Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread floating around here got me curious. How many people here have their own website? I'm not talking facebook/myspace/etc. I mean an actual website. Did you created your own site, or pay to have it done?

I have two different websites... one I am working on, and the other is a former project that I just use primarily for hosting pictures, mp3s, videos, and anything else I feel like hosting. I do all the legwork myself... which is why they usually look like crap. I didn't have any schooling or anything like that for web design. Everything that I know (Which isn't much) I figured out on my own. If I get hung on certain things, sometimes I ask for help here or there.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I've got one that I started in high school, and kind of tweaked for a couple years, but have barely touched it in quite a while. It never really had a purpose other than the fact that I thought it would be cool to have my own website. But that was way before Myspace/facebook made personal websites almost obsolete. I started by writing all the html myself, then I went to Frontpage around 2004. It's nothing special and I'm seriously considering letting it go.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've thought about letting mine go, too. The problem is I get 2gb worth of hosting for $25/year. It has come in way too handy, so I just keep renewing it. The second website came as a "$7/year for domain registration / Get an additional 1gb free" deal. That, in turn, came with a "Referring domain gets 1gb additional" deal... so all in all, I ended up with 4gb worth of hosting for $32/year. My problem is that I have WAY too many side projects going right now to find time for any new website design. Not to mention keeping up with myspace, since they allow you to use your own HTML as well. I just keep thinking that I will actually do something with them sometime soon.

Maybe not, though. Who knows.

Oh yeah... all 25 MP3s that are on my Mpspace page are hosted on one of those servers. :) As well as the background, smaller images, etc. Pretty much everything on that page, actually.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I had one for my daughter that I accidentally let lapse when the DNS reneqal came around. It was pretty nice with pictures/videos of my daughter from birth to present. I did that since she has family members all over teh country and it was just easiest for them to check out the site to see her grow.

I have one for Pittsburgh based motorcyclists. Members are from all over, but it has a huge Pittsburgh member base.

Thinking about starting another one for my family so we can all keep in touch.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
I have free access to web space but have only really used it to either store web pages I didn't want to see disappear (nor anyone else access) or for pictures for classified items/personal use.

Perhaps its my age, paranoia level, and experience with hiring, but you'll probably never see me with a social networking page unless it becomes a required part of the hiring process in nearly all of industry.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I have free access to web space but have only really used it to either store web pages I didn't want to see disappear (nor anyone else access) or for pictures for classified items/personal use.

Perhaps its my age, paranoia level, and experience with hiring, but you'll probably never see me with a social networking page unless it becomes a required part of the hiring process in nearly all of industry.
I noticed your profile details are vague. I always assumed that reference to ID theft in your sig might have had something to do with it.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A lot of people share that view. It is an age thing. It comes from days not that long ago (6-10 years) when there was no security protection on computers. Nothing was as safe as it is now.

Now you have to actually do something stupid to get into trouble with identity theft/credit card fraud. You know... clicking bad links, replying to those UK "Your uncle died and left you $4,000,000" emails, giving your user name and password to a paypal email that claims your account was closed, despite the fact that paypal has warnings all over it saying they will never ask for your password.

Some people either don't realize the security measures that have been stepped up, or they just don't trust them. I can't say I don't understand. I'm not one of them, though. I buy EVERYTHING online.

Here is one for you to add to the "Irony" category. About a month ago my father got a letter from the bank saying that his debit card was being shut down due to a breech in personal information (Someone had his card number). It wasn't from an internet purchase, though. It was from the local grocery store. My mother had the same issue with her credit card number... from another local store.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
A lot of people share that view. It is an age thing. It comes from days not that long ago (6-10 years) when there was no security protection on computers. Nothing was as safe as it is now.

Now you have to actually do something stupid to get into trouble with identity theft/credit card fraud. You know... clicking bad links, replying to those UK "Your uncle died and left you $4,000,000" emails, giving your user name and password to a paypal email that claims your account was closed, despite the fact that paypal has warnings all over it saying they will never ask for your password.

Some people either don't realize the security measures that have been stepped up, or they just don't trust them. I can't say I don't understand. I'm not one of them, though. I buy EVERYTHING online.

Here is one for you to add to the "Irony" category. About a month ago my father got a letter from the bank saying that his debit card was being shut down due to a breech in personal information (Someone had his card number). It wasn't from an internet purchase, though. It was from the local grocery store. My mother had the same issue with her credit card number... from another local store.
You presume waaaay too much. I've been in Internet security since its infancy and am quite aware of what's possible and what's not.

Thanks to page caching, however, when you post pictures of yourself partying at Spring Break they'll be around forever for hiring managers to discover and there's no way for you to ever stop them from being discovered. And that's just the very tip of the iceberg.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You presume waaaay too much. I've been in Internet security since its infancy and am quite aware of what's possible and what's not.
What I said wasn't directed toward you. ;) It was a generalization. Everyone I talk to that is anti-internet says what I just posted. Hence my post.

And my boss can find any picture of me he wants. He will only feel safer with my working for him. I carry pharmaceutical meds (CIIs, Narcotics, etc) for a living. 90% of the pictures floating around with me in them are either driving fast or shooting firearms. I don't do drugs. Hell, I don't even really drink anymore. Pics of me doing bad things just don't exist.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
I usually check for criminal history, and Myspace for my applicants, just to rule out the ones that aren't even worth calling. Of course the business I'm in doesn't require the highest caliber of people. I'm sure there's pictures of me out there somewhere, and they could come back to bite me in the ass if I change fields, but as long as I stay where I'm at I don't foresee a problem.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually check for criminal history, and Myspace for my applicants, just to rule out the ones that aren't even worth calling. Of course the business I'm in doesn't require the highest caliber of people. I'm sure there's pictures of me out there somewhere, and they could come back to bite me in the ass if I change fields, but as long as I stay where I'm at I don't foresee a problem.

:laughing::laughing: So I definitely wouldn't get a job, huh?

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
"That son of a bitch".
Lol. There's a little town a couple miles from my house that's notorious for being a speed trap. At one point it was one if the top 20 in the country. If you do 1mph over, you're getting a ticket. So I always cruise through there at 34 on the bike, usually in 4th gear so the pipe's not too loud. The cops like to sit right at the edge of town, so I give them a not and the second I pass out of their jurisdiction, two clicks down and romp on that baby! I know, it's a squidly thing to do, but those quys are dicks, so I might as well mess with them.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We won't get into cop stories. lol. I spent the first 21 years of my life in a town of 200 people (mostly family members, too... but that's another story). They contracted out with the County Sheriffs dept to patrol the town. In VT, the sheriffs are literally just glorified rent-a-cops.

Anyway... I was a founding member of a car club in that area that had 64 members, and the cops were ALWAYS out to get us. It got worse when one of the guys decided to start egging them on by doing things like you described. The only difference is, he waited until he was out of sight... not jurisdiction. After about 2 weeks of that, one particular cop decided to start checking out my house. My house happens to be 1 mile up a private road, which makes it illegal for them to even drive up that road without a warrant. Only state police have the authority to enter private residence in a situation like that. Anyway, I saw him at the end of my driveway with binoculars, and I took off running right straight for his car with my digital camera in hand. I got 3 VERY clear shots of his car. I emailed them to my mother, who was the town clerk of our town at the time (And thus responsible for the hiring of the Sheriffs dept). She, in turn, called the guy in charge at the station and told him what had happened, and threatened to bring them to court. She forwarded the pictures to him. The next day, he called my house and apologized about what his deputy had done and informed me that the deputy no longer worked for him.

That was the first of two that were fired for such things. But, I still ended up with a BS 3 page record of moving violations out of the deal. It would have been worse, had I not known the county judge personally.

But then again... even as far as crooked cops go, these guys were definitely an exception. The crap they used to pull on us would make your head spin.

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
How in the world did you end up being a bus driver with that many moving violations?

And I've had a couple cops pull some dirty tricks on me before. Luckily I was expecting it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts