1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Motorcycles October 19, 2005

Honda Introduces “DN-01” Concept Motorcycle at Tokyo Motor Show,
A Large-size Sports Bike with an Automatic Transmission

TOKYO, Japan, October 19, 2005 - At the 39th Tokyo Motor Show 2005, Honda Motor Co., Ltd. today introduced a large-size sports motorcycle concept model, DN-01*, equipped with a continuously variable automatic transmission and a water-cooled, 4-stroke, OHC, V-type, 2-cylinder, 680cc engine. Honda will continue the development of DN-01 with the goal of introducing it to the market in the near future.

DN-01 is being developed in the concept of a comfortable sports cruiser, with the goal of creating new value for the customer by proposing a new level of riding pleasure. The newly adopted hydraulic mechanical continuously variable HFT (Human Fitting Transmission) system features two types of full automatic modes as well as a 6-speed manual mode which the rider operates through buttons located on the handle. Moreover, this is the first hydraulic mechanical continuously variable transmission system in the world to be equipped with a lock-up mechanism, which improves the fuel efficiency while offering a smooth ride without feeling the shock normally associated with gear shifts, even when cornering. With the HFT, the DN-01 achieves more easy-to-operate and comfortable riding than currently available sports model motorcycles.

The 39th Tokyo Motor Show 2005 will open its doors to the general public beginning Saturday, October 22, in Makuhari, Chiba. Honda will present a motorcycle display booth with the theme of “Dream Wings.” The theme represents Honda’s effort to make people-motorcycle relationships more dream-inspiring and to propose a new level of riding pleasure with new values Honda will create.
*DN-01 stands for the first (01) vehicle developed under Honda’s Dream New (DN) concept

http://world.honda.com/news/2005/2051019.html

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
While I'm all for technological improvments, this is not a sportbike.
Its a product of a VFR getting raped by a Rune.
The wheelbase looks to be in the 60" range, rake in the 30+deg, and no clipons. Plus with the steel frame, the thing looks like it weighs a ton. And if that wasnt bad enough.. It has an auto transmition!

Just takes all the fun out of it

·
Registered
980 Posts
Not the first automatic transmittion for a bike either. There were a few many years back but they never got popular. I don't think they worked very well. However honda is always comming up with all kinds of crazy shit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
+1 to Vash

You can definatly see the new Rune look throughout the bike. It has the same handlegrips and of course the exaust. I dont like it much, controlling the RPM's is why sportbikes are fun to ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It does look comfy though. :)

Unless the gas prices really climb over here I can't see this bike taking off. Like most of the replies on here I believe that manually selecting the gears is essential to the sport bike fun. And as stated before, that's no sport bike. It's a bike, but not a sport bike.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Electrodynamic said:
...Unless the gas prices really climb over here...
You live somewhere that gas prices arent climbing at?

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is hands down the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Who ever came up with that concept should die. Can you imagine the next time you are in the twisties and you get stuck behing one of those. :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
1percenter said:
Die evel mini-Goldwing,rune raped, fun lacking, stupid transmission having poser fuck:finger:
Tell us how you are really feeling.

·
Premium Member
7,434 Posts
1percenter said:
Die evel mini-Goldwing,rune raped, fun lacking, stupid transmission having poser fuck:finger:
Come on, don't sugar coat it so much. Tell us how you really feel about it. :D

BTW, I pretty much agree. This thing is, in a word, repulsive.

Edit: Damn, vash beat me to it. :twofinger

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think I just had a mini episode. Hey get this thing off of me, it is way hard to type with my nose. get that needle away from me....ah, oh........feeling sleepy

·
Registered
116 Posts
GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:barf: :barf: :barf:
Look at me on my poser looking sportbike! I am a rich Yuppie who can't ride for shit, but I want a bike that looks like a sportbike even though I don't know how to ride! I can't wait until I have her slightly leaned over in a curve and she downshifts on me and shoots me straight off the side of an f***ing cliff so I can give her a proper burial

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
slick1537 said:
Not the first automatic transmittion for a bike either. There were a few many years back but they never got popular. I don't think they worked very well. However honda is always comming up with all kinds of crazy shit.
ahh....the old hondamatics...havent been around since i was born!!

if they do a smaller version of this bike, say a 600-ish v-twin, auto trans, but better looking, i can honestly say that will most likely be my girlfriends (prob at that time my wife OH GOD) first and only bike

she always complains about shifting, shes like "cant i just get a bike that shifts by itself, its just so pointless, i just want to hit the gas and go" i try to teach her to drive stick and ride a bike too, but shes horrible, i dont think i would ever even want her on a real bike....ninja 250 maybe, but still auto would be great for her, plus she wants the "sportbike" look, so if they make that thing smaller and lighter, here comes my checkbook

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
oh and btw, no way is that a sportbike, and i would never be caught dead on one.....

BUT

its a sporty-ish cruiser i would say, and in that category i think it looks pretty decent for that, and i do absolutely LOVE runes, so this bike is okay, but fu(k auto trans, and fu(k me if someone calls that a sportbike!

but id still rather have a yam road star warrior as a sport cruiser oooooooh yeah

·
Registered
577 Posts
glorified scooter, :eek: :barf2: might be fun to commute on.

i'd love to have an auto or simi auto tranny on my motorcycle, its a real pain in the wrist and leg when you've been riding hard in the twisties for a few hours. :2cents:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts