Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My windscreen just started buzzing really badly at certain RPMs, usually the ones I cruise around town at so it's really annoying. If I lift up on the windscreen it stops, but I'm not sure how to adjust it. I can't find any loose bolts either.

One other thing, since I've had my bike (new) the front brake has always squealed when rolling to a stop, from about 5 mph or so. I've cleaned off the rotors with a rag, but that didn't work. Should I try brake cleaner, or is that stuff going to do damage to something?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
brake grease on the back of the pads. THE BACK!

as for the screen, either its a loose bolt somewhere, or just take a piece of foam and jam it in there

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yea my windscreen buzzes too.. if I grab the left side and hold it against the fairing it stops. It happens between 6.5k and 7k.. it's annoying but I'm too lazy to do something about it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vash - so i've gotta take the brake pads off then? hmm, not so sure about my skills in that department...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Its pretty easy.
Park the bike, and take off the calipers. They should be held in by two large allen bolts. You may want to pull the little clips out of the front fender, so you can free the brake lines. Pull the calipers off the wheel (they should slide right off). When you have them off, do not pull on the brake lever.

now in the back of the caliper should be one long skinny bolt that goes right thru both pads. Remove it, and the pads should come out. Take a screw driver and push the pistons back into the calipers as far as they will go. Apply grease to the BACK of the pad, and put them back in. Reassemble in reverse order. After you are done you will have to pump the brake a few times before they start working.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll give it a try if I feel like I'm not going to mess it up.

But why does lubing the back of the pads help w/ the squeal, b/c it seems like it would be where the pad contacts the rotor that causes it to squeal, right?:confused:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sometimes all that is necessary is to shoot the brake free up into the bads & calipers, just to get rid or the dust & crap from the road & dust from the pads. Clean off any excessive fluid.

You might give that a first try & if not the answer then follow the advise of Vash. Often that was all we did at the shop & customer was surprised & pleased for some length of time.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
smitty, "brake free up" is brake cleaner then? I wasn't sure exactly what you meant. I was going to try that, but worried it might be bad for the bike or something; I've never used brake cleaner even on my cars so I have to plead ignorance here.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Brake Cleaner is very safe to use. In most cases, it won't even harm paint (though don't go spraying your bike down anyway).

It is a highly volatile solvent, which evaporates VERY quickly, leaving no residue. Spray it into your pads, to wash grit, grime, grease, and dust from the pad surfaces, and grooves. It will wash it down, then evaporate quickly. Its safe to use everywhere you don't want lubrication. Avoid wheel bearings and such.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'll give the brake cleaner a try, thanks.

for the windscreen, i tried to take it off but it's riveted to the fairing, so didn't want to risk damaging it. i may try to get the dealer to do something since it's under warranty, but i'm sure they'll either flat out say no or drag their feet about it.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Sorry sanders for Break Free is a trade name for a special oil we use in our f/arms, well so is Tri-Flon renamed Tri-Flow as used by the American Forces out in Iraq for both are a cleaner & oil with teflon, for the dust & firing of their weapons so often they would start to jam & simply pour on Tri-Flow so the end of the problem unless the gun had to be fully serviced. They carry that costly oil around in the numerous GALLONS & most I can afford is 500mi which I think(?) is a pint.

So yes I should have typed BREAK CLEANER. You must realize since latter part of October to this very date I have been h/gun shooting & reloading (around two or three times each week) so Tri-Flon is still in my thinker & so a flip to Break Free was so easy to error on especially as I have Break Free as well!!!!!!

Quite often we would have a customer coming into the shop with this break making all the noise. A few shots of Break Cleaner, wipe away all the crud & THAT was the answer. Some felt like fools & openly admitted it to buying their own & using it like we did.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Brake cleaner is not safe on rubber o-rings. So dont go spraying those down.. other than that, its great for just about everything, like getting gunk off the rims and floor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts