• after first year

Votes: 25 14.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
{forgot to put an option between first year and still going} say "after first year"

Hello All,

I'm curious, for new riders that just started riding, how long did it take for the first time you went down riding your new or new to you motorcycle? I'm going to start riding soon, so I just want to know what to expect. Like they say, there are two kinds of riders. I might as well go down a couple of times in msf class just to get it over with!

Don't consider dropping your motorcycle in the driveway or learing to ride in a parking lot, just normal riding.

Also please comment on the reason.
Unfamiliar with the bike or riding a bike.
Road hazard.
Pushing to hard on purpose.
Going faster than you should have without know it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Brand new back tire + right hand turn + sand and loose gravel = 3... I mean equals crash. Nothing I could've done on this one. Just one of those "OH SH*T!" accidents. Luckily it was all cosmetic.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Assuming you meant on the street because if we're counting dirt then my answer would be very different. On the street I was riding with my brother (I was 16y/o, he was 13y/o) and @ a fairly low speed into a left hander he shifted his weight and the bike slid out and dumped us both. I was so worried about hurting my little brother that I grabbed him and pulled him on top of me as we hit the ground. I knew if my brother got hurt my mom would kill me if this crash didn't :eek:
So I ended up with a bunch of road rash and the little twerp wasn't even scratched.
Mom still wanted to kill me though;) but I was suffiently injured that she said she would wait until I healed before she did anything to me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
About 2 seconds on 1st bike XL250 in the dealer parking lot, too much gas and abrupt clutch. (like you said this really dosen't count)

Still 1st bike, XL250. slipped in rain/ oil mix at intersection within first year.

2nd bike was Suzuki 450 within about 6 months a driver pulled out in front of me and I laid it down.

3rd new bike lasted about 50 minutes, VFR 700, bike fell over without me on it due to not parking on level ground.

No additional accidents in last 17 years.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You need a longer time period for the pole. My first *real* going down was last year, in my 3rd season. Front brake + wet tar/gravel + too slow letting go of brake = me sliding down the road after leaving a girl's house after the first date...

I quickly ripped the bike back onto it's wheels, and hauled ass out of there as she ran down the block to see if I was ok. Still haven't called her back, haha, bad memories deserve to stay buried.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I added the "after first year" option for you.

Oh, and mine was in my third year of riding. Coming home from work and coming up on a red light. I was going about 15-20 mph and a guy turned left in front of me. I was already decelerating and he turned late enough that all I could do was try to grab some more brake to scrub off as much speed as I could before hitting him. I was thrown over the car and was surprisingly injury free. Not a scratch on my clothes or helmet. I was wearing a backpack full of clothes from my morning ride in and I managed to land on it. My only "injury" was where my forearm was dragged along the edge of the windscreen as I went flying over the bike and car. The bike was totaled because the frame snapped right at a weld and I'm sure the forks were bent beyond repair. Had it just been fork damage I might still have the bike now, but with a busted frame that was all she wrote.

I do feel like I did everything I could to lessen the severity of the crash, but having gone over it in my head many many times I fail to see any way that the crash was avoidable. If it taught me anything it taught me the importance of gear and that no matter how visible you make yourself people still will not see you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
4 or 5 beer and the nerve to ask her. :thumb:

Din't go down until my 2nd year, learning rollin circle burnouts

·
Registered
26 Posts
About a month after I first started riding. I was in slow moving packed traffic, about 20 or 25 mph. I glanced away for a second, and at the very moment the car in front of the armored truck that was in front of me hit the brakes, so the truck hit the brakes, and I out of instinct hit the brakes and locked my front wheel, lowsiding myself. I was wearing kevlar reinforced full leathers and at the low speed I just brushed off the dirt when I got up from it. But this was in a small town and as it happens directly outside the ambulance garage so I had cops there in seconds, 3 cruisers I think, all flashing lights and making traffic worse. I only broke the mirror and turn signal, and didn't even put a scratch on my helmet. But I learned my lesson, DON'T TAILGATE. :2cents:

·
Registered
31 Posts
First two weeks of owning the dumb bike. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr Tried to turn shapely in to a parking spot in a parking garage that still had some of that lovely morning dew on the pavement. Surprisingly was able to host the bike back up on two wheels by myself in matter of seconds. I'm kind of glad I did it I no onger have to worry as much about getting the first scrach in it. :D

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In words of the oldest regular on this board, yet totally new at the time back in '45 right after WWII.

Went down within a matter of of a second & numerous times after. Problem was each time I pushed down to engage the foot clutch the bike lurched forward & fell on its side.

Thankfully you have a HAND clutch lever & the bike will be perfectly upright & not like my old HD leaned a bit to the right each time the clutch was engaged. For one foot had to be up & engaging the clutch while other on the ground to hold up the bike. Probably went down over a dozen times in the first 1.5 hrs especially when I was trying to ride it back in the bush.

Fortunately cameras were rare in those days & "video" was possibly a curse word in another language. LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've dropped my bike a bunch, like on gravel and whanot (my stubby little legs don't touch the ground as well as they should). My "coolest" fall was with new tires and a freshly tightened front brake (curtosy of my dad). Wasn't watching my dad in front (2 miles from home, tired) looked up to see him stopping and grabbed that front brake just a little too hard. Got some good road rash and a plate in my ankle but on the upside I got some sweet riding boots.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
aliceusher: When I read "---plate in my ankle---" I felt the pain right then & there. That is a prize OUCH!!!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
OUCH!!!!!

from another post....

http://sbw.sportbikes.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30466&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

……I had had my first bike for a couple of hour (yes hours!!!) and had been riding it the whole time. Bought it used from a friend, 68’ Yamaha Enduro, a dirt bike but street legal where I lived. I was finally riding home after about 5-6 hours cruising and was going a little fast but not out of my experience and pulled into my driveway at about 50mph (easy turn, 110ft of driveway) and hit the brakes… but there was no brakes!!! I had a very small amount of rear brake but there was nothing up front… So I started downshifting… I hit the fence at the rear of the drive way at an estimated 35-35mph, went over the bars and the fence without my superman cape and hit a tree. NO GEAR and a USED helmet! I was VERY, VERY lucky and only broke my arm in three places. My Mom watched the whole thing and STILL to this day (16 years later) gives me crap about riding.

After the accident, my father and I went thru the wreckage. I had blown the engine downshifting, the front brake lines had a very small, barely leaking hole just above the caliper and the rear brake was metal to metal. Upon talking to my friend that sold me the bike, he had noticed a little bit of oil on the floor of the shed it was in but knew it leaked a little bit. I went over to the shed a few days later and found it was not oil but brake fluid…
Story of my life.... :cool:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
somewhere around 6months.
at about 30mph the truck in front of me locks its brakes. something must happened in front. that was the last time i tailgated anyone, and i just passed throu a big puddle of water (i dont know where it came from on a very sunny day in the middle of summer)
well i grabed the front, only wet brakes dont do much, since the water lubricates. so i grabed more front brake, and then some more as i was getting closer to that bumper. thats around the time the brakes finally got hot enough to get some of the water off and i locked the front wheel. thats really all she wrote. back then i hadnt even the slightest idea what to do with a locked front.
i got out lightly with some road rash and bruising so i hurt for a few days.
tought me to keep plenty of distance in front of me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
its awesome when you crash going zero infront of a bunch of cars for everyone to see.

Just today i was pulling up to a red light, i was about stopped and i went to put both my feet down, left leg went down good, but my right pant let got caught on the foot peg, an these pants were pretty tight.....oh well....., the bike started leaning right and by the time i got my foot off it was too far over an i couldnt save the 545lb bike from hitin the ground. All that broke was the turn signal housing cracked an the bulb broke. Glued her up an she's as good as new now.

Note to self: Get tighter pants and boots

·
Registered
966 Posts
2 Years. Riding on unfimilar roads. Not paying attention to my surroundings and just soaking up the sights. Crested top of hill, traffic light at bottom of hill. traffic backed up to top of hill. Came over top of hill and saw cars backed up and Survival instincts kicked in. Locked up rear brake, swirved and back of bike hit car then swirved the otherway and lowsided and bailed. Rolled on pavement for a while and then shot up. Only injuries were pride and some rash on hands and legs. Leather jacket bunjied to back of bike, what an ass. Chin guard on helmet pretty beat up.
Moral of story. Pay attention to where the hell you are and wear the best gear that you can afford. And do not lock up the rear brake. front brake is 90% of your stopping power, Use it.

Also, to add insult to injurie. Accident happend on way to concert at new venue. Went to show and when came out bike had sank in new black to and toppled over, taking several bikes with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It was my second year of riding, I was about 16. I was on a little Enduro, and saw a huge semi truck coming up fast behind me on a one lane road. The turn to my street was coming up, but this guy was right on top of me, so I had to decide to keep going and do a u-turn, or take the turn at high rates of speed. I was used to these types of turns anyways, so I decided to take it. I had forgotten though, that the mouth of the road was littered with gravel. I slid for about 15 feet, and ended up with some nice rash.

·
Registered
62 Posts
3 months after I got my first bike (98 FZR600), I went to Sportbike Rally and was riding on Hwy 141 with a few others. A conversion van pulled out of a cottage complex less than 1/8 mile in front of me around a sweeper, I stood the bike up and braked. Then the front end hit the patch of gravel on the shoulder and I went down. I hurt my left shoulder for 2 months (can't pull my left hand up to reach my right shoulder or pull my hand back), but I kept riding right after.

I laid my R6 down 2 weeks after I got it. I was riding at Deals Gap (the corner was Grace's Esses), and the rear got off the ground when I was dragging my knee so I went down. Both me and my bike hit a large boulder but I was not hurt at all. I'm still not completely sure what caused the lowside, it was definitely not slippery surface or dragging hard part. I think it might have been too much rebound damping on the rear shock causing it not to stay too planted.

Then a few weeks ago I highsided on the R6 when I hit a patch of sand that I totally didn't see. I was going pretty slow because I have never been on that road before, but that didn't stop it from happening. The front wheel made it through without a problem, but the rear stepped out sideways then caught the pavement again and tossed me off the bike. I got some rash on my left elbow under my suit, busted the helmet pretty good, and got some dizzliness afterwards, but I kept riding right after.

Maybe you think I crash a lot, but I guess that happens when I ride about 10x more than a lot of others. I have over 6000 on the R6 since I got it 2/27 this year, and most of the time I couldn't ride because it was snowing or raining here.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts