Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider and I have never been on a bike before today.I've been reading posts on this site for a month or so , and have learned a lot ( a lot of information, not skill). I met someone today that is selling his 94 f2. I have several questions about this situation.

1. He has had an F3 decal kit put on. It looks good , and fooled me, but i wouldnt knwo the difference anyway. Is that tacky , or an insult to someone who actually has an F3?

2. The odometer seems to have "fallen into the gauges" as he says , and tells me that it has about 12k miles. I asked him for some sort of proof , which he then could not provide. do you think this is a scam?

3. I rode the bike , it runs/rides fine ( for what i know). I went about a quarter mile down the street, made a utrn in the road and came back. It was a little awkward turning out of the drive way, but wasnt too bad. I gave it a little gas and I went faster. I only put it into 2nd gear when riding , and im not even sure of how high i put the RPM's. To cut to the chase I was comfortable riding it.

4. I looked at the blue book value, $3025, and informed him that i did. He told me that he wanted 3500, and i told him again that the blue book was only 3025. he told me that he wouldnt sell it for less that 3200. I've looked at other f2/f3's and i did notice that it was way too much in comparison to others.He told me it was because of the season and its warming up and all bikes will sell for more that the BB. True or false?

WHERE CAN I GET INFO ON MSF. I HAVENT TAKEN IT, BUT NEED TO. WHAT DO YOU LEARN , HOW LONG IS IT, ETC.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i would keep looking if he cant prove the milage that is a good sign to run and run fast there are others out there just keep looking.

·
Registered
609 Posts
If the mileage is unknown, the bike is not worth typical market value.

Other than book value, you can do a search on ebay for "completed items" for that year bike. See how much others are selling for. If he is firm on a price you could pick up another for with legit mileage, I'd pass on this one.

(by the way, I don't think the sticker kit is a big deal...if it looks better, it looks better)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
CBR F2

1. No.

2. Sketchy.

3. 1/2 mile test ride isn't enought to test much.

4. False. The price is too high, especially without proof of mileage.

The CBR F2 and F3's are great used bike buys. But they are easy to find and I'd keep on looking.

·
Registered
251 Posts
sold my F2 3450 had 11,800 miles on it
I think there great bikes it was my first bike and I couldnt of asked for anything better

·
Registered
577 Posts
I know someone with an f2 with 140,000 miles on it. If he can't show proof of milage look elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
btw, the kbb value is actually 2400ish. I have a 94 honda cbr600 f2 btw. I bought it last year for 2500 bucks in mint condition with just 12k miles on the engine. I wouldn't pay more than 1500 for that bike with all the crap not working. I'm about to sell my F2 here in NC for about 2000-2200 bucks with a new paint job.

IMHO, don't get that particular f2, cbr600's of that era were most popular 600 sports bike so its easy to fine old cbr's around. They are great starter bikes as I learned off my F2. F2 and F3's are almost exactly the same. Only differences is the plastic pieces and the F3 has a crude form of RAM air intake.

To give you some examples of price ranges for 3-3.5 grand, you could get anything between late 90's to early 2000 bikes with some scratches on the farings. If this is going to be your first bike, I'd suggest get good working, but not mint farings as you will lay it down at some point. I've seen a 99 yamaha r6 go for 3 grand around my area. I also bought an 04 cbr600rr for 2 grand(wrecked but working) and I'm buying an 04 gsxr600(wrecke but working) this friday.

So keep on looking. If he's not slashing his price by half, find another bike.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Go along with the others. So when you get your first bike & any bike after it start a simple log book. Us a normal three leaf folder with lined pages. One vetical line for date, another for milage, another for fuel record, another for trip meter at the time, & the other 75% for any other info.

Dot down the date, then the milage, of fuel milage when you fill up the bike, also the trip meter reading then set the trip meter to 000, rest recording that the only thing that day, to the few days you did not ride the bike are not recorded, or milage was possibly adjusting the rear chain to something simple like washing the bike to major bit like a new tyre & what it was. To even a stupid fall of the bike at nil speed.

So when you go to sell the possibly 'used' bike you bought or possibly a bike you have had since day one THEN your log book will tell it all if the prospective buyer is interested.

I also have a decent m/c mag write-up of the bike next to the log book so said buyer can read about the 7 yr old bike you have had for said 7 yrs for many do not know how it was looked upon by those that tested the bike back some yrs ago.

On the first & main page I have several photos of the bike in my driveway, also the LP number along with the decal number of the LP of that yr (a must in B.C. Cdn), S/N of the bike & such which also means original sale of the bike.

Here in Cdn we have to store our bikes away in the winter time so I record the date of storage along with when I start folling the next season with some big lines drawen across the page so I will not make an error on data like I have three bikes of '97, '00, & '04 that I have been riding though each has their own part in the simple log book.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The guy selling called me back today, and offered it to me for 2900. I declined and told him I wasnt intrested anymore due to the odometer and no proof of mileage. He got kinda pissy about it , but thats how it works. I'm still looking

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought my 98 F3 in September this last year with 8,900 miles for 3400. (Private Owner) Ran perfect and looked pretty good for a 98 as well (just a few scrapes/scratches. Thought it might add some perspective to your search. I love it by the way.............

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
man farm j, that is a really nice bike...i will probably be lookin for one in july for about 3000....hope i can get one somewhat close to that. Nice bike man.

·
Registered
61 Posts
m3atwad said:
man farm j, that is a really nice bike...i will probably be lookin for one in july for about 3000....hope i can get one somewhat close to that. Nice bike man.
Thanks alot. It has been good to me so far. In your search know what your lookin at, start early, take your time and be patient. I found mine on ebay then after emailing the dude a couple times I went to his house and made the deal offline. Since I was knew to sportbikes I brought a knowledable friend with me. Best advice in making a good deal though is bring cash. If you need to borrow from a bank or a brother it doesn't matter but if you show up with cash it will put you in a good position. Nothin I'm sure you don't already know. Best of luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts