Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I toasted my bike, I had been working on wheelies. I made sure I was in a secluded area, or at the local dragstrip, but mostly old country roads with no drives. The best one was about 15min. away from my house. They had just resurfaced the road, and it was buttery smooth. Anyway, that's where I practiced, and eventually mastered, the wheelie.

My wheelies and how I do them:

First off, I hate clutching the bike up. The F4 has the balls to lift it without any clutch, so I used 'em. Anyway, after my carbs were reworked, I had most of my power above 6,500 (as opposed to around 5,500 stock). I would simply take the bike to 6500-7000, hold it there and then whack that mofo open WIDE.

Right before I hit the rev-limiter (14,300 rpm) I would hit 2nd. I am the only person I know who actually uses the clutch while wheelie-shifting. It's smoother, and I was able to easily maintain my wheelies while shifting.

Anyway, the day I mastered my wheelies was perfect. Nice and bright outside. No traffic as usual, and nothing but hot blacktop just waiting to grip my fresh Dunlop(s). I ran up and down the road a few times to ensure proper tire temp. Then I went to the end, turned around, and started the process. I pulled my bike up HIGH, shifted 2nd, and literally held it there until I saw a car coming the other way. Approx 45 sec. @65-75mph. It was the greatest feeling ever. After that, I was pretty much able to do a wheelie for as long as the road/traffic/little animals would let me.

Wheelies are fun and give a GREAT rush. When done in the right place they can be fairly safe too, if you know what you are doing anyway. I must say though, if I had to choose between a good run thru some tight twisties and a road begging for wheelies, I'd go with the twisties. That's where the boys (and girls) are seperated from the men (and women ;))

Ain't nobody gonna tell ME an F4 don't have the balls to ride mile+ long wheelies. It's the rider who lacks balls (or the female equivalent).

------------------
~Nick
2000 CBR600F4 -
Lost to the Blacktop God. 4,699 miles in under 3 mos. $8,300 worth of damage to my one and only baby. On the brighter side: Can you say 929rr???

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well as for how long I have no idea, I don't ride them THAT long. I do shift on one wheel and I use the clutch. I don't know if it's due to my low gearing or just that my bike sucks, but first to second without a clutch just sucks, feels like someone hit's the back of the bike with a car.
I don't use the clutch to get it up unless I'm in 2ed, cuz god knows throttle just won't do it in 2ed on an FZR (that's the 600,I would guess the 1000 will do it no prob)
Rock on
Ride on

Fizzman

------------------
Mu toys,

84VF500F (RIP)
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RX
Yamaha acoustic
JB player acoustic

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fizzman:

I don't use the clutch to get it up unless I'm in 2ed, cuz god knows throttle just won't do it in 2ed on an FZR (that's the 600,I would guess the 1000 will do it no prob)
Rock on
Ride on

Fizzman

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice! :D your doing something right if you can
get the FZR to do all that. Yeah the R1 will
lift the front in 3rd with just throttle. But
that's alot easier than what you are doing bro! :) Nice.

------------------
I've got what it takes to take what you've got.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I know this thread is going to start the whole
squid issue ROLLING, but hey what do I care.

All the wheelie heads out there... How long
can you ride them? On good days I usually
run out of road before I run out of wheelie.
I realize that some bikes (most of the ones
I've owned) are not conducive to buffoonery
but for those of you who do them, what kind
of bike are you riding them on and how long
can you keep it up? :D

Also, do you shift gears? Clutch it up or
just use the throttle?? Let us hear about it!

Chris :)

------------------

·
Registered
503 Posts
i still have ta clutch em up.. but im on a geared (14/44) only 97 gsxr600 in colorado.

i am finally at a point where i need to shift.. but im so concerned about the balance point & not crashing that i still come down in 1st w/the tach bouncing off the limiter.

ill get their though.

------------------

P

·
0 Posts
From about right here...........to about......................right here.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

[This message has been edited by Pete (edited July 31, 2000).]

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
From about right here...........to about......................right here.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete :( ouch! Man, you are breaking my heart.
I'm so sorry bro... Soon Enough man!!

Peace.

------------------

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pete, I find that somewhat odd, my buddy let's me take his superhawk all the time when he's at work (my bike is down for a bit). Every little bump in the road is reason enough to goose it and put some air between the fron wheel and the road.
I don't even think I could own a twin for that reason(get into too much trouble), or I just might buy a twin for that reason( too much fun). :D

Rock on
Ride on

Fizzman

------------------
Mu toys,

84VF500F (RIP)
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RX
Yamaha acoustic
JB player acoustic

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well, I have never check the distance, but I can go for awhile. I can (sometimes) change lanes to go around a car,bike, what ever and return to my orig. lane.

I will lift it in 1st. I also use just the gas to lift it but I do use the clutch EVERY time I shift (wheelie or not). I can go 1-2-3-4 an my F4. I don't like to go any faster then 4th on one wheel. It gets alittle uneasy at that speed.

I learned on my F3 but I think the F4 does them alittle better. :)

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

·
Registered
328 Posts
From Turn 4, all the way down the short chute to Turn 5 at Firebird...

------------------
A fool and his money are soon partying.

P

·
0 Posts
Guess I should've put a couple smilie faces in with my post to let you all know that I was joking. Quite honestly, though, I have no desire to become a wheelie meister, even though my new bike is well capable.

------------------
Pete
"Ultimately, most problems can be solved by applying a large brick to the correct skull. Difficulties arise when you don't have a brick or can't find the the right skull. The Devil is always in the details."

·
Registered
37 Posts
Never really measured distance, but I can keep it up :) for a while. Learned to ride them on the street on my ZX9R admittadly after some- uh-hum....hard landings with the front end. Now I can get first, second, and third with the bird, but once you're into third, thats too fast for me on one wheel. I'd rather power the front end up, but sometimes I'll clutch it for a quick trip up.I always use the clutch to shift as well.

------------------

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like I should really be posting this after I've been preaching to the newbies about not being a squid- but what the hell. (not to mention my bike's just freshly broken in)

Yes- I know- my Kawi's not exactly what you'd picture wheelie-ing (sp?) down the street. For some reason though- riding this "standard" has brought out the hooligan in me. No, really- something about this bike just makes me want to act like a damn criminal. (maybe 'cause I know it can't really get me in THAT much trouble... :D) Anyways, I'm riding home from work with my friend on his ZRX the other day and he's pulling wheelies all over the place. I usually just let him lead basically because he's an incredible rider- and I only like to embarass myself every so often. We rolled up to a light on a semi-rural road- just the two of us. When the green flashed I just wound it hard in first- really hard- snapped the throttle closed and whacked it back open. I gave the bars a big tug and there it was. Maybe only two feet or so off the road- but damn was I surprised. Kinda scary- too, but it landed fine. And it's not like I go out looking to pull wheelies all day- I just thought- screw it I'll try it.

When I saw my friend at work the next day- he was just shaking his head and smiling. I told him I wasn't planning on making a habit of that- he just smiled wider and said "yeah, right". I'll really try not to anyways...really.

I blame all of you, btw. ;)

'cane

------------------

·
Registered
288 Posts
The longest I've gone is about one mile - and just in case someone thinks I'm BSin' them, it was on a straight two lane road in the middle of New Jersey - I believe it's called the Blackhorse Pike. It was in the middle of the day, plenty of light, no cars, no COPS, flat road - the perfect conditions for a nice one-wheel cruise.

------------------
Hey officer, wanna race????

·
Registered
741 Posts
I can do them now shifting into second but not into third, i usually let them down in second... I'm still learnin them!! I do use the clutch... I haven't quite got the rpm point for my zx-6r to do the snap throttle thing! I've done them that way, but can get it way higher if I use the clutch, and I don't use the clutch either for 1st to 2nd shifts in a wheelie! I'll get it if it ever stops raining here in "sunny" south FL... :rolleyes:

------------------
Joe
1999 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R, 4,100 miles, Vance and Hines Titanium slip on, synthetics, more to come soon!!!

1988 Mustang GT ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
hmm... wheelies~!.. :B ive had my giGG for about two months.. and am damn fass learner.. the other day i came off a light, and power wheelied (no clutch) and didn't hit it well, so i put it down. and hit it agian.. came up.. and when i came down.. oh man~!, i lQQked over.. and saw a cop pulled over wit someone already, he stepped back as i approached and i thought i was F*&ked, but he juss put his hands up alittle like "what are you doing?"... i cruised by him, clutch in, so as not to drown him out wit exhaust notes either.. and as soon as i rounded the corner, got on it and booked outta there.. didnt' want him coming after me..

back to the subject.. i power wheelie @ about 5G's rpm, or 6.. and it comes roight up, i have been able to ride them out til redline, on one wheel up pretty high, but haven't been able to get into second, and once i got enought nerve to click up, and i guess the revs fell off too far, and the gears clicked and it sat in neutral and stayed there~!.. so the wheelie came down~!.. as for wheelies though, they are fun as hell but seem to get me closer to trouble as i have explained.. :B;B;B;P, and the exhaust doesn't help since they can hear me coming..

nowoff the subject again, i finally got up an endo (stoppie) today.. about ten inches a friend told me. hehe..first one higher then like four inches.. :D.. thass cool, cuz it doesnt involve noises.. hehe..

now i also got two questions, i heard a guy broke his back from riding a wheelie too long on the freeway, and the engine seized, locked the rear and sent him a crashin at 100mph, is this possible that your motor doesn't get lubed.. :B enough when riding up on one wheel that long?.. and second questioon is, does landing hard, wheelies and endos do bad dammage to your shocks?.. can't it blow out the seals?.. any info would help.. thanks guys~! this forum is the shiZZnit~!.. :B:B

jos F theDRagon

------------------
where da girls at?

P

·
0 Posts
Gixxerboy, to answer your last three questions in order: Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Hurricane is a squid, Hurricane is a squid!! :D I don't know if this is correct or not, but it seems to me that if you have a more upright-seated bike, you'd be more tempted to wanna pull wheelies. Your body is gonna already be closer to the balance plane, whereas on a more radical sportbike, you have to move your bike *and* body through a longer arc up to the balance point. I dunno, makes sense to me.

------------------
Pete

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Aril, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pete:
I don't know if this is correct or not, but it seems to me that if you have a more upright-seated bike, you'd be more tempted to wanna pull wheelies. Your body is gonna already be closer to the balance plane, whereas on a more radical sportbike, you have to move your bike *and* body through a longer arc up to the balance point
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes Pete, you have permission to do wheelies on the VTR. :rolleyes: Geez gotta tell you everything. :p

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

1 - 19 of 19 Posts