Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got some road rash from my first crash, in addition to a broken shoulder, hip, 2 ribs, concussion and broken collarbone. That was 30 years ago and I wasn't wearing all the proper gear. It was the result of a collision with a cage. I had a helmet on (thank God) which was shattered at the point where my head contacted the pavement. I did not have leathers or a jacket of any kind or gloves or boots. That was the last time I rode like that. The road rash may have been the most painful part of the whole thing.

Since then, I have broken my ankle 3 times, my shoulder twice more, fingers, more ribs, dislocated my shoulder twice and my collarbone once more.

These are mostly race related crashes...only one other one on the street.

I feel it now, whenever the weather starts to change all these old injuries come back to remind me.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
nothing long lasting. i have some scars from crashing in jeans, but not too bad. my crash in full leathers resulted in NO injuries at all (except for a sore thigh and right hand).

i actually crashed in leather the weekend before college finals week (always working hard) and still took all my finals and could write well enough to pass. :)

given the choice, leathers are the only way to crash.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I currently have a broken left pinky finger and small amount of roadrash on my right elbow from a race track get-off. It is my only crash and of course I had full racing getup on. :)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Fom competing in dirt comp & road racing ----

----- YES, but from riding on the paved roads & hwys for 55 plus yrs--- NONE.
Could be because in comp I was riding 110% or even harder, but on the paved roads & hwys I ride with around 50% of my ability & ride with this is mind---- "All the others on the roads are crazy & out to kill me ---- while I am the only sane person on the road". This was a tip I picked up back in 1948 from an old time rider.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Pure Dumb Luck, usually.

Yes, protective gear is great, but don't kid yourself, it is not the true answer. Wayne Rainey is in a wheelchair now, along with my friend who fell off a scaffold while working as a carpenter on a house. People who don't ride will never understand why we do. I have to accept I may crash or be crashed and receive grave personal injuries. The only thing worse would be crashing with a passenger and ultimately being responsible for their injuries or even death. It is very similar to decades ago when I was rock climbing, the first rule for a lead climber is that he CANNOT fall. It is the same here. DON"T CRASH. I crashed 3 out of 4 times by "pushing it", my fault, no one elses. I was wearing nothing more protective than a full-face helmet and most of my injuries were road rash, puncture wounds and sprains and bruises all over. I sometimes wear protective gear now more extensively and haven't needed to test it yet, go figure. The protective gear is more indicative of a responsible and concerned attitude and is probably the only important point. If it becomes something that makes me feel more invulvernable, which it may at times, then I may be headed for that crash eventually. I agree with all the others that say "race on the tracks", even if it is just the local drag nights. Good Luck, PEACE.:cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Crash #3:
Washed out front end on grease strip on interstate in rain @ ~60mph. Three vehicles ahead of me had a pileup; I decided I didn't want any part of their accident and had my own.

Wearing jeans, boots, non-armored leather jacket, non-armoured gloves, helmet and rainsuit. Rubberized rainsuit slid like peeled grape on wet asphalt.

Broke right thumb, broke a rib on the left side, cracked left scapula (shoulder blade). Slid quite some distance, but no road rash.

Crash #4:
Tooling down straight, flat road on sunny day, idiot in cage waiting in driveway on my right decides he can't wait for me to go by and pulls out. I swerved to avoid (doing maybe 35-45) and almost made it around him, but he t-boned me.

Wearing jeans, boots, non-armoured leather jacket, non-armoured gloves and helmet. Car hit my right leg, thrown off bike and tumbled.

Broke left ankle (two screws), right radius & ulna 1/2" above wrist (three temporary pins), and got compound fracture of right tib-fib (steel rod held in place by four screws). Serious road rash on left knee and right shin around fracture site. Sanded down exposed shinbone a bit on asphalt. (Ouch!!! :eek: ) Don't try this at home, kids.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm suprised your Tellitubby suit held up so well. :D

RCjohn said:
I currently have a broken left pinky finger and small amount of roadrash on my right elbow from a race track get-off. It is my only crash and of course I had full racing getup on. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
broken leg and ankle then stood up causing bones to poke out through the skin:crying:
My leg had a pin inserted from my knee to my ankle for 18 months held in by large self tapper screws.
No i wasnt wearing gear much to my discomfort (jeans and trainers) I reckon I would not been so badly injured if I had been waring boots and leathers . I still would of been hurt though as a direct hit from a car usually will cause damage no matter what you have on . iw car crushed my leg against the engine of my bike.
That was the end of my squidly not wearing the correct gear phase. A lesson learned the hard way.
12 years on I still suffer recurring knee pain as my joints are [email protected] from the injury.
So take heed all you shorts and T shirt brigade dont learn the hard way like I did

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went wide on a turn, getting thrown off my bike at 60-70, wearing a JR Phoenix jacket, gloves and my Arai RX7 helmet. I ended up with a fractured pelvis, banged up leg, and road rash about the size of a tennis ball on my ass. My wallet saved the other cheek. Three weeks later and I'm hobbling around. My jacket held up and was just dirty. The gloves have a few scrapes on the armored portions. The helmet was untouched, not even a scratch.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've been down twice.

First time was not bad. I went off the road into a field (my fault). Had all my gear on and was not going too fast. Just was bruised and sore.

Second time was another story. I was on my VF500 (in the mid-eighties) with 2 friends on 750s. I was having a good day (until the crash) and had passed one of my friends and had about 75 yards on him. I was trying to catch my other friend and was in a medium speed right-hand sweeper. I felt the bike start to slide, panic set in, did not look where I wanted to go, got on the brakes, stood the bike up, and went off the road at maybe 70. Thought "This ain't so bad" and then I hit a large pile of dirt at a construction site.

I was in full gear so had no real marks on me. Now the broke stuff...Bruises on my chin and head from the helmet, dislocated bone (needed operation) in my finger, chipped my hip bone (still no feeling in one area after 15 years), and cracked a vertibrae (yes, that hurt BAD)...Oh yeah, I also had balls the size of grape fruits from a disagreement with my gas tank when we parted. But, I didn't even notice any pain in my lower extremities because of the back pain. I was walking again in a month or two. Totaled my bike. Bought a GSXR the next year. I guess the hit on the head was harder than I thought...

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
REMEMBER -------

-----That in most test of good protective leathers with armour, they are NOT expected to stop bones from being broken when one hits a cage, tree, etc. Basically most tests are to see if the stitching holds up, if the armour is still in place & did the leathers protect one from skin abrasions at sensible speeds & often this is done at 30mph though some are done at 50mph. When one is wearing leathers, proper boots, good gloves, & proper helmets the aim is to protect the skin & possibly a serious scull fracture ---these are NOT suits of armour that can outdo the metal of a car, power-pole, etc.

Z

·
0 Posts
I have a small bump on the back of my head as the result of not wearing my helmet on my old Intruder. I have worn a helmet ever since, I was one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
193 Posts
BTW, back in the 80's when I had my 2 falls, there was no armor in suits. Just padding and double or triple leather.

My gear at the time was a Dianese 2 piece suit, Arai Freddie Spencer helmet (I rode Honda) and Bates custom boots. Another tidbit on how violent a fall can be (I still don't remember it all) is I had on glasses at the time. When I crashed, they were nowhere to be found, don't ask me how that happened????

·
Registered
391 Posts
My dirtbike days netted me bumps, bruises and strained muscles, despite only wearing a helmet and boots. My early street riding days were more of the same with the addition of gravel stuck into my flesh. Again my only gear was a helmet. More recently a nasty highside left me with a broken arm and so sore I could not get out of bed the next morning. During that incident I was wearing a helmet, Tourmaster cordura jacket with armour, kevlar reinforced gloves and boots. Even though I did a good bit of dirt surfing I received no pokes, rashes or cuts. I think I landed on my arm when I got tossed. At 260 lbs. the arm didn't stand a chance. Especially at about 40 mph.

·
Registered
582 Posts
my 2 cents

I'm thankful for not having wiped out on the street, but I must say that wiping out at 25mph even in the dirt can mess you up pretty good. I wiped out on mu dirtbike last year and pulled the muscle next to my tailbone. I landed flat on my back when I hit, and stretched ALL the muscles in my back and cracked a back rib.
I just found out about the cracked rib after I went to the chiropractor 10 months later. It was a month before I could stand up straight. I reinjured it again 2 weeks ago, no idea how. Usually it goes back into place after about a week, but not this time. Moral of the story is: Falling off sucks either way! Live and learn. ;-)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't have a bike yet and after reading this I will most likely still buy one someday. I fractured by elbow from skating on a flat wood surface, things happen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Waiting for my left clavicle to heal up now so I can get back on my bike!! Came around corner a 'little' hot I guess... cager was half in my lane so I swerved quick to the outside and when I tried to 'retake' the curve... it slowly slid out until the back wheel dropped off the pavement and away I went.... out into the ditch area parallel to the road... no pavement.

Had on HJC Symax, Joe Rocket Reactor Jacket and gloves. few scratches on helmet polished out... jacket cleaned up perfect along with gloves. Dirt ground in to hard to jeans I will have to toss them... won't come out. LOL

I was fortunate and learned (with a lot of help from people in these forums) many things from this. If I had not been that hot in the corner I could have made it even after dodging the cager.

I use to ride a gixxer in the late 80's like an idiot with shorts, helmet etc... you know the look. God looks after fools.... I was blessed and never crashed that one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was out on the dunes here in Oregon on a tricked out quad. I got on the thing and (thinking I know how to ride on the sand) took off into the grand open sandy world....

I got more and more bold with that thing until I could get it sliding sideways, pulling wheelies, jumping and doing all the crazy shit. And, one random time I slid that sucker around a corner.... an edge caught on a piece of wood. I stood the bike up (if that's even possible on a quad) but more like flipped the bike 10 times. I hit the sand face first and buried the helmet into the sand at 30-40mph.

I got up and looked around to make sure nobody saw it. EVERYONE saw it. I stumbled back to the bike, flipped it back upright, and rode with my head tucked in shame back to the camp. I cracked two ribs, tweaked my back/neck, and spent the rest of that day in the ER.

:barf:

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have a bad sprain of my ankle stil healing, and a sore elbow from about a month ago. Got a bad concussion out of it too and have no memory of the event at all, or of that particular day.

Also had some residual dizzyness that went away in about ten days. Lay on your back with your head on the pillow, then turn your head quickly to the right. WHOA!!!! It was like my eyeballs were on a rope starter and that launched 'em.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts