Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not comparing them to buy, I just bought a 750-sport and my friend has a 98 yzf 600. I was just wondering how they compare performance wise. Which one is faster, which one handles better, brakes.... and so on.

Also what is the best mod for a 750 sport or ss? Air filter, chip, exhaust???

Thanks

Jeremy
750sport:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
re: yzf600r vs 750 sport

well jeremy...
as you may well have found out for yourself, a '98yzf600r will stomp all over a 750 sport in every conceivable category except perhaps style and sound. yamaha yzf's have great (dual rotor even!) brakes. the 750 sport has a single rotor front break setup. furthermore the yzf has a fully adjustable suspension front and rear. the 750 sport has a nonadjustable suspension setup. a stock yzf600 makes near 90 rwhp. the 750 sport...about 60. torque is similar at 45 ft-lb. now don't get me wrong...i'm a huge ducti fan. i just feel that their new bargain-basement bikes aren't really worth the $$. i can see that they're trying to make affordable starter bikes (which is what the 750 sport is) to generate future customers for their top notch stuff. all this performance stuff aside...it's all about how much fun you're having. i hope you're enjoying your 750 sport. do yourself a favor, though, and trade up to at least a 900ss when you 'outgrow' your current ride. the 900ss can at least be modified to keep up with a japanese 600 in a straight line. to answer your modification question i'd maybe throw on a full exhaust sytem and lower the gearing a bit. much more than that and should just have bought a quicker bike.

jason

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Jason pretty much summed it up.

The 750SS is a neat and capable bike from what I've seen but having owned a 98YZF600R and the base model 748 would have to be ridden quite well to be the Yami.

In the tight twisties I'm sure the 750SS would be alot of fun not to mention they sound pretty neat with aftermarket exhaust. :cool:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I think what you need to keep in mind is that you are on a Ducati. It is all about character. The Yami is a cookie cutter inline. Don't be too concerned over hp numbers because the truth is Ducatis across the board are loosing in that battle(side note: they are still kicking ass in WSBK). Have fun and upgrading later is always a option. Also remember that by the time you are pushing that bike to it's limits you will be quite the rider. Underpowered ...maybe...but still capable.:thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Aren't the 750 sport and 750SS different bikes? It looks the same, but aren't the rear shocks supposed to be better on the SS?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Your right the bikes are different. The sport has non-adjustable suspension while the SS does have some adjustment. I rode a 750SS a little...i mean very little 10-15 miles. The turn-in was great and acceleration out of the corners was pretty good. The rear shock could be replaced cheaper than the difference in price between the two models. The sport is what it is....a cheap entry into the Ducati line.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts