Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty, im 6' 198 lbs of gorgeous. :p what kind of adverse effects do guys about my size incur with passenger (for instance a nice young lady.) on a 600 class sportbike.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Assuming you operate within the load limit (found in the manual), increase the spring preload on the suspension, and just be ready for the bike to handle way differently. Increased care should be taken, especially at low speeds and during turns and stopping. Make sure the passenger knows that what they do will affect everything, so no big head movements or wild leaning on their part.

The passenger being aware that they will affect the bike is a must, so the smarter they are, the better.:thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hrmm...ill admit, poor question on my part. ill revise. what kind of performance effects do you feel the worst effects. such as, freeway merging, braking. just a generality on how much more brake are you applying etc. the more i think about this the more i feel its a lame question lol.
-rOOster-

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Well, there's more weight on the bike, and more of a load on the motor, so acceleration suffers. The fact that there's more weight means it takes longer to stop. More or less, every aspect of performance and handling suffers.

I'd say the most important one that suffers is braking.

Depending on how much experience you have, you may want to think twice about it, particularly if the passenger(s) are going to be squirrelly girls that you meet at various places.

I've been riding motorcycles for a long time, and I have a no passenger policy that I never make exceptions for. Most potential passengers just can't be trusted, way I look at it. But that's only my:2cents:

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I've ridden with my girl on the back, but she already had pillion experience. She's about 5'8", 110lbs.

I have to keep telling her to squeeze me harder with her legs, otherwise I can't even tell she's there!!

I'll never pillion anyone else. My next bike will be a solo seater (cheaper rego), so I won't have to worry about people asking.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
Good advice so far. Pay close attention to the stuff sidewaysducati posted in his second reply.

For a big guy on a 600, you need to pay close attention when carrying a passenger. By yourself, you load the bike pretty good. You may want to break out the tape measure and record some suspension settings (preload mostly) for riding with a passenger. This will help keep the chassis most sorted for the amount of weight. As you go along, you can adjust your damping settings to your tastes. If you keep track of "alone" and "passenger" settings, you should have no problem with the suspension running out.

As far as power goes, I can't help. Both my bikes are 1000s, and I have an absolute no passenger policy on the YZF. On the FZR, once I have the suspension set for a passenger, I generally can't tell they are there, but I know that I unconsciously adjust my riding.

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
312 Posts
As far as a 600 goes, it will have plenty of power for 2 but will suffer somewhat with slower speed power and around town torque. Hills will also be more of a challenge. If you will ride two-up alot, something bigger than 600cc would work a little better. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
When riding hills, you just have to be mindful of dropping a cog or two to keep the revs up in the torque end of the range.

My girl and I use the ride a 40hp ZZR-250 up many a mountain range near our home, always doing at least the speed limit.

But yeah, as most have said, you can't beat cubes...

Edit: Spelling.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The springs in the fork tubes are for an average weight person, which in Japanese manufacturing is about 160 lbs. I weigh 192, and had my forks and the shock reworked by Race Tech. New springs for a heavier person were used, along with new valving and different viscosity oil. It makes a difference. On yours you need to adjust the preload, check your owners manual for guidelines.

The passenger will affect weight transfer front to rear on braking, so when you do turns brake more gradually to prevent excess nose dive and weight shift to the front.

Have her hold you with her arms around your waist and hands locked together if possible, you will notice that more.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
fuster said:
...Have her hold you with her arms around your waist and hands locked together if possible...
That's a very uncomfortable position for pillions, being squeezed up against the rider. Helmet clashes are a p.i.t.a. too.

I used to offer for my girl to hold onto me or my jacket, but she felt more secure holding the rear handle, especially under brakes. Her shoulders would get a bit sore after a long ride though.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Or have the passenger put their hands on the tank, that way they're not resting all their weight on you, and won't ram you foward with them in a quick stop situation.

A 600 is plenty of power for 2-up, I did it last summer on a Katana. But you definitely notice a difference in acceleration, stopping, slow cornering is trickier.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
cookeetree said:
Yeah???? That sounds even more awkward. :confused:
Actually, my wife prefers that. She keeps her hands on my hip bones and move to the tank under braking. Doesn't upset me at all, and she doesn't slide around the seat that way.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have swapped gearing a bit lower, which helps two-up riding immensely. Just don't have to slip clutch quite as much around town.

My wife prefers one hand around me and one on the grab handle. This lets her steady herself forward and backward under accel and braking. She can also switch arms as she wishes to stay comfortable.

Q for those of you with a "no passenger" rule--Why? Just curious.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
jrm said:

Q for those of you with a "no passenger" rule--Why? Just curious.
If I screw up and hurt myself, oh well. If I screw up and hurt someone else.....

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
jrm said:
...Q for those of you with a "no passenger" rule--Why? Just curious.
My reasons are far less noble than Spicer's.

I don't want to get sued.
I don't want my bike being turned into a doorstop to be the fault of anybody but me (because then I'd have to kill them).

And I don't like to be messing with suspension settings all the time. I've got the suspension set up just right for me, and if someone else wants a ride, well, there are bus stops at nearly every corner.:2cents:

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
sidewaysducati said:
My reasons are far less noble than Spicer's.

I don't want to get sued.
I don't want my bike being turned into a doorstop to be the fault of anybody but me (because then I'd have to kill them).

And I don't like to be messing with suspension settings all the time. I've got the suspension set up just right for me, and if someone else wants a ride, well, there are bus stops at nearly every corner.:2cents:
I think I'd have to run a combo of the answers. Add to that, on the FZR, I can all but ignore them. As wheelie prone as the YZF R1 is, and as much tinkering with the settings to get the front wheel to mostly stay on the ground, I have to agree with the point above about not wanting to mess with it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
That's what cuisers are for. ;) Although I have a friend that packs his wife on a cafe Guzzie. He's about 6' 220 and she probably 5' 90. It's amazing how fast they can go. My sport bike doesn't have a pillion.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'll take ppl on short rides (less than 5 miles) but thats about it.
Acceleration is fine (slower, but there is plenty of it) braking suffers (I'm paranoid about anything less than stellar braking) but the biggest problem is when you lean and they want to sit streight. Or worse yet wiggle around from side to side. Especially on like a turn-a-round. Totally messes you up.

You go to turn, and lean. The bike starts to turn. She leans the other way to sit "streight", and the bike starts turning less. You are forced to lean it more, she leans the other way. It becomes a wobble... Annoying as hell.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vash said:
...You go to turn, and lean. The bike starts to turn. She leans the other way to sit "streight", and the bike starts turning less. You are forced to lean it more, she leans the other way. It becomes a wobble... Annoying as hell.
I told my girl to "be the bike" (get your minds out of the gutter), but she already knew how to pillion.

If she had acted like you describe, Vash, I'd have kicked her off there and then and told her to walk home. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts