Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the main difference in the CBR600R and F4i' s aside from the slight appearance difference

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
F4i's are old tech. They have been making them since 2001. RR's have a much more aggressive seating position because its a Race Replica bike. F4's have a relaxed seating position and is more oriented as a daily street bike. RR is race tuned with more power.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would you say its significant performance difference?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
if your new to bikes, you won't know the difference. The performance is much better on the RR, it can corner easier and a lot smoother than the F4. The F4 weights more as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think the f4i would be a much better street bike if you'd be using it for transportation, passengers and fun. The rr would make a better track or race bike.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
it really depends on your riding style. If you like twisties, get the RR. If you like crusing around town, get an f4i. Also, you pay a premium with RR's. Parts are much more expensive. F4i's are more abundant and are cheaper bikes (like around 8 grand new compared to 9-10 for RR) Up to you.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
JBaz said:
if your new to bikes, you won't know the difference. The performance is much better on the RR, it can corner easier and a lot smoother than the F4. The F4 weights more as well.
Not really, check some reputable stats, you'll see 03-04 RR weighs more than F4-F4i. Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's lighter. RR achieves greater cornering prowess through other means. RR is also peakier, but it's a bit abrupt with EFI on 03-04 compared to F4i and F4 (carbs were still the smoothest during EFI's earlier stage). And then '05-06 600RR is significantly different from 03-04, I have no idea what the wet weight of 05-06 is, but I am guessing it's still around 430ish pounds. The F4s will have more usable midrange for street. Newer doesn't mean it's better every way, but it's better most ways for the track. Although it's one of those little nits most of us wouldn't notice, but when you're making a pitch, it's important to say in comparative context.

But RR is definitely a better bike.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In '05 & '06 the bikes stayed the same. Being the F4i was & is 370 lbs dry weight while the CBR600RR is & was 361 lbs dry weight. So very close.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Weight doesn't really effect the average rider, expecially if its just a few pounds. RR was and still is my dream bike. If I didn't like the RR's I wouldn't have bought a new engine for her.

·
Registered
892 Posts
if you plan on going to the track on any regular basis then ya, get the RR. if not get the f4i espicially if u plan on riding almost everyday, still an aggressive bike, just slightly easier on on the body. oh and the one piece seat on the newer models is WAY better on the arse for both rider and passenger.

·
Registered
295 Posts
well i have an f4i for my first bike, and no complaints really kinda wish it had a lil more power between 5-7 k but thats ok. i was thinking about gettting an rr next year as my bike i keep for a while.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
361 lbs my ass! the rr is more like 430 man....dont know where u get your info.

i have an rr, and i had a f4 (carbed) and ive ridden plenty of f4i's.

whoever said the rr has more power, stick your foot in your mouth. ok maybe it has a little more hp (not much, check dyno sheets) its so damn weak until you hit 10k rpms. also, check the 1/4 time numbers for the bike and the speed...who won? oh shit, the f4i did!

not to knock the rr, cause i love the bike (not to mention it looks a hell of a lot cooler than the f4i), but honda really didnt go forward technologically. the f4i is way better of a streetbike. passengers will be more comfortable, and the f4i is actually more powerful than the rr in the lower rpm's, so city driving (especially with the passenger) is a lot easier on a f4i. the f4i actually weighs less. look at the swingarm on a rr....oooooh its GP style, cool, but it weighs 3 times as much as a conventional swingarm.

since i have an rr and can contest to these, i think the rr is old school still. i think honda is way behind every other company. i get on my rr, and it feels like im back on my old f4, only more uncomfortable.

if you want a bike with power everywhere, get yourself a 636. i picked one up, and i wont even barely get back on the rr. it doesnt even compare. or check out a newer r6, they are awesome too, even the 04's and 05's. hell id even take a new gixxer over the rr.

the facts on the rr is this....it is the weakest and heaviest out of all the 600cc "ss" bikes, literally. it has the lowest peak hp and weighs the most. dont believe me, look it up yourself.

if you stick with honda, and you really want the best "street bike", get an f4i. if you want a bike that looks cool as hell, get a rr.

if you want a real bike, get something else.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Neller I got the statistics from Cycle Canada of the '05 & '06 bikes & it is the info used on all other bikes. What the makers claim. What it weighs full of fuel & such will be different.

Like I have a '97 Yamaha YZF600r with dry weight of 412, a '00 Honda 929 of 372 lbs & a '03 Honda 954 of 370 lbs all makers claimed dry weight & same in claimed HP & such.

I weigh my bikes with almost a full tank of fuel on the big scales as used by fruit orchardists & believe me 18 or 19 Liter of petrol in the tank makes all bikes HEAVY in comparison to mfg DRY WEIGHT.

You can only go by the info feed out by the maker & the m/c mags cannot claim different figures or the manufacture will raise stink with the to even drop some good advertising the had offered.

Reason Honda has hung onto the F4i is because they were honking up is hot trotting bikes to quickly for Suzy & Kwacker had hung onto their 500cc vertical twins that sold so well for beginners & next came the Suzy SV-650 & NOW Kwacker with the 650 being idel next step up bikes.

ALSO both Yamaha & Kwacker hung onto their good sportbikes of around 90s (to progress with club like racing irons--for instance the Yamaha R6 & continued to upgrade it in the next few yrs yet still kept on making the '97 bike as a next step up m/c) being the Yamaha YZF600R & Kwacker Zx-6R though now it is the ZZ-R600. Honda had NOTHING so they took their hottest trotting 600, gave it a better mid-range engine, put a dual saddle on it &--------well you get the picture. So in reality the Yamaha YZF600r, Kwacker ZZR-600, & present Honda CBF4i are now closer togeather with the Honda being the hottest of the three yet not as extreme as the RR model.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
hmm smitty although i cant barely ever understand what you are saying, i get what you mean.

i believe that gas weighs a lot, im assuming cycleworld and the other reviewers probably weighed it with a full tank, but im not positive. all i know is the rr was the heaviest ss bike.

and about the yzf600, zzr600, and f4i, yes you are exactly correct. those are the "sport touring" bikes on the market now, even though all are just revamped old models. for instance the yzf600 is just prettier looking than it was back in 1998 lol, but its the same bike. the zzr600 is the zx6r you are right, before they got the new style in 03, and the f4i is, well, still a f4i, however the zzr600 is the only one to sport a split seat anymore like you said, the f4i went back to a banana seat in...03 or 04, dont remember. i think it was just to make the rr more marketable as honda's "race replica" bike, and to make a big difference in looks between the f4i and rr. the yzf600 is the same thing, a banana seat to make it an obvious difference from the r6, and kawasaki really doesnt care because the difference in the zzr600 and zx6r are completely obvious.

but again, back to scotts rr v. f4i question, basically dude just ride both, or atleast sit on both. im tellin you right now the f4i is way more upright, relaxed, and comfortable. but if you love the looks of the rr, get it, its honda's latest and greatest. BUT its not the latest and greatest out there. do your research, read reviews (even though often reviews are one sided because the people reviewing them have only ridden that bike). i would suggest going to cycleworld's website and pull up the 600 shootout from 03, 04, 05, or 06 or whatever (dont know if you want a used or new) and see what the pro riders and magazine editors say about the bike, cause they will give you a better idea than most people on this board can give, because they have ridden more bikes than probably any of us, including smitty lol. so check it out, and good luck.

·
Registered
295 Posts
ok so first things first gas = 7lbs per gallon.

next lots of good info in here about the rr vs f4i. i was thinking of getting an rr for my next bike prolly an 05 or somthing but you sound like you really dont care for them :( i love my f4i but it just has 20k miles on it and has been dropped by previous owner so i kind of want somthing newer and less beat up i guess with less miles.

i cant stand kawi's so that leaves me with rr which i like honda bikes been on a buddys 954 as well. or yamaha, which i like how they look but dont know much about them.

im kinda just rambling on go ahead and input some things :)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi Neller0414-

Why did you purchase a Honda CBR 600RR with those performance features you find unattractive in terms of weight and horsepower? I'm guessing it was due to the solid Honda dealer network along with their high-quality fit and finish?

:confused:

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
wow, wasn't expecting this much help, but thanks a lot, I think im going to be leaning towards the f4i because of the fact im 6'5" and so a more relaxed style will probalby be more comfortable (however the 05 r6 felt comfortable to me also) but i dont plan i track racing it, however i do love speed, but you guys are all agreeing its still got great power for a 600, i do want a fuel injected bike so definatly the f4i not the f4 but i dont want that damned banana seat, so looks like '01 02 is wheree i should be looking and thats closest to my price range, too bad illinois is the most expensive bike resale state in the damn country... i can find all these bikes for 1000 1500 less in practically any other state aside from the illinois and bordering states, id have one shipped if i werent so nervous about sight on seen buying :( thanks a lot for the help

1 - 20 of 30 Posts