Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dayuummm, i tried the other day to ride a wheelie while sitting on my tank..I always said this was too sick for me....But I never thought i would be able to shift in a wheelie while sitting & ride stand ups...Needless to say i have gotten fairly decent @ both.

Anyway, when i tried, the power of the bike just pushed me back onto the seat, while in 1st gear....Any suggestions/tips on how to ride a tanker & whats the prefered gear...Holla:drool:

Btw, im on a 954 if that helps w/ your input

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
now why would you try to do a tanker on that brand new bike, i would wait a while before trying it, buti have seen people do it and the tend to use the less torquey gears such as 2 or 3, in no way are you going to b e able to control a tanker from first gear just too much power and as you said 9 times out of 10 just puts you right back on the seat

i would have frame sliders, which i know you have and full leathers and BE VERY CAREFUL, and ride where there is no traffic

GOod luck

~the quickest

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DAyuumm everyone is dissin the tankers,,guess there not that good, especially for your tank if it gets dented...Yea well, guess ill just 86 that one....:eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stunters Bikes

I have seen a couple of serious stunters bikes and the first thing they do when they get the bike is bash the tank in so they dont slide off,.......

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I've heard a lot of people say the 954's seat is like sitting on a piece of plywood, but I didn't think it was bad enough to necessitate riding on the tank....wow!

Just kiddin' Ruff....Its a badass bike, I love the mods you've done to yours. Keep ridin' hard but ride safe!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Dude I had the same problem with tankers. Just tosses you right back on the seat. Then I remembered how much wax I have on my tank and how stupid it was to even try. LoL. I did manage to pull it up and stay on there for about 2 seconds though. :D Unfortunately it would have to be first gear on an R6 I don't think it has the balls to pull me up in second sitting on the tank, even though it's the gear I do my standups and sitdowns in. Bigpapa is right, most serious stunters bash their tank in so they don't slide off. That's a little much for me though. ;) Till I pick up cheap beat up bike somewhere anyway. LoL

·
Registered
230 Posts
Tank wheelies

The grip tape works for most low lifted wheelies. But get one vertical to the point it can be ridden out then your gonna need a dented tank. I take my good tank off and buy a somewhat damaged one from a boneyard. Ten minutes later with a rubber mallet its ready to go. Two bits of FYI, this lowers the amount of fuel the tank holds and make sure you remove the cap before denting in the tank. Far as getting them up, with my 900 RR second gear works best. Use the throttle to bounce it up. Completely release the throttle then whack it back on smoothly. A few guys I ride with clutch them up but this is very tricky. Best way to learn is try the Iron Cross first. (legs and feet out to the sides) This way you can quickly drop yourself back to the seat and tag the brake if shit goes sour. With the barhop wheelies your committed to ride it out with just throttle control. One last FYI if my F3 can pick my fat ass in the air on the tank, then an R6 should do it fine. Just have to keep trying and ride around looking like a squid for awhile.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, i have heard of some hardcore stunna's denting there tanks to be able to ride then better....Dont know if Im on that level yet..Mayb one day tho....:p

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dents in the tank is the key to a flat riding surface. I did mine and it works great for tanks,highchairs, and crists. The grip tape works wonders for highchair endos. Seems to be the key to them for me. Laterz :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
no offense here guys but as a stunter on a stunt team here in Fl. i dont see why you would want to go into any gear but 1st for a tank wheelie, its dangerous enough in 1st where you can easily go well over 65mph, let alone 2nd where you can run into triple digits. i do mine in 1st for days ...get to balance point and you wont have to worry about other gears.....plus the only place where you should really be doin this stuff is on a track or sanctioned event (usually at a dragstrip or smaller track) which does not have the distance needed to do high gear wheeleis. comming from the stunt world guys, learn slow stuff anything else will be useless at a stunt show.....peace

·
Registered
230 Posts
Everyones got a style, just cause it's different than yours don't make it wrong. I use second because the power hits smoother and this makes it a little easier to control the lift. Rather than just skyrocket ya ass off the back. Stunting isn't just about doing shows dude. It's about having fun and being FREE to ride the way you deem is best. But being on a stunt team and all you prolly knew all that already. It's called going back to basics and being free to do your thing, whatever that thing happens to be.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts