Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a Ninja 250 around my area (Lenexa Kansas), but there just aren't any. Kansas doesnt really have much of a selection for any type sportscar or motorcycle. I might have to buy out of state (Missouri, Oklahoma, Iowa, Ohio) to get the right bike. I dont have street experience, but I am comfortable on dirtbikes and I will take MSF. Would it be a good idea to try and fly to the bike and ride it home 200 or so miles? I would take it easy and take frequent breaks so i dont get bored or tired, and it would be 90% highway. Is this dangerous for a new rider? If I have to I could find a friend that rides and drive him with me and let him ride it home.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd have someone experienced ride it home for you. You don't want to wreck your bike the first day you get it. That would suck.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Mate, you'll be sore as sh*t riding that far for your "first" ride, but it's not an impossible ask.

That being said, I suggest you find a friend with a pick-up or a trailer and make life easy for yourself.

Remember, if you're ever not comfortable about getting on your bike, that's your mind telling you to take the bus.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I still vote for the u drive ur car and ur buddy with experience drives it homes unless you have a truck.. Just be careful on strapping it..

I would suggest a little larger bike to start out with like an honda cbr f2 or f3..

A older 600 will let you grow into it.. Just be careful on what you buy used.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
docta_freeze said:
...I would suggest a little larger bike to start out with like an honda cbr f2 or f3...
I disagree. The 250 is a great bike that can last a few years as a starter.

IMO, smaller bikes make better beginner bikes as you need to learn how to extract every bit out of them.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Hell 200 miles is only 4 HRS at 50 MPH. I rode a damn 90 10 times that far. Go get the damn thing and ride it home! "rant"

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
cookeetree said:
Yeah, but remember he's a new rider. Better to be safe IMO. :2cents:

Yea I know. :( If it was me I'd make an adventure out of it and take the back way home. Guess I grew up a little different. You are now REQUIRED to wear a bicycle helmet here in the Springs. I'm just waiting untill a jock strap will be required for crossing the street. We are raising a bunch of whimps. Safety this safety that.

"nother rant"

P.S. He said he had some dirt experience.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I agree with compulsory bicycle helmets.

They've been law here for years. Should be for skaters and scooters too IMO. Too many head injuries from simple falls, with several deaths.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
cookeetree said:
I agree with compulsory bicycle helmets.

They've been law here for years. Should be for skaters and scooters too IMO. Too many head injuries from simple falls, with several deaths.

:crying:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Let those that ride decide. Excluding children and really old people. The sound of freedom is dimishining rapidly. GO GET THE DAMN BIKE AND RIDE IT HOME!!!!!!! :2cents:

By the way.... I wear gear when I ride.

·
Registered
515 Posts
i'm not sure u'd want ur first ride to be 200 miles and by urself. riding it back would be pretty good experience though, so if u've got a friend who's willin' to meet u there (or ride 2 up w/ u) and ride back alongside u, that would prolly make a great trip. or if your friend doesn't mind driving u down and driving back up with you riding that'd work as well. my last suggestion would be pickin' it up and strappin' it down in a truck.

oh... if you're buyin' from a dealer, u might wanna ask if they'll deliver it to you, prolly cost u a lil extra but then u wouldn't have to worry about bringing it back home. but if u decide to ride it back make sure u wear your gear and, most importantly, enjoy the freedom of riding on two wheels!!! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm still not really sure, half of you say don't and half say go for it. I'd like to ride it back if it would be safe because that sounds like a really fun road trip. Of course, one might pop up locally and I wont have to ride real far. If I end up going out of state to get a bike, maybe I'll take a bus up to it, buy it, ride it around the town for a night to see if I'm comfortable with it, and then find a motel for the night and head back home in the morning if I feel up to it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
cookeetree said:
I disagree. The 250 is a great bike that can last a few years as a starter.

IMO, smaller bikes make better beginner bikes as you need to learn how to extract every bit out of them.
All depends on the size of the wallet..

All a matter of opinion

just my :2cents:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
docta_freeze said:
All depends on the size of the wallet...
Sorry, but I don't see how the size one's wallet has anything to do with whether a 250 or 600 is a better learner bike.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You must remember cookee that some of these chaps, with a year or three of experience, feel a 600cc sportbike is THE bike for a newbie. We both think differently.

I honesy feel his best would be to pay someone, with a truck to take him to the shop, load it on the truck, strap it down & get it back home.

Then he can sit on it, look it over, feel the bike out along with some small runs. The 200 plus miles is a bit to much for someone new to riding & I really do not know if it is new or possibly 'used' & if the latter then possibly the bike might(?) give some trouble along the way to actually fail on the way to where it can no longer be run till corrected with the correct part(s).

The latter would be far, far more costly then what I suggested at the second last paragraph for AGAIN it will have to be trucked only the tie-up of getting the help & such will be a bit of a nightmare.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Keep in mind that you live in KS. I too live here, and let me tell you one thing you are not thinking about. WIND. It can get really windy here, especially on the HWs. I hate riding in wind. You go behind a shelter belt blocking out the wind and you will get a suction pulling the other way. It might be a little scary for a newbie. It took me time to get use to it. I would suggest that you trailer it, or have someone else ride it. If you do ride it, make sure you take the MSF first.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you are total newb to street riding I recommend an experienced friend or a truck/trailer to bring the bike back.

I had recently taken a 600+ trip on SV650S that I bought in Colorado and brought back to Kansas. It was no joyride by any standard. My ass hurt for the next week and my right wrist would cramp if I grabbed anything resembling a motorcycle handlebar. That was a 12 hour trip from start to finish with breaks (one of them courtesy of Colorado Highway Patrol for cruising in the left lane). I've been riding for two years here in Kansas and have gotten used to dealing with the winds on the highway. I remember in the beginning getting a good adrenaline rush from those side gusts of 15-20mph. Psudy made an excellent point by mentioning the crosswinds.

My point is, I would not have ventured to take a day trip on a new bike without some experience gained on more familiar roads. Good luck with your search. Are you set on a sportbike for starters? I have a Savage 650 cruiser for sale, excellent starter bike. That's what my wife learned on before switching to SV650S.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts