57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i think i understand this ok....

is this a good starter bike???

I'm lookin at one after work guys....

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
SORRY but that is a hot trotting 600cc four pot road racer designed for racers or experienced riders in its replica form with lights & such. NOT for beginners for it is not a forgiving bike in how it handles, lousy at slow speeds & tight parking lot torns or take-off & turns from stop signs.

Tops in suspension system & stopping power for 125mph & more. Such a bike is suffering if you ride it around the city streets & even more so when you are LEARNING.

Look at the Kawasaki & Suzuki 500cc vertical twins that are faster off the stop sign then most cages & can still take you up to around 100mph. A REGULAR ricing position & NOT the extreme lean forward position with clip-ons & rear-sets trying to compete with your butt. This has a one-piece handlebar mounted on top of the top yoke of the forks & the footrests & controls are lower & sort of under you legs like sitting in a chair.

Cost of a new one compared to a sportbike is less & so is the insurance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS Smitty,

that's kind of what I thought but I read this one post and this dude was talking how the f4i was going to be his "first bike"...I’m like wtf? Did I miss something here? From the looks of it, no one in the thread raised a brow...
haha, I called the salesman and asked him if he had any used f4i, he no but then he said I got a 929....I told him yeah, that kind of to much bike for a new guy to start riding...he paused and then he said yeah...it's a fast bike...

I'm not sure what some of these new guys are thinking?
I don't think they are mis-informed...
Is it denial, I don't care, I know better...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
iammalkavian said:
...that's kind of what I thought but I read this one post and this dude was talking how the f4i was going to be his "first bike"...
Maybe it was an older model? I've seen f4is recommended as starter bikes, but those ones were older models.

Maybe mid-late '90s, I'm not sure.:confused:

·
Registered
604 Posts
older F2 or F3's......

What do you think about recommending some of the older F2's and 3's, that you may be able to find? Aren't they underpowered by today's standards? I guess if we could look at those, we could also look at some of the older Ninja 600's.....:confused: Just a different direction of thought! Like I have said in previous posts, I started on a Ninja 250.:D....and thankfull for it!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Re: older F2 or F3's......

endleswavz said:
What do you think about recommending some of the older F2's and 3's, that you may be able to find? Aren't they underpowered by today's standards?
I bought my first bike a couple months ago. It's a 97 F3. I think it's a great beginner bike. It's very forgiving when you make beginner mistakes, but it has a lot of power. Obviously you won't take a new bike off the line, but I can hang with other guys who have gixxers etc when we go riding in the twisties.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
sidewaysducati said:
Maybe it was an older model? I've seen f4is recommended as starter bikes, but those ones were older models.

Maybe mid-late '90s, I'm not sure.:confused:

ok, like for instance this bike right here....according to this site, which seems legit, but you never know..

Model: Honda CBR 600 F
Year: 1990
Category: Sport
Power: 93.00 HP (67.9 kW)) @ 11000 RPM
Top speed: 227.0 km/h (141.1 mph)

Here is the source
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_600_f_1990.php

Maybe it was this one!!!

Honda CBR 600 F (reduced effect) 1990

Model: Honda CBR 600 F (reduced effect)
Power: 50.00 HP (36.5 kW)) @ 9000 RPM
Top speed: 187.0 km/h (116.2 mph)

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_600_f_reduced_effect_1990.php

Yeah, makes sense...just NOT this one....

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_600_f4i_2004.php

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: what post are you talking about?

endleswavz said:
immalkavian....what post are you talking about.......?:) I'd like to take a look at it.;)

I don't remember..but I know read someone saying that
"it was going to be there first bike"...that's what got my attention...thinking hey, I want one to!!!
:crying:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Re: Re: older F2 or F3's......

Unas_the_Slayer said:
I bought my first bike a couple months ago. It's a 97 F3. I think it's a great beginner bike. It's very forgiving when you make beginner mistakes, but it has a lot of power. Obviously you won't take a new bike off the line, but I can hang with other guys who have gixxers etc when we go riding in the twisties.

OH MAN!! this one?!?!?!?

1997 Honda CBR 600 F3

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_600_f_1997.php

OH MAN>>>I gotta find one man....:twofinger

Do you feel that due to your skill level you cannot harness and use the power that is there..or is it just right...kinda like the third porridge the three little bears??? :p

if this is the bike, and I think it is, Here are the Specs...

Year: 1997
Power: 105.00 HP (76.6 kW))
Torque: 63.00 Nm (6.4 kgf-m or 46.5 ft.lbs)
Top speed: 250.0 km/h (155.3 mph) :cool:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
iammalkavian said:
ok, like for instance this bike right here....according to this site, which seems legit, but you never know..

Power: 93.00 HP (67.9 kW)) @ 11000 RPM
Top speed: 227.0 km/h (141.1 mph)

Here is the source
http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_600_f_1990.php

Maybe it was this one!!!

Honda CBR 600 F (reduced effect) 1990

Model: Honda CBR 600 F (reduced effect)
Power: 50.00 HP (36.5 kW)) @ 9000 RPM
Top speed: 187.0 km/h (116.2 mph)

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_600_f_reduced_effect_1990.php

Yeah, makes sense...just NOT this one....

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cbr_600_f4i_2004.php
Just for clarity's sake.. All I meant was that I'd seen one recommended. In what thread I don't know, memory ain't for s**t.

As far as any of those bikes actually being good learners, I'd say no. Even the weaker of those bikes, the one with 50 hp, has geometry that I'd call anything but forgiving.
As far as what bikes are good learners, others around here are more qualified to say. There's about 700 active threads on the matter, in fact.:thumb:

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I didn't bother reading all of the posts here, but will simply say thet there are a number of members here who think that a 600 is just fine to start on, myself being one of them. Most of us don't bother posting those opinions anymore as we are generally attacked over them, and we've grown tired of arguing about it over and over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Best Starter bike is a Honda XR70(no Joke)

Guys,
I personally believe before anyone ever gets on the street w/a bike they should really have some serious time on a dirt bike. Have a few spills,learn to respect speed.
Then get into a few tight spots w/hills,rocks and various situations that are less catostrophic if you make a mistake.
Once you are on the street it is the real world.

The actual best bike is a Honda XR70 at age 6

Dlo

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Best Starter bike is a Honda XR70(no Joke)

Dlonam said:
Guys,
I personally believe before anyone ever gets on the street w/a bike they should really have some serious time on a dirt bike. Have a few spills,learn to respect speed.
Then get into a few tight spots w/hills,rocks and various situations that are less catostrophic if you make a mistake.
Once you are on the street it is the real world.

The actual best bike is a Honda XR70 at age 6

Dlo
Yeah, I spent many summer on a 1985 YZ80. Loved it!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
spicersh said:
I didn't bother reading all of the posts here, but will simply say thet there are a number of members here who think that a 600 is just fine to start on, myself being one of them. Most of us don't bother posting those opinions anymore as we are generally attacked over them, and we've grown tired of arguing about it over and over.
hahaha, ok man...I'll lay off...

·
Registered
13 Posts
sidewaysducati said:
As far as any of those bikes actually being good learners, I'd say no. Even the weaker of those bikes, the one with 50 hp, has geometry that I'd call anything but forgiving.

has geometry that I'd call anything but forgiving

think u can explain what your are look at when u say that plz
ive herd people say but im not really to sure what there looking at heh

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
DamageOverTime said:
has geometry that I'd call anything but forgiving

think u can explain what your are look at when u say that plz
ive herd people say but im not really to sure what there looking at heh
Just the bike as a whole. It's hard to explain clearly without going into a lot of detail, so I won't.:D

The front forks are key, but you can tell just by looking at the bike. "Can't judge a book by its cover" ain't always true, ya know?

Short front forks + clip ons + small rake angle = sensitive handling. More sensitive to inputs than something that's more middle of the road.

If you look at a Ninja 500 (for example) and compare that to one of those F4is, or even a late model bad-ass literbike, you'll see the difference.

As an extreme example, one extreme to the other, take a chopper. A drunken monkey could ride one of those. Compare it to an R1, CBR1000, ZXwhatever (I don't know what Kaw's liter is, hehe), GSX-1000, etc. etc.

The chopper is easy to ride because it has an assenine wheel base and insanely long forks with a high rake angle.
Conversely, The aforementioned liters (and, relatively speaking, those F4is in question) have very short wheelbases and short forks with small rake angles.

So to answer your question, I just look at the bike as a whole, then the forks. You can tell whether a bike is unfriendly or not generally just by the way it looks as a whole.
(Again, I cite the Ninja 500 as an example of a relatively friendly bike, and a new liter as an example of an unforgiving bastard).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts