brake cleaner) 20 minutes
Stainless lines (Install is a 15 minute job *3bolts* Bleeding is another 20 minutes or so unless you got a friend)
Service shock. thats a bunch of crap, the shocks are non servicable. All you can do is lube the pivot points. Yey.
Replace subframe. Remove tail plastics (6 allen bolts) cut a few zip ties to free the wiring harness. Subframe is attached by 4 bolts. Replace, reinstall. 2hrs tops
Oil change (remove lower fairing, drain, change filter) another 10 minutes.
Clutch (do it while you got the oil drained) Remove clutch cover (8 or so long bolts) remove 5 bolts holding the plates (hang on to the springs) install new plates, use new gasket for the cover. another hour or so.

See what I'm getting at?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Damn that a late responce... thats what I get for hitting "reply" and walking away from the computer

·
Registered
675 Posts
Vash said:
What no reach around?
See what I'm getting at?
Brake service (check pads, replace if neccesary, spray down with brake cleaner) 20 minutes
Stainless lines (Install is a 15 minute job *3bolts* Bleeding is another 20 minutes or so unless you got a friend)
Service shock. thats a bunch of crap, the shocks are non servicable. All you can do is lube the pivot points. Yey.
Replace subframe. Remove tail plastics (6 allen bolts) cut a few zip ties to free the wiring harness. Subframe is attached by 4 bolts. Replace, reinstall. 2hrs tops
Oil change (remove lower fairing, drain, change filter) another 10 minutes.
Clutch (do it while you got the oil drained) Remove clutch cover (8 or so long bolts) remove 5 bolts holding the plates (hang on to the springs) install new plates, use new gasket for the cover. another hour or so. See what I'm getting at? [/B][/QUOTE]

Vash you should work for a nascar team if your that fast.... damn it takes me 10min to find the right tools to do each job....lol

For that bike you don't even have to take any faring off for the old change. you can do it as is. "love that about this model"

If your organized enough and do your homework you can organize a plan to minimize the time by doing each job in the most effective sequence.

I will help in all of this but the valves I am not sure I want to do that again......

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andrew, I'm thinking late April when it's warm enough to do this shit. It's too cold out now. If this stuff isn't that hard, I'll pick up the equivalent of a Chilton's manual for the 9 and we should be good to go. Whatever tools we'll need I'll get. I've moved, and didn't think you knew that. I'm in North Conway now, on the same road as Cranmore Mountain. I can literally walk to go skiing, and I've got plenty of room to do the work on the bike.

Glad to hear you and the chick are still going strong. I'm bouncing from one to another, not able to settle down. There's one I dig, but she's young (not young like yours), and there are some politics involved. Aren't there always politics!

You still at the 939 number?

Vash, thanks for those time estimates. Might be worth it after all, minus the valve job.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm thinking a trip to the dealership to look at new bikes might be a better option. Maybe it's time to upgrade. That new 10 looks awfully sweet. I miss having a new bike. :cool:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Effin politics! Dont get me started.

Anyways, double my time estimates and you still can get all of that done in a saturday.
Valves I've never done, so I cant help you there. On the clutch you will need a clutch basket holder tool. You can do it without it, there are two methods.
1. Take one of the old clutch plates and weld a handle to it. Presto. Just need a welder.
2. Jam a screwdriver into the slots in the side of the clutch basket and hope you dont scratch anything too bad. Thats what I did, cause I was too damn broke to get the tool.

Best of luck... I doubt you need a manual for anything there... the hardest thing is the clutch plates, and even that is a pretty easy job.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vash said:
Effin politics! Dont get me started.
Unfortunately the politics involve another girl and the fact that this is an extremely small town.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
wheelie123 said:
Unfortunately the politics involve another girl and the fact that this is an extremely small town.
I hear ya.. this place is 12k people...
So I've had it "not work out" due to religious differences twice... can you think of a stupider reason?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Vash said:
I hear ya.. this place is 12k people...
So I've had it "not work out" due to religious differences twice... can you think of a stupider reason?
Holy shizzle. . . religion was the reason? Now I've heard it all. I can understand that happening in New York City or something, but in TX? Jesus Christ. . .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts