Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late last night on my way home from work I drove up on a very nasty accident involving a Ford Explorer and what was left of a Honda CBR929. The police were still arriving to the scene and the fire department was on its way. When I pulled over and asked one of the cops if everyone was ok he said the guy on the bike was lucky to be breathing. It was a case where both drivers were trying to beat a yellow light and met in the middle... the bike turning left and the Ford going straight through from the opposite direction. The cop estimated impact to be at about 40 miles per hour. He also predicted that the rider of the bike was going to be in traction for a few months.

People... use common sense when approaching any situation. If the light's yellow, you may want to consider stopping before someone else stops you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Too True

Good Point Hot Rocket.

Whether riding or in the cage (integra) I always have to question my motive on the road. Granted I want to go fast and enjoy the ride/drive, but in the end, aren't we just trying to enjoy life??

On the way to work in the mornings you see the most aggressive things, people cutting people off, running lights, abusive language and hand gestures, and for what???

To get to work three minutes sooner?? Work, not play, WORK.

Thanks for the reminder HR,

What company has the slogan "Enjoy the Ride??" Nissan?? Couldn't have said it any better.

P

·
Registered
987 Posts
Not even 3 minutes Paul, but seconds. How many times have you watched someone cut in & out of traffic for miles, only to arrive maybe 2 or 3 cars ahead of you? They pissed off all those people and risked an accident just to get somewhere three seconds sooner.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
202 Posts
DoubleAught said:
Not even 3 minutes Paul, but seconds. How many times have you watched someone cut in & out of traffic for miles, only to arrive maybe 2 or 3 cars ahead of you? They pissed off all those people and risked an accident just to get somewhere three seconds sooner.:rolleyes:
I couldn't agree more, but I ocassionally find myself doing the same thing. Very good point, thanx!

Also a great point about ariving to WORK three minutes earlier, who the hell cares about a lousy three minutes?!! If you are going to get fired over this, might want to reconsider your career! Cool thread!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: Too True

Paul 750 said:
Good Point Hot Rocket.

On the way to work in the mornings you see the most aggressive things, people cutting people off, running lights, abusive language and hand gestures, and for what???

P
Where you following me this morning......???:) ;) :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
I don't know about you guys & gals but I love racing people to work. It's so envigorating! Especially when I win. :D

Don't get me wrong, I love to drive/ride fast. However, not at the expense of someone else getting hurt. Nor do I tailgate or cut people off while doing it. In my experience, tailgating gets people mad and all they do is slow down more. What I do is I stay back a good car length, then when the space presents itself, I pass. I don't think there's harm in that. I really don't like driver confrontations.

Of course, the reason for commuting on a bike is so I don't have to get stuck behind slower drivers. It's almost as if they don't exist around me. I just "fly by", away from them. Except at stop lights. Then everyone's equal. :)

·
Registered
702 Posts
DoubleAught said:
LMAO! I see that all the time. Most of the time around here, I end up next to them at the stop lights and I thorw up the BIG L and just stare at them like I'm Crazy. :D

True Story, This Girl in a freakin Geo Metro Tried to Pass me in the Right Lane going UP a Bridge and she was ridng me butt!!! Not only did she try this 1, not 2 times, but 5 times! This particular bridge has 2 spans so we go up and down twice. Not to mention this was all taking place at 60 MPH in a 40 Zone. Have any of your ever driven a GEO METRO?!?! I have, ONE TIME AND ONE TIME ONLY! It's got 3 Gears and might have a top Speed of 75, and that's not UP HILL! Oh! ANDDDDDD I've got my Girl on the back, imagine my sympathy for this Stupid Trailor Whore's hurry to get back to her next call!

Here's the best part! After the Bridge, there's what we call "The Cross Town", basically a Highway with 3 Lanes on both sides, 1 Mile long, and like 5 or 6 stop lights. So at Every Stop Light I made sure I was next to her in one lane or another so she could see me when I went "L". I even had my Girlfriend doing it a few times! Oh this Girl was realyl pissed of by the 4th light ;) hehe

Aaaaah I feel so much better now, Bed Time :D

·
Registered
580 Posts
morning traffic

Its really true about the morning traffic. By this I mean from about 6:30 to 9 in the morning. I often ride the same roads at different times of the day. During this time I see far more thoughtless, rude things (and some deliberately hostile things) than at any other time. Oh if if were only possible to get these jackasses out of their cars sometimes so I could look them in the eye and maybe knock out a tooth or two. Stay next to an emergency lane and watch out if you have to ride in the morning. I usually take side streets during these hours because two lane roads are easier to deal with then the multi lane meatgrinder that runs through town. It takes a little longer but unlike at least 1/2 of morning hour drivers , I seem to have that rare ability to leave with enough time to get there! HA HA HA and a big f*** you to all you morning a**holes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I commute 50 miles in traffic every day. :-( When riding in traffic it bears repeating the "Lug nut theory" to yourself.

"Lug Nut Theory" states: In a collision, the vehicle with the most lug nuts wins.

If you assume all the cagers out there are actively TRYING to hit you, it'll save you a lot of heartache.

·
Registered
702 Posts
realwrld said:
What is the Big L, or L ??
The LOSER sign you make with your Thumb and Index Finger.

Nick and Spiderman,

I agree with both of you! Honestly, it looks like I'm really trying to ride at break neck speed all the time, but in all truth, I'm riding in my own safe zone. Eventually I'll get out in front of that "Pack" of cars. Then I stay in front of that pack ,but behind the next one, in the empty space on the highway. oh and Drunk people are the best, on the weekends, I'll actually follow 5 or six of them on my way home. It's funny to watch LOL

·
Registered
580 Posts
ditto, and one more off topic thing

Thats what I do too. I seek out the place with the most room and try to stay there.
Another thing I like to do in heavy traffic is if I get someone following me who has enough sense to keep the proper space, I try to make sure no one cuts between us. Conversely if they are like the majority (tailgaters) I let the space in front of me build up to about 4-5 car lengths and then punch it. Before they can close the distance, usually someone will merge into the space. Theres no guarantee it wont be an even bigger idiot, but I can roll the dice this way as many times as I need until I get someone who drives safely. This works great for me but be warned if you try it that people may try to merge in front of you as you are accelerating.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on accident...

Small world...

I found out over the weekend that the guy on the bike is my exboyfriends best friend who just purchased his brand new 929 a week ago. He's in stable condition and the sensation in his legs is day to day. (crossing fingers)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Re: Update on accident...

hot_rocket78 said:
Small world...

I found out over the weekend that the guy on the bike is my exboyfriends best friend who just purchased his brand new 929 a week ago. He's in stable condition and the sensation in his legs is day to day. (crossing fingers)
Hey Diane, sorry to hear that....its bad enough to happen at all,
but much worse when it is someone you know...:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts