Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
poor asimo, that looked like he broke his ankle. at least he was wearing his gear though.

·
Registered
892 Posts
for one of asimo's frequent trips to the floor....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Vash said:
same robot different video

In particular, watch the last 16 seconds.
Absolutely amazing. I would love to sit down with those devolopers over a beer or two, pull out the schematics and drawings, and pick their brains. Man, I'm a geek!

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
DocThee said:
Absolutely amazing. I would love to sit down with those devolopers over a beer or two, pull out the schematics and drawings, and pick their brains. Man, I'm a geek!
Chances are, they are too :D

I wish they'd find a better way to power that thing than the two stroke motor. The annoying noise just takes away from the accomplishment. I mean, you cant have something all high tech and space age sound like a weedwhacker, can you?
Look around for their other robot "little dog" its smaller, plastic, and quiet!

·
Premium Member
4,824 Posts
Vash said:
Chances are, they are too :D

I wish they'd find a better way to power that thing than the two stroke motor. The annoying noise just takes away from the accomplishment. I mean, you cant have something all high tech and space age sound like a weedwhacker, can you?
Look around for their other robot "little dog" its smaller, plastic, and quiet!
Yeah, in time I'm sure. It's likely the technology will come first, then figure out a way to power it. I'm sure those batteries that need to power it weigh much more than a 2-stroke. They are on the right track though, and I am eager to see the end result, whenever that may be.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
DocThee said:
Yeah, in time I'm sure. It's likely the technology will come first, then figure out a way to power it. I'm sure those batteries that need to power it weigh much more than a 2-stroke. They are on the right track though, and I am eager to see the end result, whenever that may be.
While reading up on this beast, I got the impression that the engineers were more focused on control than practicality. The whole thing is a proof of concept, not a developed prototype. So it was easier to go with a simple, existing method of power generation, and concentrate on developing a control algorithm. Trying to tackle the controls, and invent a new power generation might be biting more than they could chew. After all this company does not have the resources of honda to back it up.
What further impresses me is that this thing uses hydraulics to actuate the legs. For the uninitiated: Most industrial and research robots are actuated with servo motors, which are electrical. They are fast and extremly accurate. Hydraulics are used in heavy equipment (bulldozers and such). They are typically extremly powerfull, but slow, and far from accurate. Getting this machine to balance so well on "muscles" that are slow and inacurate only makes their achievement that much greater.

·
Registered
165 Posts
hydrolics can also work in a limited fashion as shock absorbers so their is a little benefit to using them over stepping motors and servos, besides the obvious improvements in weight capacity.

I wonder who the first person to ride it was, and you just know someone has.

I really think that legs for robots should be reserved for urban and domestic robotic applications, it doesn't make sense to me what benefits this could have in a military situation over the progress that DARPA is making with the grand challenge. legs are limited and so we invented the wheel, it seams like reinventing legs is a step backwards, but this is the best working demonstration I have seen of a robot with legs. Big kudos to the programmers on this project.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
SexieWASD said:
I really think that legs for robots should be reserved for urban and domestic robotic applications, it doesn't make sense to me what benefits this could have in a military situation over the progress that DARPA is making with the grand challenge. legs are limited and so we invented the wheel, it seams like reinventing legs is a step backwards, but this is the best working demonstration I have seen of a robot with legs. Big kudos to the programmers on this project.
Are you kidding me? We invented the wheel cause the leg is just too damn complicated. The grand challange was awesome and all, but wheels require roads, or at least some semi flat ground. How do you haul cargo over some mountainy region of afghanistan? You cant really match the leg in terms of off road mobility. But when it comes to speed and efficiency, the wheel has an advantage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts