Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,my 84 Intercepter runs up to 3/4 on the temp guage and being a "car" guy this makes me a little nervous.I have had bikes before but they were air cooled.As far as I can tell it has a 50/50 antifreze mix.The fan does kick on but It makes me nervous,The rad. is full as is the oil.Is this hot temp guage just the nature of the beast.I did power wash all the bugs out of both radiators.I also plan to change oil tomorrow any suggestions I use mobil 1 15-50 in my race cars.The bike is a very "clean" one and would have a hard time beliving that It is a head gasket or something....Plese help...NEIL

------------------
1984 1000 HONDA INTERCEPTER

·
Registered
517 Posts
Seems like on my VWs, there is some test for temp sender like boiling it or applying certain voltage to gauge and checking reading.

For what it's worth, my CBR reads anything from 1/3 warm to 2/3 warm all the time, varying slightly with ambient temp, but more with riding style. When it gets hot, fan comes on, temp goes down and cycle goes on. I would think that if fan kicks on and your gauge shows temp drop to 50% as fan shuts off, you should be fine.

Perfect time for shop manual.

------------------

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
When you are riding and notice that the temp is that high, is this highway riding with a lot of airflow or slower city riding? Standard for air cooled motors is they get hotter faster in the city and take longer to cool down. My 900SS is air cooled and will reach 3/4 or so and even edge up higher in stop and go traffic. On the highway it will lower down to a little above 1/2-3/4. Maybe a radiator flush is in order due to the age of the bike?

------------------
If if if....
If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumps!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
For what its worth I had a 1985 VF500F Interceptor and I installed a switch so I could turn the fan on when I wanted and still retained the factory set-up too! It helped in slow around traffic. Peace of mind for an inexpensive switch!! :) :) :)
Make sure the factory fan shroud is okay an the radiator is clear of bugs,leafs etc.too! :D
JIM

------------------

·
Registered
987 Posts
Judging from the liquid cooled bikes I've owned, I'd say that anywhere between 1/4 & 3/4 or slightly more is normal operating temp, assuming that 3/4 is not when you're driving down the freeway. If it cools down quickly once you start moving, don't worry.

------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts