Sportbike World banner

How Fast...?

7K views 32 replies 23 participants last post by  bass boss 
#1 ·
I don't really know if this is a stunting question, but I figured the guys into stunts have got to have had their bikes up to some high speeds. I have gotten my bike up to 155mph and decided to play it safe and not go any faster even though I had driven that road many times and had on all of my gear.
How fast have any of you gotten your bikes?
Anybody crazy enough to hit 200mph?

#3 ·
wrecker55 said:
I don't really know if this is a stunting question, but I figured the guys into stunts have got to have had their bikes up to some high speeds. I have gotten my bike up to 155mph and decided to play it safe and not go any faster even though I had driven that road many times and had on all of my gear.
How fast have any of you gotten your bikes?
Anybody crazy enough to hit 200mph?
Being crazy enough to do 200mph, and actually doing it are 2 different things. There aren`t many bikes that will do 200mph. High speed runs aren`t really "stunts" either, but if you like high speed hooliganism, check out Ghostrider , 200+mph wheelies, 500hp turbo busa, 45 mile runs in 15 minutes on public roads... you get the idea.

#8 ·
Ninja250F18 said:
The only bike that I know of that will do 200mph and is streat legal is the Y2K
Are we talking bone stock?
I know at Daytona they were running 1000RR's at 193mph, stock. Figure a few choice mods and you could break 200. HRC kit it (215HP) and its for sure.
The Busa, 12R and new crop of liter bikes have the Horsepower to hit 200 but they're limited by the control system and the gearing.

#10 ·
jab said:
164 on the speedo maxed on my 01 r6. That was before my new engine though so we shall see if I gained any top speed shortly. BTW most stunters are lucky if there bikes will hit triple digits, due to gearing :mad:
-1 +10 isn't too good for those high speed runs you have a point. :D My R6 on the other hand read 172 on the clock with stock gearing topped out in 6th though, which was probably only like what 160ish in real life?

#11 ·
FAST!

i have had my gsxr 750 about 170-175, full yoshi duplex. exhaust, k&n, and remap.

i believe it will go faster, but finding a non crowded stretch of road is my only hold up.

was going about 160 on non crowded 6 lane devided highway, and i swear to god the car in right lane switched to my lane when i was about 75 yrds from her, so now i will wait till the right oppurtunity to open it up again!

#12 ·
I had my GSXR1000 at 187 on the speedo, maybe a better tuck I could hit 190. All I've got is a slip on yoshi pipe. My neighbor's 01' or 02' Busa was in front of me when I was doing 180... and he was pulling on me. He also had his chick on the back. Something about the Busa in that year makes it stand out. It didn't have limiters or anything like that in that year. Something along those lines..he said that's why he bought that year, cause it was the fastest one. I think they got recalled or pulled off the line too, or maybe that's just a rumor I heard. He could easily see 200 I'm sure. It's guaranteed now with the power commander and full exhaust he has.

#13 ·
Champ7FL said:
I had my GSXR1000 at 187 on the speedo, maybe a better tuck I could hit 190. All I've got is a slip on yoshi pipe. My neighbor's 01' or 02' Busa was in front of me when I was doing 180... and he was pulling on me. He also had his chick on the back. Something about the Busa in that year makes it stand out. It didn't have limiters or anything like that in that year. Something along those lines..he said that's why he bought that year, cause it was the fastest one. I think they got recalled or pulled off the line too, or maybe that's just a rumor I heard. He could easily see 200 I'm sure. It's guaranteed now with the power commander and full exhaust he has.
i have to call BS on this one. todays bikes are topping out around 175. give or take a mph. your speedo must of been way off or that you had the govern taken away

also a 99 busa hit 202, it didnt have the govner

#14 ·
Call it BS, but that's what my speedo was showing. The sales rep who sold me the bike, I also ride with him, has the same bike as mine..same color even...and he hit 186. My bike sees 180 on a regular though. Must be a speedo problem with the black and grey 04' GSXR1000.
I'm not sure about the info on the Busa, just hear-say from my neighbor. I'd like to know more info about that though. Early 2000s Busa with a higher governor or no governor at all from the factory??

#15 ·
Champ7FL said:
Call it BS, but that's what my speedo was showing. The sales rep who sold me the bike, I also ride with him, has the same bike as mine..same color even...and he hit 186. My bike sees 180 on a regular though. Must be a speedo problem with the black and grey 04' GSXR1000.
I'm not sure about the info on the Busa, just hear-say from my neighbor. I'd like to know more info about that though. Early 2000s Busa with a higher governor or no governor at all from the factory??
im looking at an article saying 04 gixxer 172.98mph took 33.90 seconds and 2082.947 metres. so dont believe your speedo. when shit goes wrong at that speed may everything that is so good help you live, cause your gonna need it

#16 ·
It's definately a scary ride at anything past 140. On those specs, was that clocked with a radar gun, or is that what the speedo read (the 172)? I know the speedos are off at high speeds on any bike... but I didn't think by 15mph give or take. That 172 must be with radar. Then my 187 is actually 172. If it's 172 on the speedo then something is seriously wrong...cause I know of 2 bikes that read into the upper 180s.

#17 ·
Champ7FL said:
It's definately a scary ride at anything past 140. On those specs, was that clocked with a radar gun, or is that what the speedo read (the 172)? I know the speedos are off at high speeds on any bike... but I didn't think by 15mph give or take. That 172 must be with radar. Then my 187 is actually 172. If it's 172 on the speedo then something is seriously wrong...cause I know of 2 bikes that read into the upper 180s.
radar or lazar was used. if you look at superbike mag june edtition. it has all hte top speeds for all the new litres. the R1 and zx10 are 175 and teh RR is 174.

personally i wouldnt be bragging on the internet how fast you went. knowing that is almost 3.5 times the legal limit.

oh on a different note while the other bikes read high the new RR reads low. up to 27% low. i had mine recalled because 4 out of 10 speedos are reading off.

#18 · (Edited)
Back to the Busa... The 1999 model went 196 (radar). Later regulations demanded a gov to limit top speed, but some of the 196mph ones got out. This site has some good specs and info on it.

http://www.motorbyte.com/mmm/pages/reviews/review40.htm

On another site they said the 99' Busa ran 220 on the speedo and an actual 196mph. After 2001 all bikes had a 186mph limit on them. I'm not sure if the gov kicks in at 186 on the speedo or actual, cause 2 gsxr1ks top out at 186 on the speedo (the limit), mine 1mph more... and other people on different bikes hit 190+ on speedo.. but actual speeds are less than 186 in all cases. You'd think the electronically controlled governor would limit the speed on the electronic speedo, not seeing more than the 186, so why are people seeing 190 unless they've got a PC or something. I can't find any consistent reports on top speeds for any of the new 1000 series bike. Some claim actual speeds of low 170s, some say upper 170s, others say 186 and the only reason it stopped there was cause of the gov. Either way it's fast no matter how you look at it. I saw 187, not sure of the actual speed but it's somewhere around the mid 170s.

#19 ·
My 03 954RR has read 182 on the speedo a few times and still had juice left. The bike is completly stock with the exception of a few cosmetic mods. Is there anyone else out there with a 54 that has read higher top speeds??

#20 ·
top speed thus far

The fastest that I have pushed my bike is 146 mph. That was about 9,000 rpm in 6th gear. It red lines at 12,000. I know that my bike will easily go faster and I am sure that it will. But then again...what's the point? (Personal acheivement and thats all the matters)

#21 ·
top speed thus far

The fastest that I have pushed my bike is 146 mph. That was about 9,000 rpm in 6th gear. It red lines at 12,000. I know that my bike will easily go faster and I am sure that it will. But then again...what's the point? (Personal acheivement and thats all the matters)

#23 ·
Kestrel said:
Wow.. That ghostrider stuff is crazy. Talk about hauling on the freeway =0

No room for error either. Final Ride? - no wonder :) I wouldn't do that for too long either.
Ironically enough, Final Ride was his first video. Hes now on his 3rd, Goes Wild in Europe. He beats the black princes` record around the Paris ring, and beats his 15 minute (45 miles) Uppsala run time.:eek:

#24 ·
I have a 02 CBR984RR. I took mine to 160 on the speedo and I am a 300+lb rider and my bike still had more room to go. BTW it is bone stock. These liter bikes are insanely fast, I do not know how you little men keep the front tire in contact with the pavement at all. I can lean on it and it still wants to look up in the 8k+ range of the RPM band at full throttle.

#25 ·
The speedometers are way off. There are a couple of ways to get an accurate reading:

1. Calibrate the speedometer with a Yellow Box or similar product
2. Use a GPS.

I have a GPS mounted on my bike. I have a '99 and an '01 Busa parked in my garage along with my slow-as-a-glacier Honda Shadow. The info that I have read about the '99 Busa (with no speed limiter) is that it will hit 197-199 stock. I guess it depends on which way the wind blows. I have never been courageous (or crazy) enough to try it. There are a few riders on the Hayabusa.org board who claim to have been over 200. Their bikes are not likely stock. Some turbo Busa riders on the forum have claimed to have ridden well past 200. They put a limiter on the Busa in '01. It will still do 186 and you can bypass the limiter with a TRE. Also, check out this site:

http://www.200mph.org.uk/index.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.