Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How cold is it in your area? and when do you decided to call it quits from riding due to cold weather? Its currently 28 degrees in NC (tonight) and driving through that was very very chilling. Mind you I had boots, 2 pants, 3 undershirts, pair of gortex gloves and 1 leather jacket as clothing. I stayed under 45 the whole ride back home. I think its time to invest in some neck socks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was in Elizabeth City Nc from Jan-May. I Live in LA, CA and I was going to miss my bike so I put it in the back of my truck and brought it with me. I only rode a couple of time for two reasons.
1) The roads suck, it was a 40 mile straight away to Norfolk
2) It was freeeeeeeezing.
It was so cold that I wasnt even having any fun anymore. I used to wear my armour jacket, two sweatshirts underneath, and a pair of sweat under my jeans. It was no fun at all, I could bearly move when I had all that stuff on. I feel sorry for you, I hop you at least live next to a twon wheres theirs REAL people. I will not go back to NC unless my life depends on it.
Is this enough info for ya?
Cold=NC:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

I'm good down to around the mid-40's or so. Below that it starts getting painful without frequent breaks for hot coffee. What I would give for heated grips (like BMW offers...) and a plug-in for a heated vest as OEM straight from the factory! As long as I could be fairly certain not to encounter ice on the roadways I would darn near ride year-round...

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
231 Posts
oh yea, I hate black ice. I saw some here in LA on the 405 a few weeks ago. Yes, it got that cold. Looks like its going to be a cold winter this year.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Come down to FL, all riding all season, hehe. Even at 60 degrees at morning, some people are riding with t-shirts on. Only trade off is curvy roads :(, just miles of long straights and cops everywhere.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Heh Heh, asuming I get my machine up and running well I am gonna ride it no matter how cold. Just bundle up and only ride when the roads are dry is my plan. It can get to be like -15 F here at extremes. More commonly in the 0-30 F range during winter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Temperature doesn't matter to me. I just did a 150 mile jaunt in mid 30s weather with an average speed of 85 on the highway. Had to pick up a new battery cable for my truck and the only dealer that had it was in BFE.
I did my MSF in a rain/snow mix too.

After the first snow of the year though I put the bike away. Michigan has this idea that every inch of roadway needs 10lbs. of salt. Even on a dry road that salt will make it slick.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Would you like to have the fun of first shoveling out your driveway of around 8" of snow, & more coming down or just try to stay upright on your 400+ pound m/c?

Personally when the wind chill factory comes around to being a bummer cold ride & almost half the time to dress up for the run as JBaz pointed out in "--I had boots, 2 pants, 3 undershirts, pair of gortex gloves and 1 leather jacket as clothing. ---that is when I call it sensless to ride.--" I do hope he wears boots on most of the other riding.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
It gets close to freezing in my area during winter, but it's never too cold to ride. We don't get snow or ice either, so it's pretty much "game on" all year 'round.

BTW, it's 5:30am here and it's currently 23C (73F). I've got shorts and a t-shirt on. :twofinger

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think it was around 34 degrees earlier this morning and we were out riding. This is my first winter so I don't know how cold is too cold, but I'm probably stupid enough to ride when its pretty freakin cold.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but isn't australia's summer during our winter period and their winter during our summer?

btw, I'd rather live in the mountains, better roads there. I love the twists better then straights and stunting.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
JBaz said:
but isn't australia's summer during our winter period and their winter during our summer?

btw, I'd rather live in the mountains, better roads there. I love the twists better then straights and stunting.
Yeah, it's almost summer here. I was teasing you, saying that it's early morning, but it's already warm. Hope you have some warm gear for winter riding!

I live about 10 mins from a mountain range. Perfect! :thumbs2:

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
It gets below zero here occassionally.

I won't ride if its below about 48F b/c at 65mph+ over about an hour, my hands get too cold. Then the ridiing isn't fun but plain risky.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You call that cold?

ripped from an article I found amusing.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
You call that cold?

Bjørn T. Hammer <bh> writes:

Here is a comparison of Norway vs the World in terms of differences in climatic perceptions. It is a brutal reminder that it is at least 4 more months of winter before we again can experience nice spring thermals here in the northern part of Europe. I "borrowed" the text from the web site of Oslo Paraglider Club, originally published by Haakon Saebu (no. Håkon Sæbu).

+15°C / 59°F This is as warm as it gets in Norway, so we'll start here. People in Spain wear winter-coats and gloves. The Norwegians are out in the sun, getting a tan.

+10°C / 50°F The French are trying in vain to start their central heating. The Norwegians plant flowers in their gardens.

+5°C / 41°F Italian cars won't start. The Norwegians are cruising in cabriolets.

0°C / 32°F Distilled water freezes. The water in Oslo Fjord gets a little thicker.

- 5°C / 23°F People in California almost freeze to death. The Norwegians have their final barbeque before winter.

- 10°C / 14°F The Brits start the heat in their houses. The Norwegians start using long sleeves.

- 20°C / -4°F The Aussies flee from Mallorca. The Norwegians end their Midsummer celebrations. Autumn is here.

- 30°C / -22°F People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth. The Norwegians start drying their laundry indoors.

- 40°C / -40°F Paris starts cracking in the cold. The Norwegians stand in line at the hotdog stands.

- 50°C / -58°F Polar bears start evacuating the North Pole. The Norwegian army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.

- 70°C / -94°F The false Santa moves south. The Norwegian army goes out on winter survival training.

- 183°C / -297.4°F Microbes in food don't survive. The Norwegian cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.

- 273°C / -459.4°F ALL atom-based movement halts. The Norwegians start saying 'Faen, it's cold outside today.'

- 300°C / -508°F Hell freezes over. Norway wins the Eurovision Song Contest

·
Registered
892 Posts
as long as there is no snow or ice on the roads i'm there. no matter what temp it is. but yeah invest in a skimask type thing i got one at REI made by Serius i think it works GREAT covers the nect and everything.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Re: You call that cold?

ddreg said:
...0°C / 32°F Distilled water freezes. The water in Oslo Fjord gets a little thicker...

...- 183°C / -297.4°F Microbes in food don't survive. The Norwegian cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold...
:laughing:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I would say to-day was a good example. Temp was -4C, dully & cloudy, & we have 1' of snow on top of whatever else we have collected like prior snow now into a mess of ice, salt/gravel/sand & many a car is not starting due to battery problems as we are not accustom to this sort of temp, while many will not drive a cage due to the conditions.

To get to open up the indoor h/gun range I counted on my 4X4 truck as did all the others (some included 4X4 cages) due to the road off hwy 97, to our range is two narrow, to steep & with to many tight bends so the Dept of Hwys will not plow & salt/sand it.

We had a ball in h/gun shooting as did the trap shooter like 10:00 am to 1:30pm & just as I was about to drive out & lock up the place, along come a Cpl of the RCMP & actually the f/arms instructor though this was in desire to use the range for some Emergency Response Team practice (this is what you, in the States call SWAT) so I obligated him & is fellow Constable as this is not one of their given days for using our range so I have to be there as a Range Officer---on their given days we are not resposible to what goes on. Sort of wish I could like some of their evening practicing & training for nit shooting & not much left of the cage the tow up there, for they do have, what is left taken away.

They felt better & I got to pump off 12 rnds of their short bbl semi-auto rifle. First time I have fired one in 12 or 14 yrs. So then home around 4:00pm. You will not even see sidecar rigs in this weather let along m/cs with just two wheels.

·
Registered
109 Posts
These next two months are my down time in Western NC. (Jan. & Feb.) Ill usually ride as long as no snow or ice is on the roads. Sometimes I still end up on the mountain and have to watch for ice spots. I only wear insulated underwear with one layer of normal street clothes. Then I add my Joe Rocket 5.0 pants, Ballistic jacket and A* full gauntlet gloves. If its average 30 degrees, Ill swap out for the gortex gloves. I have a hood but seldom wear it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts