Sportbike World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone out here knows.... The last three bikes I've owned (900 Ninja, ZX11, ZX12), I have removed the carbs (throttle body), unplugged the air screws and checked their settings. I have yet to find any 2 cyl. set alike, and the bikes have always responded very well to having the settings equalized.
Why isn't this done at the factory? What's the point of plugging them when they are incorrectly set?

------------------

G

·
I beleive that on an inline 4 , the 2 outside cyls have bigger jets than the 2 inside cyls. I think the reason is to keep the 2 inside cyls cooler ??

I could be way off here man soooo(I probably am, I've been drinking again!)...
I remember ripping the carbs of my old CB750 (air cooled) and the two inside jets were smaller?? actually I'm thinking I was drinking quite heavily that day also ?

Oh wait are we talking about the Main jets ?? NOO!!! Oh...ummmmm...maybe I'll just go now .

------------------
Whatever that little sheep said is a damn lie !!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Squidwannabe:
I beleive that on an inline 4 , the 2 outside cyls have bigger jets than the 2 inside cyls. I think the reason is to keep the 2 inside cyls cooler ??

I could be way off here man soooo(I probably am, I've been drinking again!)...
I remember ripping the carbs of my old CB750 (air cooled) and the two inside jets were smaller?? actually I'm thinking I was drinking quite heavily that day also ?

Oh wait are we talking about the Main jets ?? NOO!!! Oh...ummmmm...maybe I'll just go now .

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nice one squid, actually, with what little I know about the subject(very little), I'd say you are on the right track. But, what the hell do I know :D

------------------
"If everything's coming your way-
you're in the wrong lane"

Clark

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Squid' is right on the mark. The inner two should be the same and the outer two should be the same. It is because the outer two cylinders run cooler.

------------------
John

"If Harley made an airplane... would you fly in it?"

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I thought that just applied to the main jets and not the mixture screws, but it's logical that both would be that way. Leon did say he found "no 2 the same" however. Since I doubt the factories flow test each carb and set them accordingly, I'd guess the differences are due to sloppy tolerances or vibration moving them a bit over time.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
873 Posts
Movin this to "How Do I" forum..
(hey i gotta use my moderator powers SOME-how!!)

------------------
Fear Green.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.