Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to how many of you have and would suggest riding boots? Right now I just ride with my pair of hiking boots and they seem fine. Are they worth the money? Are they comfortable? I mean I know they have to be better protection wise, but how many of you would say they were worth it for street riding?

Dave

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
IMHO, if you do any type of "spirited" riding they are worth the money for the added protection and durability.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Ouch !

Having broken all of my toes in my left foot while wearing a "quality pair of walking boots" in a spill at not more than 35 mph, I would definetly recommend wearing proper motorcycle boots.

This does not mean that I would have been any better off with proper bike boots on. I'll never know, but it was BLOODY SORE all the same.:crying:

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wore hiking boots for years then one day I broke down and bought a pair of riding boots. I could not believe the difference it made. They feel a lot better, look better, and fit better on the pegs and shifting. I will never be without a pair again.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Definite YES

There are quite a number of good reasons to wear good quality riding boots, and the ones mentioned above are some of the best, hairy legs and all.

I got a pair of Prexport boots from NewEnough.com about a year and a half ago, and they really do make a difference. Besides providing more protection than your run-of-the-mill Nikes, boots with vents are cooler and offer a larger area of protection, your feet fit better on the pegs and they provide more and better "armor".

One thing I never thought about until I read it was the fact that because they are generally lighter than say, hiking boots, the don't act as pendulums when you have an unexpected get-off at 120MPH, and your feet are flailing the ground, breaking toes, ankles, and anything else that gets in the way.

That's also the reason you don't want steel toed boots........

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would definitely recommend riding boots. The good ones offer protection for your toes, heels, ankles, and shin. No other type of "street" shoes will have ALL that. Plus, boots for riding give you way better feel for the controls. Not to mention they will give you better protection from the elements. I've seen people wearing tennis shoes and such fall off at less than 35 mph and I swear, both shoes come flying off their pretty white feet!! :barf: That reason alone is enough for me to pay the $$ for a good pair of boots.

For entry level boots, I like the Alpinestar's GPS. $170.

There are of course other brands. But the above has most of the protection of their racing boots, and you can walk around in them too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I thought my work boots were adequate but after recently buying a pair of Alpinestars I can see how inadequate they really were. The riding boot offers protection in the impact/contact areas, toe sliders, and easier access to controls. They also are taller so my riding pant legs aren't blowing around in the wind. They were 260.00 on sale for 220.00. Definately worth the investment.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thank God for Boots

First weekend in Sept. I was on Mt. Lemon. Following a buddy of mine on a Busa, he ran inside a patch of sand, I ran right through it. Front end washed right out, bike came down on its left side. naturally it landed on my leg/ankle thus driving my knee into the ground. after a brief slide I sat up and surveyed the situation. Leathers had the knee outer torn off, armor showing through, boots had strong abrasions, sliders badly damaged,

me? rug burn on knee and elbow.

Later that evening I noticed soreness on my shin and ankle area. Upon further inspection I noteced a slihgt bruising of both areas. So I pose this question, what injuries would I have sustained wearing hiking boots??

I like the Alpinestars SMX boot. Good value and definite protection!!

The ones I crashed on were the Gaerne Strada boot. Second crash on them and I'll swear by them. Probably will wear them when I get the new gixxer. :)

P

·
Registered
180 Posts
Rogue_Biker said:
I would definitely recommend riding boots. The good ones offer protection for your toes, heels, ankles, and shin. No other type of "street" shoes will have ALL that.

Riding boots...don't leave home without 'em...they are worth the money, throw down for a pair and you won't be sorry. There are so many options in boots, not all of them have to cost $280.00...

There are so many styles of Street Riding boots to choose from, you shouldn't have to only focus on GP style boots...although, in my opinion they offer the most protection (but make you look sort of dorky if you've got to go into a Mall or Restaurant...)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look Ma! No Feet!

I worked with a woman who used to be an E.M.T. . When I got my bike, I added gloves, jacket and helmet to the financing. She saw that I didn't have any boots and begged me to buy a pair right away. She told me a few stories about the motorcycle accidents that she saw. Lots of broken or smashed feet and even amputated feet. I didn't think twice about spending $250 to increase my chances of keeping my feet my entire life!

·
Registered
15 Posts
RobG said:
I thought my work boots were adequate but after recently buying a pair of Alpinestars I can see how inadequate they really were. The riding boot offers protection in the impact/contact areas, toe sliders, and easier access to controls. They also are taller so my riding pant legs aren't blowing around in the wind. They were 260.00 on sale for 220.00. Definately worth the investment.
Yes! Not only do they offer all of this impact protection, but most riding boots also have parts that limit how far your ankle can twist in any direction.

On the steel toes issue, there are other reasons that you should never wear steel toes while riding. The steel cup that covers your toes offers great protection from things like logs or wrenches dropped from a few feet, however, when a much larger force is applied to this cup, the edge curls in and CUTS YOUR TOES OFF! :eek:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So pretty much everyone agrees about protection, what about comfort? Are they comfortable at all? I am leaning toward getting a pair but want to make sure they aren't going to be a huge pain to wear. Thank you for everyone's help.

Dave

·
Registered
202 Posts
every day boots

where can you find boots that don't make you look like a freak when not on the bike, without all the straps and velcro, something combat/work boot looking with all of the +'s of riding boots? something you could wear and no one would really know you are wearing bike boots....

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a pair of Sidi Strada boots, all black, and I'll second everyone's opinions on protection. As far as comfort, they are more comfortable than anything else on the bike, and while I wouldn't want to run a marathon in them, they are fine for casual walking around at stops, and I've even walked around for hours in them with no discomfort. No wind blowing up your jeans (if no leathers) if you ride with them tucked in, when the weather's cold you appreciate that a lot. Also, no cold wind bite to your toes or water leaking with the Lorica construction.

Got 'em for www.motonation.com for $200, though I've heard of some getting them from England at a savings, not sure of the address for that one. Do a search on Strada. www.newenough.com has new boots as well, and I highly recommend them; gotten all my gear from them.

good luck!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Comfort and style??

The alpinestars SMX boot that i'm considering is very comfortable. I wore it around the store for three hours (never bought it either) plus when you're on the bike, they're far more comfy than other shoes for two reasons:

1) they have shift lever padding
2) the boot bottom is stiff and designed to sit on a peg without flex.

If I had to choose between boots or a jacket in terms of comfort.......(don't make me choose) BOOTS!!!

If nothing else, buy a helmet gloves boots and jacket (all at the same time )

P

·
Registered
202 Posts
sounds good... the main thing is something I can wear all the time, on or off the bike. especially in these winter months so it's one peice of gearv that I don't have to lug around and spent 15-20 minutes gearing up for a ride

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: every day boots

Ronin369 said:
where can you find boots that don't make you look like a freak when not on the bike, without all the straps and velcro, something combat/work boot looking with all of the +'s of riding boots? something you could wear and no one would really know you are wearing bike boots....
Race boots only look dorky when they're multi-colored. So if you want a boot that looks combat/work looking for walking around, those race boots in BLACK is just the ticket. I personally think they look really cool in black.

·
Registered
698 Posts
fotobw said:
So pretty much everyone agrees about protection, what about comfort? Are they comfortable at all? I am leaning toward getting a pair but want to make sure they aren't going to be a huge pain to wear. Thank you for everyone's help.

Dave
When I did my Coastal tour of California, I wore Alpinestar's GP TECH boots in black. These boots are full on race boots with toe sliders, calf sliders, ventilation, etc., etc. It was the only pair of footwear I had so I wore them even when I was hiking around dirt, soft sand, or the streets of Monterey. I really did walk around in them a lot. Not once did they become uncomfortable. Nor did I get stupid comments or looks from people. Nobody even noticed. So yes. Riding boots are very comfortable. They did take a couple of short rides to break them in.

One important word of advice though: If you're looking for riding boots that you can also use a lot away from riding, choose a pair of boots with minimal amount of EXTERNAL HARD plastic parts on it. This is because those hard plastic parts will rub against each other as you walk and will cause the boot to "squeek" with each step you take. This in my opinion is quite embarassing. Especially indoors. Outdoors it's not so noticeable. When the boots are new, they won't make this noise. But when they wear, I guarantee that they will start squeeking. The good thing is, there are many riding boots out there that has all the protection of a race boot, without all the hard plastic parts outside it that rub & squeek.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts