Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this for awhile... How much do you really care about your bike?

Since I bought my RR a couple months ago I've dropped it against my garage wall, broken a few plastic tab things on the front fairing and yesterday I cracked part of the upper fairing when it got stuck in the belt loop of my pants when I was walking against it. My F4i is another story... I've layed it down once last year, dropped it twice in the parking lot this year because I didn't get around to finishing some of my brake and suspension mods and once I dropped it against my garage wall as well. I see my bikes as things to have fun with not having to worry about scratching the paint or, well, dropping it against my garage wall. Its a small garage. Anyways, what's your view?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I try to take pretty good care of them. I'm kind of particular about stuff like that. I hate scratching them, and if something gets messed up, I have to fix it or it'll drive me nuts. The only exception is the stator cover on the Gixxer which I still haven't replaced since the wreck. Yeah, they are made to have fun on, but given the fact that I have a good bit of money in them, I try to keep them nice.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I have more than a few scratches on mine. It pains me to have them, but when I compare the cost to repair them versus using the money to visit a track day or update my gear, I find its a secondary desire. I love my bike more than nearly any other thing I *own* but there are other financial priorities (that spicersh has clarified elsewhere) that prevent my maintenance of its visual perfection.

Examples:
Changing a tire the spoon has slipped twice off the rim-savers causing gouges into the wheel.

While lifting the tank only briefly to retrieve a dropped bolt, it got shifted into something else and got a scratch near the riding position.

A lowside has ripped a 12" slit down my black lower and rather than spend the $50+ to get a used one I opted to use plastic glue and black paint to patch it into operable condition again.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I stopped caring after I dropped it the second time. It's not like you can see scratches when you're going down the road anyway. Besides, it's my first bike and it was bound to get damaged. Now my pipes, on the other hand, are perfect and if they get messed up I will freak out.

But I'm currently running with a slightly 'tweaked' break lever, a scratched right mirror, scratched right fairing and a rear break lever that has been bent into the side of the engine (and bent back in place). :loser:

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
The first time I dropped it, I was pissed off.

The second time, I was seriously pissed off.

The third time, I was MEGA pissed off, then started laughing.

I came to the realisation that it's just some pretty paint on a piece of machinery. That being said, I know I'll never sell her, ever. Regardless of other bikes that might come into my life, she'll always be in my garage.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm extremely anal about my bike. Anybody whos seen me do an oil change gets really annoyed with me and my attention to detail on my bike. When I'm getting it ready for a track day I try to create as few ripples in the tape as I can. I guess I just figure the zx takes such good care of me I should return the favor.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
I think like any significant investment, it should be taken care of. I'm not overly concerned though. To borrow a line from cookee from another thread:

You're going to ride it, not have sex with it.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I think like any significant investment, it should be taken care of.
That's probably part of my problem. I don't view any vehicle as an investment since they all depreciate pretty rapidly. Rather its a toy in my mind.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Depreciation aside, they are a significant investment. The initial monetary investment, followed by the time and money involved in the care, maintenance, mods, etc makes me feel like I should take good care of my bikes. Sometimes I slack a bit, but for the most part, I try to pamper them in the garage to make up for how much I thrash them on the road.

·
Registered
452 Posts
if i had plastics then i wouldnt give a darn

·
Registered
24 Posts
i'm gonna be sure to buy a bike thats already been dropped once or twice so i can be carefree about the paint. I'm anal as all get-out about my car and I don't want to have to be that way about my bike. Even when i upgrade a couple years down the road I'll probably get one with some battlescars so i dont feel like i have to worry about it ever

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I have a bit of road rash on my bike, but I don't care about it any less. As soon as I get done spending money on tons of other shit right now... (maybe this winter), I have every intention of fixing her. I definitely don't just throw her around the garage, though. Bike or not... I just don't treat my shit like that. Every time I break something I own that needs to be fixed, I am taking one step back. I don't want to spend money on the same things I have already bought... I want to spend money on MORE things.

Sure, accidents happen... but I couldn't imagine just simply not caring about it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Be it a toy or transportation, it's too expensive for me not to care. I get upset everytime it gets damaged but if it's an easy or cheap fix I won't stay upset as long. The only way I could not care is if I had enough extra money to buy a replacement without blinking an eye.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cat made a good point.. I also buy bikes pre-rashed so I wouldn't feel so bad when I add my own. My RR came rashed on left side and the other day I lowsided at Mid-Ohio in a right hander, as most turns there are. Oops. At least both sides match now.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Hope you're all right OSU!

·
Registered
217 Posts
mechanically, i take very good care of my bike (oil changes, sprockets, chains, fluid levels, tires, etc.) however anything dealing with cosmetics, i tend not to care about. Why would i waste time cleaning when that time is time i could use to ride. i bought my bike rashed, and ive added some rash and cracks; i cant wash those away. im a college kid on a college budget. that means spending my money on funtional items.

however, if i got a new bike that was in great condition, i'd probably try to keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
They're only new once. You will always notice any flaws more than anyone else. I spend about and hour or so per month just polishing and maintenance on my four bikes. Not really that big of a deal. A good spray wax works wonders and you can give it a good inspection while you are wiping it down. Adjust/lube the change, check the tire pressure and check/change the fluids and there you go!

When I got my Harley I scratched the tank with a zipper getting on it in the dealer lot.
I filled them with touch up paint, but 18 years later I still notice those scratches. Think I'll give it a paint job for it's 20th.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts