Sportbike World banner

Do you have health insurance?

  • Yes, via my employer.

    Votes: 31 64.6%
  • Yes, I buy personal coverage.

    Votes: 8 16.7%
  • No

    Votes: 9 18.8%

  • Total voters
    48
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a local motorcycling forum a rider went down this weekend. His motorcycle was destroyed and he had to be helicoptered to the local hospital. Apparently he had only basic motorcycle insurance (liability) and no health insurance so people are pitching in to help.

However there are lots of us who question why anyone would be riding an $8000 sportbike if he can't afford both full insurance for the bike and health insurance to cover the medical bills in the event of an incident.

So I wanted to ask the group here. How many of you have health insurance?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
my bike insurance includes medical, up to $2500 (the ER visit) employer covers the rest via blue cross.
 

·
Some days are like this.
Joined
·
3,132 Posts
Even though the only bike we currently have is a Buell Blast, spicersh and I carry full coverage on it because you just. never. know.

We also have excellent medical coverage through his employer (we do pay a monthly fee towards premiums), and that's another thing I would never go without because you just. never. know.

We had a baby in 2004 and after all the bills were in for prenatal care, delivery, hospital and the first year of baby care (well baby visits, immunizations and two sick visits), we would have been looking at well over $40K, but only paid around $50 in copays all told.

Bottom line? We can afford the set monthy insurance premiums, we *can't* afford any huge medical bills or wrecked vehicle bills that might pop up, so it makes sense to carry insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
295 Posts
in florida you have to have a minimum of 10000 health insurance, which is what i have but being in the millitary as long as im wearing a helmet im covered if anything were to happen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,442 Posts
SkinnyJ said:
in florida you have to have a minimum of 10000 health insurance, which is what i have but being in the millitary as long as im wearing a helmet im covered if anything were to happen
You only need a minimum of 10k if you ride without a helmet, other than that you just need to have proof of liability in a crash. I have health insurance, but not in the event of a wreck on my bike. So long as the accedent is not deemed bike related, I'm covered. I only have the minimum liability on it, but once I get a job that pays for my health insurance and what not, I will be going full coverage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,400 Posts
Can I sub that with LIFE INSURANCE plus the so called Cdn health insurance --------- not to good for I know(man do I evey know for I cannot walk more then a block) I need a hip replacement, from an old home accident in winter Dec or '89, only have to wait a few months before I can see the specialist & basically 18 month or longer waiting list on the latter? LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,798 Posts
Smitty said:
Can I sub that with LIFE INSURANCE plus the so called Cdn health insurance --------- not to good for I know(man do I evey know for I cannot walk more then a block) I need a hip replacement, from an old home accident in winter Dec or '89, only have to wait a few months before I can see the specialist & basically 18 month or longer waiting list on the latter? LOL
The joys of socialized medical system....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
860 Posts
I think you would have to be crazy not to have insurance as a rider. My accident from last August cost almost 7k, and that was for only an 8 hour stay. Granted they ran me through just about every scan they could think of in the ER.

While I don't know the exact cost, my bro-inlaw was in an accident a year before me. I think it would be safe to say his cost was well above 100k. Hell, the life flight was almost 10k.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,490 Posts
Personal Injury Protection, aka "PIP", is what you want on your vehicle insurance.

It has to be requested in most states, or you waive it, usually by a signed document that agents often do not explain to you. Get the max limits (which should be way more than $2500) on it. On bikes it is not as high as for cars, but it will pay bills regardless of your health insurance coverage, and not everyone has Cadillac health insurance like Spicerke, so there could be a lot of loopholes that either delay your HI coverage or their payments on services so the PIP comes in very handy in the event of an accident.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,992 Posts
I have full health insurance, and full coverage on my vehicles.

It is BEYOND irresponsible to ride without health insurance. My insurance lapsed when I was changing jobs. During that time, I did not ride.... hell, I barely left the house. It would be my luck to trip in the driveway and suffer brain damage during that month I didn't have insurance.

I flatly refuse to contribute to idiots who get hurt participating in risky activities without being prepared for the concequences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
I have full coverage through work and it is cheap in comparison to what any kind of medical costs would be. You do need to see if your insurance would actually cover a motorcycle wreck, I know a lot of plans were considering dropping motorcycle related medical coverage.....some of the big HMO, PPO companies. If anyone needs some medical coverage, give me a PM, I can get you a price...if my companies deal in your state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
848 Posts
I don't have a full time job right now, and with school loans over $40k, and other assorted bills, I can't afford to pay for coverage. The exception being when the deductible is set at about $2500, which I couldn't afford if I needed to pay for it anyway.

But since my dreams were just shattered earlier this week, it doesn't look like I'll have a full time job next year, either. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
saturntangerine said:
I don't have a full time job right now, and with school loans over $40k, and other assorted bills, I can't afford to pay for coverage. The exception being when the deductible is set at about $2500, which I couldn't afford if I needed to pay for it anyway.

But since my dreams were just shattered earlier this week, it doesn't look like I'll have a full time job next year, either. :(
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Personally I think you'd be completely nuts to ride your bike now, even if it is your only long distance transportation (not that you said anything of the sort).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I lost my benefits when my employer could no longer afford them. I was paying for them on my own for about a year but at over a thousand dollars a month it also became not affordable. It amazes me that these insurance companies cry poverty but pay outrageous salaries to their ceo's and can afford to sponsor the super bowl half time show. I use my bikes all year round. My auto insurance in New Jersey is over 4 thousand a year. My bike insurance is $700 per year for multiple bikes and use about 5 gallons of gas per week
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
i have health insurance and i just switched from liability to coverage with comprehensive. I more worried about my bike getting stolen then getting it repaired. for $60 bux a month i'm happy :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
892 Posts
cootyboy said:
I lost my benefits when my employer could no longer afford them. I was paying for them on my own for about a year but at over a thousand dollars a month it also became not affordable. It amazes me that these insurance companies cry poverty but pay outrageous salaries to their ceo's and can afford to sponsor the super bowl half time show. I use my bikes all year round. My auto insurance in New Jersey is over 4 thousand a year. My bike insurance is $700 per year for multiple bikes and use about 5 gallons of gas per week
holy crap dude! why is it so much!? those are insane prices what on earth did u do to pay that much?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top