Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know or heard anything about Hotbodies undertail exhaust? I was thinking about changing the stock exhaust on my '05 R6 and this looked interesting.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mstrand_68 said:
I heard they are loud. For looks only. Their exhaust is shit on performance. I will admit they look cool though.

-M-
Well Im not going to forgo any performance for looks...I just want something other than the huge stock exhaust.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Friend has one on his 03 gsx-r 600. Can't say I really notice much of a different sound, however I havent been around long enough too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
seems to me that over time, the plastic would de-form. if you dont want the bulky stocker on there, there are other options for a smaller exhaust, cheaper, and more performance. it looks trick though, just isnt my style

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
conrice said:
seems to me that over time, the plastic would de-form. if you dont want the bulky stocker on there, there are other options for a smaller exhaust, cheaper, and more performance. it looks trick though, just isnt my style
I was wondering if it would melt the plastic myself, I dont see how it cant with that small of room and very little air passing over it to help lower the temps.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I'm not saying the plastic wont deform, but its definetly possible to make it so that it wont. The long pipe curling around the swing arm acts as a cooler, so that the muffler doesnt heat up as much. Combine the ceramic insulation, and ABS suprisingly high softening point, and its possible to make something that will work just fine. Of course its also possible to make something that wont.

Personally, I think $800 is way too much for a cool looking slip on, that makes no power improvments..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Without creating a entirely new thread, what kind of exhaust would you all recommend? I want something that is black (either carbon fiber, or just black). I really like the tri-oval look. What are some brands/models to check out, what are some to stay away from?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Most brands offer CF cans. Personally, I'm a big fan of muzzy's sounds (a low rumble at idle, and a screamer at the top) yoshimura is good and has that tri oval thing, but its one of the quieter AM exhausts. Micron has colored cans which look pretty cool, Havent heard anything bad about hindle, leo vanes, or arata.
The ones I avoid are D&D (posers favorite) and two brothers
I will never buy another vanes and hines. I had a set of megaphone pipes that werent properly coated and started rusting after only a month. I was told it was my own fault.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hmmm, I had a Vance and Hines titanium on my yzf and even still today it looks new. I have even taken it apart 10 times screwing with the packing to make it sound different. Guess I got their 1 out of 10...

-M-

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Whats wrong with D & D Vash? I'm thinking about getting their slip on for my bike. I cant get my hands on the Akra for under $600, and my only other options are D&D, Kerker, Vance & Hines (which I dont like either), and Micron (which look like crap and dont due much for performance from what I can find).

Sepias

Sorry for the hijack

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
My personal opinion is that D&D is about as poser as strobe lights. The pipes sounds like a pissed off bumble bee in a coke can at speed, and even worse at idle. Havent seen their perfomance figures, I doubt they will be anything to brag about. Then again, who gets a slip on for performance?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
On the 03' R6 they add around 4 HP between 5-7k and about 10 ft/lbs of torque. Which of the above slip-ons would you reccomend, aside form the Akra.

Sepias

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I wouldnt. 2 reasons.
1. If you want performance, get a full system. There is more to power than peak figures, and slip ons rarely take care of leanspots.
2. If 90% of the riders cant advantage of the power their bike is putting out, what the point of adding another 4hp? Will you even notice the 5% difference? Or is it just for bragging rights? And if bragging rights are the reason, ask yourself, are you really impressed by someone who put a can on their bike?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'm more into the HP as an added bonus. I dont want to buy something thats going to drop my HP, but it would be hard to get worse that my V&H. The D&D satin black looks great, but I dont know the build quality and what not. I've opted out of a full system because it would drop my EX-up and make my low end even worse in most cases.

Sepias

·
Registered
699 Posts
My room-mate has that exact exhaust on his gixxer 1000. It is pretty loud, and not the deep loud. It's the annoying loud. (Don't know if that is spelled correctly). It looks awsome. The plastic has never melted. He did use fiberglass header rap on the pipe though. The pipe does get very hot and the muffler is so small, that I can't believe they even call it a muffler. So If you like real loud (D&D Pipe type of loud) then it is your type of exhaust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i've been thinking about getting it myself, it looks great IMO but then again even though my bike is more than fast enough stock i still dont like the idea of hurting performance for asthetics. so i'm still torn on the exhaust subject. i think i'm just going to look for a a full exhaust system. to hell with the asthetics give me more power and sound. as long as it doesnt look like a down grade from the stock exhaust (which i dig) then i'm good to go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts