Sportbike World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I read a tutorial here: http://www.squidbusters.com/sb/showthread.php?t=219 on polishing bike wheels. I couldnt find "Airplane stripper" at my local walmart, but they had this stuff called "Circa 1850 heavy body paint & varnish remover". So I've been experimenting, masking something with tape, then applying this circa stuff. Problem is, it keeps breaking down the tape. It melts any type of masking tape. Is there anything i can use to mask my wheels? I just want to take the black off the lips, not the centers of the wheels. Or is there another paint stripper i should be trying?
Thanks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Go to a painter's supply for the airplane stripper.
I used masking tape to cover my tires lip when using this stuff. Just be careful when you apply it to the rim so you don't get a lot on the tape and it'll be fine. It works fairly quick, and I used scotchbrite to scrub the paint off when it started to bubble. Use water to clean the wheel right after to wash away the residue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
bimmerdude said:
Hi all,

I read a tutorial here: http://www.squidbusters.com/sb/showthread.php?t=219 on polishing bike wheels. I couldnt find "Airplane stripper" at my local walmart, but they had this stuff called "Circa 1850 heavy body paint & varnish remover". So I've been experimenting, masking something with tape, then applying this circa stuff. Problem is, it keeps breaking down the tape. It melts any type of masking tape. Is there anything i can use to mask my wheels? I just want to take the black off the lips, not the centers of the wheels. Or is there another paint stripper i should be trying?
Thanks.
look in the automotive section, i just bought some there, they have the spay can and pour on:hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts