Sportbike World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was just wondering what everybody else uses to clean their leathers?

Mine is getting all bugged up now :mad:

thanx

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Soft cloth with warm water. I never use soap or other cleaners except as a last resort for something I need to remove, and only in a small area with lots of water to rinse the soap residue.

Follow with a good leather conditioner after leather is fully dried. Propert's boot creme is best if you can find it. It is sold at most good cowboy boot stores.

Lexol products will probably work well, but personally I would only use the conditioner and save the cleaner for situations like what I said above for using soap.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Look around, Dad had a thread about some wonder product that lets you wash lethers in the washing machine...

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

The first thing to remember is to quickly wipe down your leathers after EVERY ride to prevent bugs from sticking. It's lots easier to use a soft cloth and some warm water on a frequent basis than it is to be forced to scrub the pesky little things later after they bond to your gear.

Secondly, this is why it is crucial to "feed" the leather the moisturizers and nutrients it needs to remain water-resistant and pliable. The various commercial products on the market will virtually allow bugs to slide off the leather.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx, I'll try the warm water and cloth thing first.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Ok cleaning experts, I got a question for ya.

I got a set of leathers that are gunked. As in I rode in them for a few months, collected lots of bugs, then crashed into a mudpit, covered them with mud, never cleaned them, just let it cake on for a month while I was fixing my bike, then rode for another couple of months collecting bugs... In other words... They're pretty bad..

How do I get that clean?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Vash said:
Ok cleaning experts, I got a question for ya.

I got a set of leathers that are gunked. As in I rode in them for a few months, collected lots of bugs, then crashed into a mudpit, covered them with mud, never cleaned them, just let it cake on for a month while I was fixing my bike, then rode for another couple of months collecting bugs... In other words... They're pretty bad..

How do I get that clean?
I'd say take some warm water and wipe down as much as possible, then try Dad's washing machien method. Follow up with whatever conditioner you want. If that doesn't work, try fire. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
spicersh said:
If that doesn't work, try fire. :thumb:
Tempting, but they cost me too much..

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I bought a cleaner and conditioner from our local saddle/bridle shop. The ladies attest to its quality b/c of the bike saddle bags they use it on.

Visit your local leather/shoe repair shop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts