Sportbike World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as to how long a carbon can will last. I would think that a Titanium can will probably last longer just due to the carbon braking down. Am I off base here?

I've got a carbon Akro with about 4000 miles on it. I've got no problems with it, just curious. Is there any thing that I should be doing to take care of the can...ie preventive maintenance?

Thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't think it will, at least not in your life time.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have heard of carbons breaking down, but never seen it first hand. I would guess you are more likely to lowside and grind the cans down before you need to start worrying about the half-life of the carbon used to make the fibers.

·
Registered
346 Posts
wax the clearcoat periodically... but the carbon itself will last generall longer than your intentions... )ie,crash on it, replaced cuz you like those new ones, sell bike, etc)

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have seen fading of the black coloration on older CF cans, but never heard of any structural problems. Maybe they have improved their techniques since then.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put a carbon fiber MIG slip-on on my R1 about 75,000 miles ago. I've had to repack it twice, but the carbon fiber is perfectly intact. I doubt you are going to really have to worry about it too much.

Grady A. Dunham
Long Distance R1 Rider

1 - 7 of 7 Posts