Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone has for home stereo`s.I`ve got a Yamaha amp/receiver and a Yamaha cassette deck with "Energy" speakers-4 satellites,2 subs and a center channel speaker.Its a pretty good mid-grade package.My other system is Harmon/Kardon amp-receiver,Harmon/Kardon cd player and a Harmon/Kardon cassette deck with JBL bookshelf speakers.My H/K system just kicks butt on the other system.Am in the process of looking for a 10 or 12 inch powered subwoofer for the H/K system.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
'sup bro?
My system is a Pioneer 500watt Dolby Pro Logic receiver.
Cambridge Soundworks center channel
Yamaha 3-way Front spkrs. with 8" driver
Yamaha 3-way surround spkrs.
Pioneer 12" dual voice coil 200watt down-firing sub powered by Pioneer 200 watt amp.
Yamaha 5-disc CD changer

Working on DVD player to replace or in addition to good ole' VCR :D

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Anyone have Bose speakers? For the money, I think they have very good sound reproduction---just need to add another powered subwoofer, the one that comes with it is a bit weak.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Marantz SR-18 THX Ultra receiver
Sony DVP-S7700 DVD
Definitive Technology BP30 fronts
Definitive Technology CLR2000 center
Paradigm ADP350 surrounds left over from previous system
Miller & Kreisel MX350THX sub
(a friend of mine runs two of these subs and he can't hang pictures in that whole end of his house):D

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Thunder Underground

I just moved into a house with much more space for all my toys then my previous place. I pulled out all my equipment. I have an extensive Pioneer Reciever / CD / Dat / Cassette / Amp / EQ Setup with 300 Watt Advents - which sound incredible. I also have Pioneer ImPP free air series Subs that have been converted to 8 ohm for home use. Let's just say that some clubs wish they had my setup. I can't be in the room with the volume set at 4 (of out 10) and the system does not and will not distort at full volume which is ridiculous anyway.

I also have a BBE (Barcus Berry Electronics) digital EQ with surround sound that is simply undescribable.

Thanks to a small network of PCs in the house along with Napster and Put up Your Jukes, I have access to over 400 CDs that I can play through my setup with the click of a mouse.

I'm having a Halloween party on Friday Night, I hope my neighbors like my taste in music!! ;)

Chris

[Edited by chris_y2k_r1 on 10-26-2000 at 07:16 AM]

·
Registered
503 Posts
i just have my brothers shelf system. ive been considering using car audio to build a system using my dj amps to drive them. when i was in college (art school) i built a 5.5 ft tall head that had 12"mtx subs as eyes, the mouth was a cd player, the neck had 6.5 components.. 2 amps. sounded insane... looked insane. i want to do something similar again..

chris.. why did u convert the ImPP to 8 ohms? i would think your pioneer reciever would play fine at 4 ohms.. & u would get more power. it sounds like i would love to plug my mixer into your sound system though.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Speed - Actually the AMP is older and is only stable at 8 OHMS - the speakers are rated at four so I wired them through one channel in series to get the right resistance.

It probably would operate OK at 4 ohms but I wouldn't want to take the chance, it could fry the High Output Chip over time. I've had that happen once already and finding a replacement chip is like finding a needle in a hay stack. Can you say thanks Dad for being an electronics engineer!

·
Registered
741 Posts
eeek!

I have:
Onkyo 500 watt dolby surround receiver
JVC 400 watt receiver that strictly runs the two mtx 12" subwoofers
sony dvd player
JVC dual cassete
JVC 7 disc changer
JVC vcr
Technics EQ
4 16" pioneer three way speakers
and a partrige in a pear tree
just bought a 32" tv, man is that huge!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
poor me!

Listening to you guys talk about stereos makes me feel poor. Of course all my money goes to the bike. But I do have a pretty good stereo in my car I guess:
Panasonic CD Player
JBL MIDS and TWEETERS in the front
ALPINE V12 AMP 240W
2X 12" MTX TERMINATOR SUBS

I would love to get a home stereo system for the TV but then Id have to get a bigger tv... or sit closer :)

Checked into a Digital Receiver a while ago thinking for christmas time... instead i bought the bike... decisions decisions :( :)

Ice

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
All Pioneer components with Klipsh speakers. Like the speakers. Excellent sound.

The wife and I have looked at the Harmon Kardon stuff but just couldn't swing the money at the time... RC 51 on the way and all. :D Maybe someday after I build the one of a kind SV powered sportbike. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Which room?

My home office system consists of an Adcom GFP 565 preamp, Adcom GFA 5300 amp (125 wpc), Magneplanar MMG electrostatic speakers ($500 a pair, the best bang for the buck in audio), Marantz CD-63 Mk. II, and Marantz SD-645 dual cassette deck.

The living room system consists of a Marantz SR-880 Mk. II surround sound receiver, Sony DVP 5300 DVD player, Definitive Technology CLR 1000 center channel speaker, Snell Type M front channel speakers, Snell E-III rear channel speakers, and an Audio Concepts Quake subwoofer (another bargain at under $500). The television is a 32-inch Zenith inteq.

The system in the garage is a bit more modest: Sony 100 wpc amp with variable output, cheap JVC CD changer, and Paradigm Titan speakers.

I have about 1,000 CDs and 200 DVDs to go along with the systems.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yamaha M60 Main Amp
Yamaha C60 Pre-Amp
Yamaha T-1020 Tuner
Yamaha SR-30 Surround Amp
Teac 909 Cassette
Akai Video Controller
Akai Video Processor
Pioneer CLD-900 Compact/Laser Disc Player
Yamaha Digital Clock/Timer
Bose 901 Main Speakers
Bose 301 Surround Speakers
Toshiba DVD Player
Sony 27" TV

All bought in 1985 and The Yamaha stuff still KICKS ASS!!
Yamaha stereo, Yamaha R1 ... coincedence, I think NOT!!!
Tuning Forks KICK much ASS!!!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Yamaha does make good stereo equipment.
But I have a kenwood receiver w/ kenwood surround sound.
And a sony playstation for cd's! Hey, I already had the playstation, why spend the dough if I can put it in my bike? Gonna get a PS2 though, for cd and dvd's.

My atari just broke for good. RIP

·
Registered
68 Posts
Adcom GFT 555 tuner
Adcom GFD 555 preamp
2 Adcom GFA 555 amps
Denon DCU 520 CD player
Denon DRS 810 Tape player
Paradigm Studio Monitors
M&K MX 100 sub.

Yes, my street loves me.

500 watts of Black Sabbath and a bottle of Jack
and you'll see god.

Mike

·
Registered
440 Posts
Tirefryer said:
500 watts of Black Sabbath and a bottle of Jack
and you'll see god.

There goes the new kid, proving the old adage that to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid. Black Sabbath and Jack Daniels? No wonder your neighbors never visit. Try some Wayne Kramer and a bottle of MacAllan.

Class, boy, class. There are two kinds, and Ozzy ain't the good kind. ;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts