Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would use a light hand rubbing compound or finishing compund applied by hand on a soft rag. Dont go crazy rubbing, or you will go through the clear.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.....

I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get a response! Where would be the best place to get the rubbing compound? Thanks again!:thumb:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Any painters supply will have a shelf full of different grit rubbing compounds. Make sure you stick with a light one for final buff, or scratch removal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
the way I buff out scratches is lighlty wet sanding the damaged area, I use 2500 or 2000 grit paper and then use what they call a leveling compound, some are designed for hand use, others machine only. I would recommend Race glaze if your doing it by hand. then their sealer polisher for the next step.

First get some water and soap and take a sponge and wet down the area, I would recommend using the 2500 grit, it will go a little slower but you are less likely to make any mistakes by burning thru. the paper will leave a dull area, this you will remove by using the rough cut compound, until it is shiny, you will not be able to bring it to high gloss with this but make it look better, the next step is to use the sealer and polish compound to bring it to its real shine, then you can wax the tank.. If you have any questions you can always call us at the shop, advice is still free... Bob

607-535-bike

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi endleswavz-

Per the excellent advice from Bob @ Plasticweld...just use the minimum effective abrasive for this job and take it easy. Better to have to reapply your physical efforts rather than blasting through the clearcoat with a gritty abrasive.

~ Blue Jays ~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts