Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By summer I mean humidity 98%, need gills to breathe, 98 deg outside with heat index 110 deg. None of this wussy MA, CT, NY, CO, IA summer crap, I'm talking real louisiana gumbo summers.

Let's say something has to go (to avoid death by heat). Assuming both are important, which should go first, jacket or pants. Which do you think helps the most in the event of a crash.

S

·
0 Posts
Robert said:

The first thing I would lose are my pants. (No comments from the peanut gallery!) ;)
Peanuts ... Don't flatter yourself :rolleyes: ;) :D
(I wasn't gonna say anything but you put the "peanut" thing in there ;) )

The humidity is bad here also, at night you have to pant like a dog to breathe, sticky hot summers ... Can't wait.

·
Registered
279 Posts
yea i agree with the loss of pants. here in 'burque the heat gets to 95-105 in the summer. nothing makes you sweat like a nice dry heat. i figure if i'm going down its probably gonna be elbows and toes or on my back, so keep the coat but skip the flip-flops.

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
My $.02

It gets about 110 here, but there are so many trees that you don't really notice it. Of course when your boot starts melting, then you know it is hot. I have riden my bike maybe 3 times in shorts, and that was just around the block. I very rarely ride in shorts. I felt stupid when I rode wearing a pair of Vans.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wear khaki pants most of the time, even in the heat, I just don't see them providing any more protection than shorts though...

I was thinking lose the pants first but I read this in the Hunt Study

36. Half of the injuries to the somatic regions were to the ankle-foot, lower leg, knee, and thigh-upper leg

So I am thinking maybe pants are more important?? Though that is a bizarre stat....if 50% are to the legs then I only assume the other 50% are to the upper body? Which would make it a preference game, which is more important to you legs or arms. I'm not sure...

·
Registered
193 Posts
I will ditch my pants long before my jacket for the simple fact that your vital organs are in the upper body. Well...let me expand on that. I have a 3/4 jacket that helps protect the MOST vital organ.:D:D:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Granted regular khakis or jeans would not help in the event of a accident with sliding involved, it does help for protection in terms of engine heat or "wind burn". Ever have loose gravel smack your shin while doing 60+mph on a 110F day? That feels pretty nice... :rolleyes:

Be Safe!
-R

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Solution...

In the summer heat, I wear the *Dainese S-Jacket Air*.
You can wear just a light, long-sleeve t-shirt over it, or even a short-sleeve tee. It has full armor and a built in back protector that unzips so you can use it when wearing leathers. I've had mine for a couple years and love it.

Here's a picture and link where you can buy it.
http://www.motorace.com/body_safety/index.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Squidwannabe said:
Wow Paul, is that you in the pic ?? You must get all the chicks..
Nope, not moi. It's RCJohn, but I distorted the picture vertically by 75%. He's looking pretty hot!:D:D

As for all the chicks...yep.

This one time, in Arkansas...:D

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well. What is most important, and what I lose are two different things. I have scuffed my jacket once a bit in 4 get offs, but every time I end up sliding ony my pants a lot. I think that leather pants as far as statistically, must be better to have, but usually when you want to wear one less thing, losing the cumbersome and non-removable when you stop pants are the choice.

That said, both are quite important, I can't imagine going down at high speed without one or the other, skin grafts would be a definite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts