Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have a disagreement about whether ketchup belongs on hot dogs. I grew up in the Chicago area, which I consider the capital of hot dogs, and had always known, almost inherently, that it was sacrilegious to put ketchup on a hot dog.

She claims there's nothing wrong with that, and that my very suggestion is sacrilegious all on it own:eek:

Very briefly I was going to make this a poll, but seeing as how most older members blast polls, I opted for more conventional routes.

So, do you or don't you? Am I right or wrong?

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
You're wrong, she's right. Ketchup can go on almost anything. :thumb:

My father-in-law imparted a few pearls of wisdom to me.

First: The secret to a long and happy marriage can be explained in two words.

"Yes dear."

Second: Never mess with the person who controls half the money and all the pussy.

Note: A friend said that if you're Italian, the saying is: Never mess with the person who controls half the money and most of the pussy.

Apply as necessary.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
kanwisch said:
My wife and I have a disagreement about whether ketchup belongs on hot dogs. I grew up in the Chicago area, which I consider the capital of hot dogs, and had always known, almost inherently, that it was sacrilegious to put ketchup on a hot dog.

She claims there's nothing wrong with that, and that my very suggestion is sacrilegious all on it own:eek:

Very briefly I was going to make this a poll, but seeing as how most older members blast polls, I opted for more conventional routes.

So, do you or don't you? Am I right or wrong?
It all depends where you're from I guess. I always put ketchup on hot dogs unless I went to Cleveland, then I'd put onions and chili and cheese and jesus I am hungry now.......

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Re: Re: Hot dogs and ketchup (or catsup)

Slip-On Rapist said:
It all depends where you're from I guess. I always put ketchup on hot dogs unless I went to Cleveland, then I'd put onions and chili and cheese and jesus I am hungry now.......
How does jesus taste?

Ketchup is only one small part of the perfect dog. It's gotta have chili, cheese, onions, relish, mustard, ketchup, sour kraut, jalapenos, etc.

Damnit, I want to go to Broadripple in Indy now and hit one of the 3 am hot dog vendors.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Dogs and ketchup. They were created for each other. Need I say more? :D

Last time I went to Chicago, my cousin took me to this in-the-hole hot stand (we've eaten there as kids but I couldn't remember what it tasted like from 15-20 years prior). I put the usual things on it, katchup, mustard, relish, had to skip the onions that day. Can't remember what she put on her's or left off, but she didn't say or note anything wrong with mine. :confused:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
DaDuck748 said:
Dogs and ketchup. They were created for each other. Need I say more? :D

Last time I went to Chicago, my cousin took me to this in-the-hole hot stand (we've eaten there as kids but I couldn't remember what it tasted like from 15-20 years prior). I put the usual things on it, katchup, mustard, relish, had to skip the onions that day. Can't remember what she put on her's or left off, but she didn't say or note anything wrong with mine. :confused:
I cant believe this is a subject of controversy:rolleyes: A hotdog isnt complete without ketchup:thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
ketchup is good on hotdogs but the best thing is pineapple sauce :drool: lol i know it sounds nasty but ITS THE BEST! i tryed it in a spanish country so if u ever find that sauce ur prety lucky

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I think, eventually, everything becomes a combination.

I was at a buddy's place the other night and he served me "rose pedal" ice cream. Erm... yep, tasted like - well - what rose pedals might taste like if you were to eat them. :rolleyes:

Someday, there will be chocolate sauce for hotdogs. :laughing: It's all up to those who want to make a buck by introducing something new...

...but back to the dogs... ketchup. YES.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Your first mistake was thinking Chicago was the capital of hot dogs!!!!

Every hear of a place called Coney Island, NY????

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Hot dog with ketchup = good
Hot dog with ketchup/pickles/oninons = better
Hot dog with chilli = awesome
Hot dog with chilli and cheese = frickin awesome

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I always saw hot dogs as condiment binder.;) Exceptions can be made for specialty dogs and special preparation but the general variety from the grocery store NEED condiments.

Ketchup and sweet pickle relish OR brown mustard work for the quick dog.:)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Did you all know that the reason Ballpark hotdogs "plump when you cook 'em" is because they put traces of volcanic ash in the hotdog that somehow makes it expand?

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I will clearly have to admit that the use of ketchup is NOT sacrilegious, but I still think it ruins the taste of the dog, which puts me into a tiny minority.

For HiG4:
No, a Coney Island dog is far different from a hot dog. A traditional hot dog is different from a coney dog in the same way its different from a corndog. Yeah, they still have the same basis, but the final product is vastly different. Chili is NOT a condiment, so adding it to a hot dog makes the hot dog a different style of meal.

After all, saying a coney dog = hot dog is like saying that steak = ground beef. After all, they have the same basic ingredient, right?

Also, I said
which I consider the capital of hot dogs
meaning its total opinion. That's based on the fact that Chicago was the capital of the meat/pork packing industry for many decades. But that is a fair angle and there's support for the contention that hot dogs came from the Northeast originally (well, aside from Europe).

Thanks all for entertaining one of my odd personality quirks :D

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Slip-On Rapist said:
Did you all know that the reason Ballpark hotdogs "plump when you cook 'em" is because they put traces of volcanic ash in the hotdog that somehow makes it expand?
:wtf:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Kevlar7R said:
I'll just enter my quick opinion. Ketchup is nasty! It doesn't matter what you put it on.
And you call yourself an American? :twofinger

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
DaDuck748 said:
And you call yourself an American? :twofinger
Anti-American:rolleyes: , if we had state food products like we do state birds/flowers and such ketchup would sure as hell be in the top five choices.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The statement is easily understood, its the twisted mass of mush in your head that conjure's up that shit that Im having a hard time with.......my condolences and sympathy's to you my friend:rolleyes: :twofinger .

1 - 20 of 55 Posts