Sportbike World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was looking at new bike to buy I really wanted to get and R1 bad. I mean really bad. R1's are the best looking bikes on the market I think. A hell of allot of power and they stick in the twistys like glue to paper. However I couldnt because when I sat on one I knew there was not any way I could take a road trip with one. My knees would hurt and my legs would cramp. I am 6'2 after all. So anyway my question to you guys is. Do you take your R1's on road trips often? Whats the average distance you guys ride on a weekend?

------------------
The
AlphaWolf

[This message has been edited by AlphaWolf (edited March 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
My buddy has taken his from PA to NH, CT, and NYC and does so pretty regualarly. He totalled his first 150 miles away from home (on a day trip). He loves his.

Check out http://yzf-r1-forum.com

------------------
Tony

94 CBR600F2 pur/blk/yel--streetbike
88 FZR400 primer/duct tape/yellow Krylon--trackbike
e-mail:[email protected]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Check it out......I'm 6'2" and I seem to dwarf the bike when I'm on it, but I guess that is the way technology goes due to the bikes being lighter/smaller/more powerful. Needless to say, I couldn't stand the stock seat for me or the spouse, so the first investment I did was get the Corbin seats. Yes, they are spendy but my ass thanks me everytime I sit on my R1. My next investment will be the Graves or Attack adjustable rear sets to uncramp my legs, they do get cramped when I've been on the bike for a long time. I might possibly look into a different set of clip-on's but I don't get as much pain in the wrists as everyone else complains about, might be due to the seat. Wouldn't trade my R1 for anything right now. Done too much to it and it's just the way I want it at this time.

------------------
James
1999 Blue R1

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
James, my friend's R1 has Over rear-sets, they fix that EX500 riding position from the waste down, but they wouldn't be what most people would call comfy. Except of course for people like me who think the 916 has the best seat and late 80s GSX-Rs have the best seating position

------------------
Tony

94 CBR600F2 pur/blk/yel--streetbike
88 FZR400 primer/duct tape/yellow Krylon--trackbike
e-mail:[email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know you are talking about the R1 but....

Up here in Canada there is a magazine called Canadian Rider (or something like that) and January's issue features an R6, Whats kinda neat about this article is that they took the R6 all across Canada For 33,000 kms The only mods that were done were a new seat and a steering dampner. The Km's mentioned were done in a very short period of time, I can't remember the whole article but if anyone else has read it feel free to fill in.

Bottom line is that i was quite amazed at the touring capability of this super sport demon meant not for lagging long days on but city and twisty road rashing!!

------------------

·
Registered
4 Posts
i ride my 99 R1 pretty much everywhere. when i go on a ride it's a RIDE. We head up north and add about 200-350 miles on the odometer each time. The only thing that hurts on rides like that is my ass. The seat is fine around town but for rides like that it Sucks.
i'm only 5'10" so i don't fill that corbin out at all. Other than that i find the R1 very comfy and i wouldn't trade in for nothing.

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am 6'1' and have put 263 miles in one ride on a 2000 R1. I owned a 94 FZR1000 that I had set up or my size and was able to go from that to the R1 quite comfortably.
Al

------------------

·
Registered
292 Posts
I did a 300 mile trip on my R1 and got pretty sore from it...mainly on my ass. I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs. I mainly carve canyons with it and that's about 100 miles per session. I'm hanging off a lot, however, so my ass feels fine afterwards (my legs are another story though.) I plan to ride it from L.A. to Monterey for the SBK races in July. We'll see if I make it! :)

------------------
1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves

·
Registered
4 Posts
mashuri,
i'm planning on doing the same thing but i'll be riding from phx, az. a bit longer ride. wanna meet up somewhere in between? let's get a bunch of bikes together :)

------------------
WHAT'S GREEN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD?
GRASS, A TREE OR A KAWI :)
PASCAL, '99 R1 BLUE

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hey Squally,

Shoot me an email. Maybe we can hook up in San Luis Obispo or something. Not sure how the route works from AZ.

------------------
1999 Blue/White YZF-R1: 2 Bros. C4 exhaust, Dynojet jet kit, timing tricker, dyno-tuned by Graves

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
I live on my R1, ride it work everyday I can
and from there I go riding in the valley.
I will be on it for 4 or 5 hours and the
only thing the bothers me is my wrists,
though this will go away as it did on the
R6 as soon as I build them back up. It's
been 6 months since I rode last so my hands
are wimpy and out of shape.

I am short, about 5 6 so I never have any
cramping problems. The only thing that
bothers me other than my wrists is my butt
on long long rides, my ass is a little sore.

To be honest - ITS WORTH IT!! The bike is
sooo bad, it's just unreal.

------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just joining the love in on the R-1. I haven't gone as far as some of you, but did two back to back 200+ mile days. By myself at hyway speed is OK. Slow and two up riding is killer on the wrists and elbows. I put a tank bag on and stuffed it with gear and that helps a bunch, just to take some of the pressure off the back and limbs. Leg or hip cramping went away after a few trips and stretching helps. I am 45, 6'0", and 275lbs.
I will take a handful of pain killers before I trade it in. Go for it .It's a blast!! Hal

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts