1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ive been riding a month...and Im 18.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I started (in the dirt) at age seven. I bought my first street bike in 1982 when I was sixteen years old. So, on the street for over ninteen years and twenty seven years total.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Old fart here....

My grandfather bought Honda Mini-Trail 50s for my brother and I in about 1970, so I learned how to use my shifting foot (3 speed, no clutch.)

My first street-legal vehicle was a '69 Yamaha DT125 that I paid $300 for in 1974 when I got my license at 16. Electric start on a dirt bike was a novelty back then. Small air-cooled two-strokes are not great for long distance touring either, in case you were wondering. <grin>

My dad had a Honda 305 Scrambler he bought in the late '60s, and painted it blue (spray cans) and was always tweaking it to get it to go faster. He took the muffler off and installed these butterflies in the pipes that had a knob so you could open them or close them at will. It was LOUD with them open. Then he bought a brand new '71 Honda CB450 with DOHC. Whenever I was on it with him (I was 12 or so) he would at least once run it to redline in the first three or four gears. It was so fast!! (I thought that at the time.) Back then, 450s were not considered small, and Honda 750 Fours were blindingly fast monsters.

I was into cars and dating women after I sold my Yammy to my younger brother. In 1978 a friend of mine bought a Yamaha DOHC 500 twin, TX was it? Anyway, I got the bug and found a used 1976 CB550F, factory 4-into-1, orange. My friend had upgraded to a Yammy 650 twin which could eat my lunch. Those extra two cylinders didn't make up for more displacement.

Just before I got married in 1979 I bought '73 Moto Guzzi V7 Sport that someone had added a fairing, bags and a trunk to. We rode it to South Dakota once. Bad seat for touring. I eventually converted it back to stock, taking the junk off and reinstalling the the factory clip-ons. I sold that bike in '84 for $400. I wish I had it back.

Since 1982 I've had a '79 Honda CBX, an '82 Yamaha Seca 550, Turbo Seca 650 (totalled that one,) Yamaha 550 Vision, Yamaha XT350 dual-purpose, and now have an '81 Honda GoldWing and an '85 Honda VF1000R.

About 30 years of riding, all-told, and 26 on the street. All fun. All worth it. In fact, I'd rather die riding through a mountain canyon somewhere than in a nursing home wondering where the bathroom is and who all these people who call themselves "family" are. Not yet though. I've got a few good decades left.

·
Registered
455 Posts
11 Years riding all on streetbikes. I started at 16.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've been riding since last September. My 748 is the first bike I've ever owned. I'm getting better with my downshifts, but I need to work on my cornering.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Riding off and on for 12 years, started when I was 18.

Current ride is an '01 SV650s. Kind of got side tracked tinkering with cars for a while (still do).

First post!

·
Registered
94 Posts
been riding for 4 years, have had 3 bikes, going to get a 4th soon. oh yah, kinda sorta own a dual sport right now too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
been riding dirt (yz250) for about two months and I'm 20yrs old. Needed more power and to go faster. This cbr is my first street bike. had it for almost two weeks now...got the wheelie thing down...now I'm working on stoppies.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Another olde phart here. Started at age 10 on a Bridgestone 50 in the fields. First street legal bike was a DT-125 (like the other olde phart from Colorado :) )
That was 1974 and I've riden ever since. Had everything from BSA's to a Zundapp. (Someday I'll own an Ariel or AJS...maybe an Aprilia, so I can claim having owned everything from A to Z!)

R

·
0 Posts
YEARS RIDING

Hey Ya'll,

Got on my first bike (belonged to a friend) out in the desert (in 1961 it was desert) near San Bernadino. I went 'boon-dockin' with him. My father (an LA motocop) said these machines are too dangerous, as he did a wheelie down the block on his Police Harley. He was pretty good with that BIG IRON. Anyway, another friend's father OWNED ASCOT. Are ya'll old enough to remember that place in Gardena. JC Agajanian of Indy Car fame for a while, owned the track. One of his son's and I (JC JR) went to school together. We used to run into the track and bump start the flat-trackers for a quick spin around the mile oval until the security guys caught us. It was a blast then. I had the bug.

In 1968 I joined the military to see the world (read SEA) and got stationed on a little island called OKINAWA. WE owned it then, not the Japanese so the riding conditions were 'excellent.' I bought my first 'rice rocket,' the KAMI KAZE H1 (two-stroke, three cylinders and 500cc of pure SPPEEEED). Just don't try to corner with them. The second bike I had was the H2, (750cc) bigger, faster a bit more stable but DO NOT CORNER TOO MUCH. Then along came the downsized Z1 in Japan again. The Japanese had a restriction of size of motors. Seems the sportbike guys there like to go fast. Uhhh, we don't do that DO WE? Anyway, I'm currently on a ZX11 but looking for something faster (12 or busa).

It's a bit of a long answer for a short question but I've been riding for about 40 years. I love it and I really do feel the need for speed. It's a bit shocking to law enforcement guys when a bald, bespectacled, tank-slapping belly guy comes out from under his leathers and helmet. The shock usually brings a bit of a grin. From a grin I can squirm out of most tickets, unless it's a chippie. They are VERY PROFESSIONAL (read sour-pussed, humorless, amorphous masses of donut-fed dimwits).

My question, if I go too fast and screw up, like impact a solid object at 180, who suffers? Society...naaah, society don't GIVE a HOOT about an old coot. My wife....naaah, I got good insurance, she'd be rich. My daughter (who rides a ZUK600)...MAYBE a tear or two but she would press on. So why the feds and states 'protecting' US. They like to collect MORE TAXES.

Cheers ya'll from the RRADBIKER RIGHTISTS OF HILL COUNTRY TX

·
Registered
6 Posts
Over 30 years of riding.

I have been riding for well over 30 years. I started out on a Sears minibike and then went to a Yamaha 80. After that I started riding 125, 250 and 400 CZ's (These were made before most of you were born......LOL) I finished racing on a Rickman 250. Since then I started collecting vintage 1970's MX bikes and ride a Harley when I am not playing on my mini sidecar.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Is this thread really funkin old or what?
Oh well.
2 years of riding street. Bought a bike 2 years ago.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
dirt since 12, street since 16=20 years total

1 - 19 of 19 Posts