Sportbike World banner

How do you guys and girls feel about chrome on your sportbike?

• Chrome: LOVE THE BLING!

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Chrome is for posers!

Votes: 24 57.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
NINJA DAD said:
I was just wondering how most people felt about chrome on a sportbike.
Unless it a pure show bike (which sportbikes should never be, arent they built for performance?) it screams poser.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have polished some aluminum on my bike to appear somewhat like chrome. But I think actually adding chrome just adds weight. And I thought the whole idea was to get rid of weight, not add it. So, I personaly would not add chrome to my bike. I do like the way it looks though.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I think it can look good on sportbikes, but have seen only a few cases where it actually did. As far as people worried about adding weight....who cares?! I'd be willing to bet there are very very few on this board (or in the sportbike riding community as a whole) who can actually push their bike to its limits (the bike's limits, not the rider's) so adding a few ounces or even a pound or two in chrome will make absolutely no difference in the performance you see out of your bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've seen it look good and bad. I've seen some really nice sportbikes with chrome, and others that I was like eww.

And as far as weight goes it is no big deal, since most people that are doing chrome aren't racing the same bike.

I know I can't push my bike to the limits of it. My limit comes much earlier.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't had any pieces actually chromed, but I have polished my frame and wheels. Personally, I like the polished look on a bike, but I wouldn't go as far as to stretch the swingarm and all that shit.

·
Registered
518 Posts
None for me, thanks!

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Only a few yrs ago so many wanted true alloy frames like the Deltabox on the road racers of Yamaha & others, so out comes Yamaha with a silver painted frame, but not good enough & people would avoid the YFR600r for that VERY reason.

Still the white wheels were driving some riders nutty so they would have them chromed, which weakened the wheels, to powder coated. FINALLY most bikes were coming out with BLACK wheels & alloy frames.

So newest fad was to polish the frames along with polishing the wheels, only note that many of the factory bikes are with PAINTED alloy frames to even new bikes coming onto the market are with painted frames & many are sticking with painted wheels.

All of this in just a few yrs of when sportbikes started to arrive in early 90s to most makers or even a bit later. Proof that some of the sportbike riders are so keen on appearance compared to others.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
buh-buh buh-buh bling!

I agree with the comments above. If somone is a casual rider or it's a show bike, chrome is fine. If you ride hard, why chrome it? The chrome adds weight and it will get dirty as hell if ridden properly.

Mine's polished and I get asked if it's chromed. I didn't polish it, BTW. I was going to sell it and had given it to a friend (the bike). Then he realized he couldn't afford it, so I bought the bike back. Sounds like I got taken, huh? Think about it: I gave him a wrecked bike with a warped frame, all the plastics were broken, a dented tank, no rearsets, and a tank that had a 3 x 6" dent in it. He gave it back to me with a new STAMPED frame, and he polished the frame, forks, and rearsets, AND mounted my pipe for $2K. Not bad in my book.

Sorry for rambling.....:twofinger :D

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I think some of us need to find friends like that, so that if we prang the bike we can sell it to them to have it corrected & be able to buy it back at just 2 or 3 grand. I mean like this would be a dream & you had one that became true!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Smitty said:
I think some of us need to find friends like that, so that if we prang the bike we can sell it to them to have it corrected & be able to buy it back at just 2 or 3 grand. I mean like this would be a dream & you had one that became true!!!!!!!!
Only thing is that I didn't sell it to him; I gave it to him....no charge. He's a good friend and didn't have a bike and we caught each other when he wanted to ride and I knew I wouldn't be riding and wouldn't be able to ride for quite some time.

Because of all of this, we became best friends. He's the only guy I trusted to work on my bike before I wrecked it, and after this we just bonded. Much later, he called me up and told me of the financial troubles that he was having. He didn't ask for the money, I just told him to meet me by an ATM by his house and I gave him as much as I could.

He helped me, I helped him. That's what friends are about. I don't even care if he repays me. As far as I'm concerned, he's better than paper.

B

·
0 Posts
to me chromed out and mainly the slammed sportbikes are own by posers that ride back and forth at the local strip. then spend the next few days cleaning it. it makes about as much since as slamming a 4X4 truck.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Good Evening All-

Not a big fan of chromed parts on a sportbike. Wheels, frames and anything else "silver" tends to look best with the stock finish. The silver-mirrored windscreens are probably the worst example of chromed bling-bling.

The only place where I changed from a matte finish to a polished finish is on the aluminum brake & clutch levers. Cleaned 'em up with some Flitz and they look sweet...

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Back in '50 we were rolling in with our road racing bikes, to a circuit, when someone spotted a Triumph Tiger 100 chromed to the max.

Later on I went along with some others to look at the bike. Every darn thing possibly was chromed or alloy polished to the max & I have to admit very well done.

Still the bike simply had NO TASTE for there was no contrast bar the black tyres, black saddle, black grips, black cables, & grease on the rear chain with some on the chromed sprocket. Ghastly looking thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i personalize my bikes as i do my cars my bikes polished with chrome wheels i ride daily.if you ride hard enough on the streets
to use 100% of the performance of todays newest bikes you
should be on a track.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I've read several responses about adding weight and riding hard. Unless your on the track, you have nothing to worry about. If you like the bike to be nice and shiny, go for it. If you want bling and all that shiny thing, rock on. It's not fair to refer to the show people as posers unless they are posing as racers then can't race.

I don't chrome by the way. I leave my bike pretty much stock, except for the safty add ons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts