Sportbike World banner

How much have you/ would you spend customizing your bike(s)?

• $0 -- I like it as is!

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • $100-$999 -- I'm thrifty and crafty

Votes: 74 44.3%
  • $1000 - $2000 -- yes i admit... I have a spending problem.

Votes: 47 28.1%
  • $2000 and up -- I'm rich.

Votes: 39 23.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have spent maybe a thousand bucks on my ZX9. I have no desire for any big changes. The best money was spent on the suspension being redone by Race Tech, wich I think was about 3 or 4 hundred bucks. But I am going to have a custom seat made for about three bills. I have spent a lot for soft luggage and tank bags, some of which is just collecting dust now. Guess that does not count for customization.

Now, my standard bike, that is another story. I might be headed for that two thousand marker when I get finished, we will see. The engine work is next, that is going to be the big dollar item.

I still want a VTX 1800. I think I could easily surpass two grand on that bike. When I looked into buying a Softail Deuce, I had $3000 worth of accessories picked out before the bike was going to make it out the door.

·
Registered
231 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$

F3Bufford, I'm right there w/ you when it come to "suprise" spending! My bike is still in the shop (had a little accident), so the deductable is $400, and while it's in there, I mind as well have some dual slip-ons thrown on there ($450-699 + installation, depending on brand).

And for X-mas I want:
Flyscreen
Flushmounts for flyscreen (seriously!!!!)
Fender eliminator
Neons (just a little)

$$$!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: $$$$$$$$$$$

Honda919Rider said:
F3Bufford, I'm right there w/ you when it come to "suprise" spending! My bike is still in the shop (had a little accident), so the deductable is $400, and while it's in there, I mind as well have some dual slip-ons thrown on there ($450-699 + installation, depending on brand).

And for X-mas I want:
Flyscreen
Flushmounts for flyscreen (seriously!!!!)
Fender eliminator
Neons (just a little)

$$$!
thats how it all starts. After my accident is when I started my kick to customize my bike. Its been about a year now and since I'm almost done with it.. I'm just ready to ride again!

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
Awww ya know, a guys gotta go what a guys gotta do :D

but lately I've just gotten stupid with it (as seen in the links below)... I have had a set of cannister sleeves powdercoated black as well as the exhaust hangars & obtained some gold anodised bands & even replaced the entire front cowl because my stock one had too many rock chips etc from too many weekend warrior trips... It's an addiction as I want the bike to be both unique & functional & the way I see it is ya have to spend your money on something LOL My next large expenditure will be Brembo monoblock calipers & full floaters maybe once that is finished I will start on the 919 :D

http://www.rc51.org/host/uc1.jpg

http://www.rc51.org/host/uc2.jpg

http://www.rc51.org/host/uc3.jpg

http://www.rc51.org/host/uc4.jpg

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
How much?

So, Duckhunter, tell us: how much have you spent on aftermarket items?

·
Honda Moderator
458 Posts
I've spent a little here & there, but I use 1-800-COLLECT so I can save a buck or two that way my poor ass can keep adding parts :)

What really gets expensive is all the parts I buy just to test... I've been through 5 different exhausts, 3 sets of rearsets, 3 windshields plus 3 prototypes that I had made just for me etc... & that's just the normal stuff as I had also bought a spare motor & had HRC pistons installed just to see what happened...

I've got some sizable plans on the horizon for the 919 as well including upgrading the brakes & an Ohlins shock, fork work & even some additional powdercoating maybe even some streetfighter DYMAG's

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Lord Duckhunter said:
I've spent a little here & there, but I use 1-800-COLLECT so I can save a buck or two that way my poor ass can keep adding parts :)
So, how much? $10,000? $8,000? $7,000? Seems like you spent more than the price of the bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Suzuki Hayabusa cost $10,300 and since then I've put approx. $2300-$2500 more into it in after-market improvements.

K&N Filter
Galfer SS front and rear brake and clutch lines
Two Brother's Racing 4-2-1 X-metal exhaust system
Ohlins front fork springs
Ohlins rear shock
Power Commander II
Zero Gravity ST wind screen
Wrist rest cruise control
Yellow Box
TSS sub-frame braces
Muzzy radiator fan
Corbin Seat

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have spent more on good gear and a kick ass helmet than on my bike. Granted, I had the gear all bought before the bike even arrived (including a tank bag and tank/gas covers)
all in all, about $130 on just the bike......so far....an akrapovic exhaust is next.....mmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Well, Lord Duckhunter has not given us a number, so I guess it must be over ten grand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I might have you all beat:

1984 FJ 600 - Most recent bill $5600.60 US.

Modifications included:

- VFR800 swingarm and wheel installed.
- mounted a turbo and fabricated the exhaust header.
- installed a GSXR1100 front end.

The kicker is, I still have to put the rest of it back together and make a wiring harness!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
No way jose

Hey all,

After reading all of your posts, I just feel that the bike, which cost from 7Grand up, should come with all that I'd ever need in a bike.

I know guys who buy a brand new bike for 9 bones easy and after the paint job, chrome, exhaust, etc... the bike should be worth 15 bones but may not be so.

my .00002 ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts