Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a ninja ex500 as my first bike? or should I be asking will I out grow this bike?

Your opinions mean alot to me thx in advanced.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have a 600 as my first bike, and got used to the speed and acceleration within 2 months... I don't think I'll ever "outgrow" it though. If ever I should happen to master a 600, then I'll move up... so basically, I think I'm going to stick with a 600 for the rest of the time I ride. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Are you a new rider? If so, the EX may be good for you. You probably will desire more handling from a bigger bike and the extra power is always nice as your riding skill improves.

I rode an EX for a couple of years and had a lot of fun on it, most imprtantly, I learned alot on it. It's limitations can benefit you by teaching you to improve your skills.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
VYPIR: Has put it down very nicely & I back him. In some cases other find the 500 is really all they need. No matter what the 500 is a good learning bike not only in the shills or riding & staying alive, but also some of the mechanical matters of where "I have this noise at the side" & we latch it down to the rear chain being totally dry & extremely loose, to possibly the gearbox sprocket was coming loose. Just so many others like most do not realize the small batteries in the bikes have to be serviced & not abused in use.

It can go on & on. Better to make the errors on your first bike, being a 500 twin, rather then a more costly 600---not to mention the beginners spills & with the cost of egg-like plastic costing a mint better to not be with a bike not usable as you are saving up for said products.

·
Registered
610 Posts
i wil have to disagree.. I had a yzf600r as my first bike and i put frame sliders on it and learned from there. I would have to argue and say a 600 for a first bike is a great learning too as long as you have patience

·
Registered
107 Posts
Depends on your size and confidence. I really feel you could start on a hayabusa if you were deathly afraid of it. Once you get comfortable with a bike you then may start doing the stupid stuff.

Anyway, I really think you should consider a ZZR600. Sit on it, see how it feels. if it feels to big then get a EX500. Ex500 is a pretty nice bike, but most people will always want more.

Oh yeah and GET FRAME SLIDERS! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
From most of the riders I ride with...YES you will out grow it quick, like two months after you have it. I started off with a CBR 929RR and I'm loving it. If you decide to go bigger than a 600, just work on your throttle response and you'll be fine. Good luck w/ your decision.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know where are you guys are from, but I am from ontario, canada and with these rates and me only being 22 they won't insure me with something classed as a supersport.

I would get one if I could afford the insurance. For the 2003 ninja EX50 they want 1400$ CDN and thats with liability only. If I was to get like a r6 I would have to get full coverage cuz I wouldn't want to lose out of the money I would put in the bike and insurance would be like 4k+.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an EX500 and I love it. Instead of getting a bigger bike as my second bike, I think I might just buy a NEW Ex500, as opposed to the 91 that I have now. The Handling of the new bike will be much better, smoother etc. The other nice thing about the EX500 is that parts are available cheap on Ebay because its so popular a bike.

Gas prices are going no where but up, the ex500 gets about 50mpg, and to me that's another good selling point of the bike. There's plenty of power to get me in lots of trouble quick, so I'm of the school of thought that 500 is all I need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya,

Some of the reason I am getting a 500 is because gas milage is great, cheapest on insurance, great bike for cruzin or taking to track days, and I only hear good things about these bikes.

I have seen some ads for the 500 in the motorcycle trader here in ontario for 2003 models with less then 500km on them going for 5,500 CDN. These bikes are practically brand new and I can't wait till I get one.

Starting my new job at the bank on july 22nd and At that point I will be debt free. Going to get all my gear this season do my m1 then take m2 course. And save to buy my bike next season or maybe even later this season.

I don't plan on going cheap on gear or the bike I wanna get the newest ninja 500 I can find.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Sounds like you have a good plan, stick with it.

For those that are saying the EX5 will get boring. When one starts learning how to really ride the bike, it gets real fun. The EX is very forgiving in alot of situations (not that you should always push it). I learned alot on that bike and built the riding skills. You have to learn technique to pass people on their 750 when you aint got power.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't see myself getting tired of it simply because I started off being a car guy only to find that after dumping 5k into a car to make it go a little faster was very very bad way to spend money. I couldn't even hit the 13 sec quarter mile time with my 300zx. So I am done with that now that a bike like the 500 can run 12's in a 1/4 mile I don't think I will be getting board of it like most say. But I also will most likely get another bike once I have mastered the 500. My main goal now is to get all my shit together so I can start riding ASAP. Hopefully this season.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The bike they are referring to is the vertical twin 500cc. Both being produced by Suzuki & Kawasaki. No one now makes a 500 four that is sold in North America. True when Honda first came out with the CB750 four the next year they came out with the CB500, later 550, 350 & then 400 while some of the other Jpn makers also produced a few 500cc fours only to let them die off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts