Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hmmmm. Seems if anything has two wheels everyone accuses everyone of stealing design cues. To me the front looks nothing like the R6, unless having two headlights, a nose, and a windshield looking the same, heh. I have not seen a bike with the alien/cat-eye look from the factory like this. I think it looks new gsx-r nose point like if anything.

Anyhow, I think the front looks awesome, a LONG LONG overdue nose redesign for the F series. I don't like how all the brands keep sharing color schemes across platforms though. The red and white F4i looks just like a 929 from the side, kinda like the blue/white suzi's, and blue r1/r6. I think bikes should stand out. When someone sees your flagship bike they should instantly know what model it is by the color scheme. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob Nance said:
I don't like how all the brands keep sharing color schemes across platforms though. The red and white F4i looks just like a 929 from the side...I think bikes should stand out. When someone sees your flagship bike they should instantly know what model it is by the color scheme.
I agree. That's why I LOVE the Silver/Blk and Red/Blk. Both color combos not being offered by any of the other Japanese factories; to my knowledge. I believe Suzuki stopped producing their Red/Blk 600, and Kawi's and Yami's are Red and Red/Wht respectively, right? I think the new schemes are pretty bitchin'!

My $.02

·
Registered
766 Posts
Damnit, these communists at work have motorcycle.com blocked!!! I'll have to wait until I get home. At least I can waste time here with you good people.:D:D

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I met a guy last weekend who had his TL1000 painted dark blue. When it came back it was actually periwinkle. He said he didn't even want to put the platic on the bike but his roomie wanted a picture.
Now if Honda made an F4i periwinkle with the black frame and black honda stickers would that be distinct enough?
I do agree though, they should have different schemes for each model. Thats why I love my bike. Solid bright yellow really stands out.
And, damn, that F4i looks sharp! I finally rode a 2000 F4 and was pleasently suprised. I has come a long way from my old F2. Wonder what a F4i rides like for the average person.

·
Registered
67 Posts
First....the F4i si a beautiful bike. Can someone buy me one? While you are at it can you buy me a VTX and a Gsxr 1000? Thanks.
Second...Birdman..what is up with your work blocking motorcycle.com??? If you give me so info I can probably tell you how to get around it...but before that try....

http://www.anonymous.com its a website that allows you to access anything you want through THIER site and no one will know the better. :D

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
funksouljon said:
I met a guy last weekend who had his TL1000 painted dark blue. When it came back it was actually periwinkle. He said he didn't even want to put the platic on the bike but his roomie wanted a picture.
Now if Honda made an F4i periwinkle with the black frame and black honda stickers would that be distinct enough?
I do agree though, they should have different schemes for each model. Thats why I love my bike. Solid bright yellow really stands out.
And, damn, that F4i looks sharp! I finally rode a 2000 F4 and was pleasently suprised. I has come a long way from my old F2. Wonder what a F4i rides like for the average person.
Now Jon, you're not suggesting that Ducati uses any more individuality, from model to model, compared to the Japanese are you? (ie, 748/916/955/996 or 750ss/900ss or 600/750/900Monster) ;):p

Seriously, I agree. It is done by all of the companies now. They should try to show more idividuality from model to model. Course Honda did make that ugly damn orange and black F4. :eek::p:D J/K It wouldn't be that bad if I didn't live in Tennessee Volunteer country. Everything is orange. :(

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'll tell you one thing that I absolutely hate about the new F4i, the RC51, Duc 748, 916/996, and many other bike with the dual bulb set up, and that is the one headlight for low beam and two for high beam. Man I hate that. While we are talking styling, I cannot understand why Honda went with the wing graphics on the 929s in the States. It makes the 929 look almost identical to the F4. I think that they should have released the 929 with the Fireblade graphics like they did here in Canada, and the rest of the world. Does anybody have any idea why Honda went with the wing graphics for the States, and Fireblade graphics everywhere else? For that matter, why do they call it the CBR929RR in the States, and still the CBR900RR Fireblade everywhere else?

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Cycle gaints have been doing that re-naming from country to country thing for years now. I think only harley (small H on purpose) has maintained a constant naming scheme, which is good cause if they diverted any of their effort to renaming machines thier equipment would be even more out dated.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
What I have been told on the subject of the US using the CBR name instead of the Fireblade name it that the so-called marketing experts have determined that the American market has been less receptive to changes. We supposedly are not into names like Fireblade, Thundercat, Thunderace, etc. I guess the marketing geniusses(spelling? :D ) decided that we Americans like the RC-51 name better than the SP-1 name. Sticking with the racing tradition they say. Don't break the string(RC-30,45,51 and the RVF/RVT).

I personally have never been a big fan of the Fireblade graphics used in Europe/Canada, with a couple of exceptions. I do agree though about the wing graphics on the 929,RC-51 and F4i. I like the 2001 VTR1000SP1 for Europe/Canada... all silver. I guess I do like the RC-51/RVT100R name though. ;)

·
Registered
653 Posts
CBR900RR had a bad rep for being a "has been" bike in the US, dunno about in Canada and Europe. Even though the last incarnation of the 900RR was drastically improved in every aspect, people still saw it as the ole 900RR. Also, a new name gives people a chance to get better full coverage rates for at least a few years from what I understand. It takes time for the bike to get a bad rep with the insurrance companies I was told.

That said, anyone else really dig the 2001 yellow/black 929rr? It is not the orangish yellow of the 2000 model, but almost identical to the gixxer yellow they use.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Rob Nance said:

That said, anyone else really dig the 2001 yellow/black 929rr? It is not the orangish yellow of the 2000 model, but almost identical to the gixxer yellow they use.

Personally, I REALLY DISLIKE the new 'Honda Yellow'. It's almost neon! It looks cheap and I wont buy a bike with that crapola color on it. ~very disappointing. :(

I like the yellow that came on the 98 and 99 900RR much better.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
riverrunner_2000 said:
Rob Nance said:

Personally, I REALLY DISLIKE the new 'Honda Yellow'. It's almost neon! It looks cheap and I wont buy a bike with that crapola color on it. ~very disappointing. :(

I like the yellow that came on the 98 and 99 900RR much better.
Watch it KJ, we've been through this already. :mad:;) The new yellow looks much better because it is more of a neon. :D:D

Rob, you watch it too. We don't compare the looks of a Suzuki to any Honda. Suzukis are ugly and Hondas are beautiful, regardless of color. :D;)

Oh yeah back on subject. The new F4i ram air ducts are pretty neat looking from the front. :cool:

·
Registered
653 Posts
I also love Hondas RCJohn. I used to really love the Honda deep yellow, but it got old, and it looked kinda weird the more I saw it. I think that Honda has a bad habit of making their bikes have styling cues that tend to make the bikes look porkier than they really are. I think with the new colors for 2001 on the 929, F4i, and the new F4i body, they are back into the running as far as looks. They were never bad looking, don't flip on me RCJohn! They were just not up at that top rung in looks for my personal taste.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
LOL!! :D:D

Okay now that I've had my fun I'll confess. I don't really like yellow vehicles much. At least not enough to actually buy one. :D:p

I think the red/black F4i is pretty damn nice looking. :cool: Will it be offered in the red/silver combo like the F4s came in? :confused:

I prefer the all silver VTR1000SP1(RC-51) over the red/black/silver one that I own. It is nice to have frame number 129 though. ;)

I would like to see a 929 with black paint and a chrome wing/graphics package. :cool: And purple neon under the tail section. Pete might be able to do this when he moves back up to the 929. It would look good with the zebra fur seat. :rolleyes::D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Why make the two tone three tone color choice at all? Go with a VFR or a Bird and settle it.
BTW is it just me or is there something really wrong with the new RED Blackbird of 2001? Couldnt Honda have simply discarded the friggin bike rather then torture it?

[Edited by Omnipresence on 01-02-2001 at 11:38 AM]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts